Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you excited to learn of the new name for the WFT?
I am not excited at all ! 5 12.20%
I want the original Redskin name back! 16 39.02%
I cannot root for this ownership 9 21.95%
I dont care either way 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2022, 01:25 PM

6,382 posts, read 2,953,864 times

Advertisements

Should have been the Swamp-monsters.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 07:44 PM

7,123 posts, read 11,416,440 times
My issue with Commanders isn't just that it is dumb, it has no easy way to shorten into a nickname. 3 syllables is a lot for a sports team name, most end up with nicknames

Patriots = Pats
Buccaneers = Bucs
49ers = Niners
Commanders = Commies?

Old 02-03-2022, 05:52 AM

13,686 posts, read 20,848,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Baltimore's population rank has fallen in that time. It's barely a top 30 media market now and the gameday experience of squeegee kids mobbing cars coming off the highway isn't helping.

No one in their right mind would put a team there now. Keeping a team there means 10-15k a night, many of whom wear away team jerseys.
Please ....

Baltimore means the city and more than that, the surrounding suburbs. Yes, like all cities, the population has dropped. And the suburbs have grown.

The squeegee kids and other malcontents will be dealt with when enforcing the law becomes in vogue again.

The crowd will return when they have a decent team and there is no longer a pandemic.

So it goes with all teams.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:58 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,785,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Please ....

Baltimore means the city and more than that, the surrounding suburbs. Yes, like all cities, the population has dropped. And the suburbs have grown.

You clearly didn't understand my post, I was referring to the metro area, not the city. Baltimore's media market, which obviously includes the suburbs, has been declining in rank for decades. It now ranks just 28th, behind Indy, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Portland, and Sacramento, and is on the verge of being surpassed by Salt Lake and San Antonio, all of which have teams in other sports, but not MLB. Bad for baseball to keep a team there, it's too small now for a sport that depends on in game attendance on local tv revenue. Even if the city wasn't a run down hellhole, there aren't enough people within Baltimore's sphere of influence to support baseball.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:43 AM

7,085 posts, read 9,618,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
My issue with Commanders isn't just that it is dumb, it has no easy way to shorten into a nickname. 3 syllables is a lot for a sports team name, most end up with nicknames

Patriots = Pats
Buccaneers = Bucs
49ers = Niners
Commanders = Commies?
Commanders = Commands? lol

Yeah. Silly name.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:46 AM

7,085 posts, read 9,618,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I'm sure it will be noted that the quintessential thing a Commander does is talk and how that is a fitting nickname for that team specifically and a D.C. team in general, even if perhaps not in the way it was intended by the creators.
Hmmmm. The Washington Columbians.

Throwback to the hog days.

The Washington Hogs. lol.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:39 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,756,493 times
The Commodes

Old 02-04-2022, 03:44 PM

7,123 posts, read 11,416,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Hmmmm. The Washington Columbians.

Throwback to the hog days.

The Washington Hogs. lol.
Too late now, but the D.C Ballhogs would have been pretty cool. Hogs for short, of course.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:48 AM

13,686 posts, read 20,848,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
You clearly didn't understand my post, I was referring to the metro area, not the city. Baltimore's media market, which obviously includes the suburbs, has been declining in rank for decades. It now ranks just 28th, behind Indy, Raleigh-Durham, Charlotte, Portland, and Sacramento, and is on the verge of being surpassed by Salt Lake and San Antonio, all of which have teams in other sports, but not MLB. Bad for baseball to keep a team there, it's too small now for a sport that depends on in game attendance on local tv revenue. Even if the city wasn't a run down hellhole, there aren't enough people within Baltimore's sphere of influence to support baseball.
I used one of my Dunn & Bradstreet databases to check the Orioles' revenues. More or less in line with the Nationals, Dodgers, Phillies, and others. If a business- teams are businesses- is doing well in its market and is in line with its peers, then the issue is moot.

Those other cities are welcome to petition MLB for expansion or woo some of teams that actually want to move like Oakland and Tampa Bay. Better yet, they can enter football and bribe the Commanders into moving there.

And that's that.

Old 02-06-2022, 06:55 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,785,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I used one of my Dunn & Bradstreet databases to check the Orioles' revenues. More or less in line with the Nationals, Dodgers, Phillies, and others.
LOL The Orioles estimated value is about 1/3rd the Dodgers. Their valuation is closer to the Rays than the Nats. And once the MASN contract with the Nats ends, they'll be worth less than the squeegee kids working the drivers near Camden Yards. And they'd be in even worse shape if nearly 1/4 of their "home" schedule wasn't an invasion of Yankee and Red Sox fans. Weeknights against other opponents will always be a struggle to top 10,000 as long as they're in a market that's too small for MLB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland