Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you excited to learn of the new name for the WFT?
I am not excited at all ! 5 12.20%
I want the original Redskin name back! 16 39.02%
I cannot root for this ownership 9 21.95%
I dont care either way 11 26.83%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 10:10 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beco View Post
The last 8 names I've heard floating around are as follows:

Admirals
Redhogs
Commanders
Presidents
Armada
Brigade
Defenders
Sentinels and
Washington Football Team

Are you in the least bit excited about this?
Most have no clue as to how Redskins was selected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I was a hard core fan for over 40 years. Recorded the games and watched the wins again. As the losses and embarrassing off the field drama piled up I became apathetic. But the sexual harassments investigation interference, and the league making it clear that they will allow Dan Snyder to do anything and they will never remove him, has forced me to bail completely. I hate this man more than any man alive, he has stolen my love. So I really don't give a rat's ass what the team name is, I'm done.
"I was a hard core fan for over 40 years."

Over 70 years here.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
Washington Nationals
Washington Capitals
Washington Federals

Does the Washington football team still have a fan base left in this state? I just assumed most "fans" were on the Virginia side of the Potomac.
" I just assumed most "fans" were on the Virginia side of the Potomac."

And you would be WRONG.
Prince Georges, Montgomery, Anne Arundel, Calvert, Howard, Charles, St. Mary's counties and many on the Eastern shore.

Fed Ex Field is in PG county.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:27 AM

Quote:
I never understood the hate for the Redskins in places like Baltimore, it was the entire reason I turned on the Ravens when they were stolen out of Cleveland. DC lost a team too, the Senators. When that happened in less than a decade their fans adopted the Orioles. Most everyone I knew in Montgomery County was an O's fan, they were on TV every night and it was a natural progression.

But the people of Baltimore did the exact opposite once they lost the Colts. The openly turned on the Redskins for one reason, it's Washington and the chip on the shoulder was very obvious. One told me they resented the Redskins being "forced" on them with the games being on TV. Not sure how that was any different than the O's being "forced on DC baseball fans. There is no difference of course other than the chip on the shoulder about DC.

That is why this has been so difficult for me. As I said I can't do it with Daniel Snyder anymore, that cover up in the sexual misconduct investigation was the final straw. I've gone from hating the Ravens to rooting for them in the playoffs when the played Pittsburgh to trying to root for them openly. I've been trying for 3 years but my heart is just not into it, you can't just adopt a team because you want to. The NFL is my favorite sport by far and here i sit without a team. This really sucks.
"I never understood the hate for the Redskins in places like Baltimore,"

"hate" is an over used and too strong of a word.

It is NOT uncommon for teams so close to each other to be strong "rivals".

"DC lost a team too, the Senators.", TWICE.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
That is the belief among fans. The other owners know if they try to force him out he will try to burn it all down and reveal their skeletons. Which is why this is hopeless for Washington fans because it's beyond obvious that they will never win with this horrible man as the owner.

For Roger Goodell to actually say there was no written report and later that Dan Snyder did not interfere in the investigation was downright insulting to anyone with a brain.
"because it's beyond obvious that they will never win with this horrible man as the owner."

I predicted this when he took over.

Could never understand why Jack Kent Cook didn't bring his son into the "business", so he could take over the team.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Similar applied to the Yankee's (still does).
But "hate" is too strong... disregard and contempt for the same DC shoulder chip vs B'more.
(yeah.. I just reversed your interpretation of all that)
a) Fan loyalty from wherever they came is diluted by carpetbaggerism.
b) The post 1960 era had the Orioles at the top of the standings.
Getting behind a winner is easy.
2nd favorite teams pick up the slack. An uncle was nuts about Vince Lombardi and the Packers.
That sentiment lingered on.
"Fan loyalty from wherever they came is diluted by carpetbaggerism"

And you have nerve to call your self, "Rational"!

Old 01-12-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Snowflakes would be the most fitting given the politically correct motives! I know several people of Native American descent who are not offended by Redskins or Indians or Braves, but I guess they don't get to speak for Native Americans, only the most overly sensitive and easily offended of any group gets to speak for that group!

Or it can be some kind of swamp creaturel, and the unofficial name for the stadium would be the DC Swamp.
"I know several people of Native American descent who are not offended by Redskins"

OK, I will give the history.

The team originated in Boston. The head coach's main assistant was an INDIAN.

When they decided on a team they chose "Redskins".

The coach asked his assistant what the tribe would think of the name.

The tribe was so PROUD when they had the naming ceremony all the Chiefs came in full Indian regalia.

Twice, that I know of, a poll was taken of the Indian Nation, and each time over 80% said they were NOT offended and LIKED the name.

It is a shame when people NOT associated with the Indian Nation get a voice.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The Brigade is the best out of those options.

The Redskins took so long to retire. What a super offensive name, glad it happened.
"What a super offensive name"

"You do not have the right to not be offended by the free speech of others"

Old 01-12-2022, 10:05 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Agreed. I've always been disappointed that New Orleans didn't name their team the "New Orleans Coona$$es".

"Saints" is offensive to Protestants.
In fact atheists are said to be offended since Saints has religious overtones. I do think some Protestant denominations have saints too like St. Andrews. I'm surprised the Fighting Irish and the Vikings are still allowed!

They want to rename the Redskins because using them as a mascot disrespects American Indians. They are against Rebels or Tigers (the Louisiana Tigers were a Confederate regiment) because that shows respect for the Confederacy. Liberals will find some way to be offended one way or another.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:06 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I know several people of Native American descent who are not offended by Redskins"

OK, I will give the history.

The team originated in Boston. The head coach's main assistant was an INDIAN.

When they decided on a team they chose "Redskins".

The coach asked his assistant what the tribe would think of the name.

The tribe was so PROUD when they had the naming ceremony all the Chiefs came in full Indian regalia.

Twice, that I know of, a poll was taken of the Indian Nation, and each time over 80% said they were NOT offended and LIKED the name.

It is a shame when people NOT associated with the Indian Nation get a voice.
My point exactly! Only the most offended and PC of any group gets to speak for that group. Just like you will never hear from Mexican Americans who want the border secured and are against illegal immigration or black people who support police and are tired of crime in the ghettoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland