Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 10:30 AM

98 posts, read 291,427 times

Advertisements

Researching places to live, how would you compare Crownsville, Gambrills and Davidsonville in terms of the community, the vibe and the people. They all seem to be somewhat rural environments, but what else makes them similar or not. Any feedback on any of the communities, I'd like to hear form you. TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 02:55 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Just basing my opinion on available real estate and Wikipedia, I would pick Crownsville first, then Davidsonville.

C'ville has some water-priviledged communities in your price range. It also has the County fairgrounds and hosts the Maryland Renaissance Festival in the summer, so you would have some things to do. I was at the Ren Fest once, and really enjoyed it.

Davidsonville is semirural and small. Its main advantage is being on Central Avenue, allowing a straight commute to the DC Beltway. I think you would spend all your weekends mowing the lawn if you bought a house on a large lot there.

Gambrills would not be my choice. It is tiny and affluent, but it is close to Odenton and Fort Meade. Many neighbors would be Army people and spooks from NSA who can't talk about their work.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:10 AM

Hmm...o.k. thanks for the feedback. I don't think we mind Army people. Familiar with the Ren Fair - though it might be fun to attend - not sure I'd need it in my community. Good to know though.

Anyone else live in these communities? How would you describe the people? Is there a central gathering place in any of these communities that neighbors frequent? What's your favorite and least favorite thing about living there?

So we've lived in a very right leaning/conservative place and a very left leaning/liberal place - I know I can look up the stats on these places, but informal opinions would be nice too. What's the general vibe?

Thank you.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetobe View Post
......Anyone else live in these communities? How would you describe the people? Is there a central gathering place in any of these communities that neighbors frequent? ......
I hate to be the only one responding. However, i doubt very much that you will get a response from anyone who has actually lived in Gambrils or Davidsonville. They are just too small.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:03 AM

Of the real estate in Gambrills, I saw only one house with a community pool. Maryland government is mostly throught the counties rather than towns, so there has been no "town" delvelopment in Gambrills. It is a string of small businesses along Route 175, along with a Post Office a Baptist church and a daycare center. There's a General Store and David's Natural Market. There are the County's agricultural extension services and its 4H office. One noteworthy thing about Gambrills is that it used to be the home of the Naval Academy's dairy farm before the milk purchase was outsourced. The other is that it has the Maryland Corn Maze in the fall and winter: https://mdcornmaze.com/

I'd say it is still quiet and fairly rural.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:57 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,931,061 times
Living near a military base means there will be a lot of rental property.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Living near a military base means there will be a lot of rental property.
Something to consider. Thanks.

Old 06-04-2020, 04:03 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
What are you looking for? Are you trying to avoid something? Gambrills also runs through Crofton.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:55 AM

Just trying to get a sense of these communities, what the people are like. We live in a very connected community now and we do like the idea of living somewhere that has some central gathering place whether it be a town or an association or a clubhouse.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetobe View Post
Just trying to get a sense of these communities, what the people are like. We live in a very connected community now and we do like the idea of living somewhere that has some central gathering place whether it be a town or an association or a clubhouse.
Have you considered Columbia? I used to live there in the 1970's, and it has a great homeowners' association with recreation opportunities all over: pools, tennis, gyms, a community church. They have newsletters and special papers. There are commuter buses going from many parts of Columbia to DC and Baltimore.

I doubt very much that Crownsville, Gambrills or Davidsonville would give you a sense of community. People who live on large lots do so because they value their privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland