Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:22 PM

5 posts, read 44,748 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to PG County after this summer to teach and hopefully get a coaching job. I'm from Central NY so I know this will be a whole different world down south but I'm looking on suggestions where to live. I don't mind working in a city atmosphere but I don't want to live in one. I heard there are some nice places in PG but I've scrolled through and haven't heard any mentioned in the previous posts. Please help me out and if anyone has any info on PG County as a whole...please let me know. I want to get as much information before I commit to this teaching job. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:06 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
I lived in PG as a child, it was nice then, but going back a few years ago, the neighborhood I lived in was really bad. When we lived there, my Dad had the yard manicured to perfection, as did most all of the neighbors, and when we went back it was so sad, it was like a slum ;( PG is a pretty busy county, my sister lives in St Marys, and it is even getting busy, of course I have never been to NYC.. Best of luck in your search!!! Hope all goes well for you

Old 04-18-2007, 06:25 PM

165 posts, read 926,334 times
Lightbulb Prince George's County

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstatecash3 View Post
I'm looking to move to PG County after this summer to teach and hopefully get a coaching job. I'm from Central NY so I know this will be a whole different world down south but I'm looking on suggestions where to live. I don't mind working in a city atmosphere but I don't want to live in one. I heard there are some nice places in PG but I've scrolled through and haven't heard any mentioned in the previous posts. Please help me out and if anyone has any info on PG County as a whole...please let me know. I want to get as much information before I commit to this teaching job. Thanks.
What are you looking to get into in regards to housing and how much of a commute are you willing to make? If you can afford it I'd suggest being very meticulous in your home search and not locking yourself to just PG County as an option.

Not everyone is thrilled with parts of PG County so just be choosy when picking a place. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 44,748 times
i'm willing to do about a half hour at most. What are some of the better areas in the county to look at for housing and also what about the neighboring counties that are closse enough to make a commute from? Are there nice areas in PG b/c all I hear are people dragging it down. thanks.

Old 04-20-2007, 08:52 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,395,579 times
Some nice areas of PG would be Mitchellville, Lake Arbor, Upper Marlboro and much of Bowie and Laurel. The general rule of thumb is the further away from the Beltway, the better. As far as neighboring counties, Howard, Anne Arundel and Charles counties all border PG but it depends where exactly within the county you'll be working as to which would make more sense to live in. Generally, people leaving PG County due to quality of life issues, have been heading south to Charles County.

Old 04-22-2007, 09:04 AM

24 posts, read 108,753 times
I would not live there at all.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:24 AM

175 posts, read 733,803 times
Coming from Central New York i'd have to warn about what "affordable" means in the DC Metro area. While low cost housing in Maine, New Hamsphire, Kentucky, and other places outside of major metro areas means low cost housing, decent schools, and low crime not in the DC area!! If you're looking for affordable in PG, Moco, or VA for that matter its going to be a mix of section 8 people and other working poor people. The crime is going to be bad no matter where you go for this price. Unless you want to travel to the sticks like St.Mary's which is equally as poor if not more so than some of the areas in PG,Moco, and Va, but does not have the same level of crime and that being violent crime. If you do not have kids maybe living in PG is the place, but you definitely do not want to live in an "affordable" negihborhood, becuase that means anyone can afford to levae there and that's exactly what you'll get any and everyone with a bi-weekly pay check or governemtne handout.....

Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Check out "old Greenbelt", especially the "Greenbelt Homes Inc", it is a co-op and still fairly affordable, if you want to buy. They also have some pretty nice apartments that are not too expensive. A friend of ours lives there. But stay away from Springhill Lake, lots of crime over in that part of Greenbelt.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:41 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,392 times
I wouldn't live here at all either. Where in PG would you be working? Depending on where you want to live and where you will be working will determine if your commute is 30 mins. I highly doubt that, our traffic is congested especially if you are traveling the regular working hours as others.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:28 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,872 times
I live in Upper Marlboro and I love it. Evey county have its issues. If oyu want to live in a nice area you have to pay the cost. Just the same if you move to Montgomery or washington Dc Price Georges county is the same. I pay the cost to live in the in the good community in pg county. The people who have the horrible stories they all live in the poor areas so of course they will have horrible stories. But in my community and surround areas in Upper marlboro if you are making under a $100,000 dollars you might as well not think about buying a home around where I live in Upper Marlboro. I would love it if everyone on this forum could see the good part of pg county is like if they see the good areas they would but a home in no time in pg county the good areas of course because I would never live or go to areas such as Capitol Heights, District Heights, Oxon Hill and Temple Hill. and thye folks who are posting the negative posting about Pg county live inone of these areas so I would consider any one that live in any of these areas poor people. I have never an dI know no one on this forum have ever eatch the news and heard of violence,murders or robbings in Upper Marlboro, Bowie, fort Washington, Clinton areas. People are posting the commuinties ae getting worst then why everywhere I go in Upper Marlboro Builders are building nothin but million dollar homes that makes no sense before you criticize the entire county why don't you folks get out of the hood in pg and go into the more wealthy areas. What people have to realize is that in ever county their are poor areas and those folks that live in poor areas all ways experience violence in their community. I have a friend who live in Montgomery county maryland close to white oak Silver spring area and I am scared for my life to visit her. When ever I go to that part of mOntgomery county to visit her I hear gunshot, They have a lot of gangs and these are things I have never never witness in Upper Marlboro Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland