Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 07:13 PM

80 posts, read 86,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
How naive are you? Of course those conversations have happened. And of course we as a couple have experienced discrimination first hand based on my wife being black. I am not asking if Calvert is some utopia from racism, because no matter where I live, I will have to deal with racism in one form or another.

Since apparently I need to educate you on race relations, a black couple or an interracial couple is going to do a little more research on an area such as Calvert when there is a less percentage of people of color living in that area. It's amazing when my wife and I travel to places that have the same percentage of people of color as Calvert, that we get more looks and stares as compared to a more diverse area. Some comments have even been made towards us. This happens less frequently to us in places that are more diverse.

Since I have posted this thread I was able to reach out to an interracial couple living in Calvert and when they first were looking at homes, someone spray painted "No N*ggers Allowed" on a shed on the property they looked at multiple times right before they were about to sign on the dotted line. Do you think that would have happened in a more diverse county? Chances are probably not.

You think I am posting a stupid question because you are not in a situation such as I am and don't have to worry about the same things I do. So like I said, you probably shouldn't be commenting on something you know nothing about because it makes you look naive.
About the incidents were a racial slur was written on a shed? when and where did this occur?!!?, chances are this story is cap, anyways it’s clear that Calvert county is not you for, unfortunately judging by this thread your child will definitely be bullied, and you should consider either a private school, or Howard county , Calvert is not for you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
You seem ignorant of the world you live in. In all honesty I wish you the best but it seems you are someone who looks for the worst and feels entitled to look for the bad. Sounds like no where in Maryland in good for you and your assumptions shoot you down. You might be a smart person but you haven't a clue.
I agree with everything in this comment, except I do feel like OP should consider Bullock island in milestown MD, it is extremely diverse, welcoming, top rated community in southern Maryland

Old 05-14-2020, 07:23 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticH View Post
How is brim an insult???, are you not from Maryland???, Everyone in the dmv knows what it means, (it’s another word for “bro”, mixed with “bruh”)(it was created by kids in DHS)
Most of us here don't speak what ever idiotic vernacular that is, that's why G1 asked for a translation. Nor do most adults refer to the area as DMV.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most of us here don't speak what ever idiotic vernacular that is, that's why G1 asked for a translation. Nor do most adults refer to the area as DMV.
The original post of which he asked to translate was not in vernacular sir, the second comment is debatable, the dc area is well known as the “dmv” in popular culture

Old 05-14-2020, 08:35 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticH View Post
How is brim an insult???, are you not from Maryland???, Everyone in the dmv knows what it means, (it’s another word for “bro”, mixed with “bruh”)(it was created by kids in DHS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Twenty-six years in Maryland. I've never heard "brim" in any context other than "the brim of a hat" or "fill it to the brim." Don't know what DHS is (other than Department of Human Services). First twelve years of my life were spent in Northern Virginia, and I never heard "DMV" other than the Department of Motor Vehicles. I'll admit that I've started hearing it, in the past few years, to refer to the National Capital Region.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Twenty-six years in Maryland. I've never heard "brim" in any context other than "the brim of a hat" or "fill it to the brim." Don't know what DHS is (other than Department of Human Services). First twelve years of my life were spent in Northern Virginia, and I never heard "DMV" other than the Department of Motor Vehicles. I'll admit that I've started hearing it, in the past few years, to refer to the National Capital Region.
interesting

Old 05-15-2020, 06:41 AM

47 posts, read 56,674 times
I hear/see DMV on a regular basis but I’ve never heard anyone called brim.

Old 05-15-2020, 09:27 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
I see you're apparently quite the detective. Well if you must know, that I stopped looking for homes and never moved. Now I am ready to move and doing my research again. That thread doesn't answer the question I post on this one anyways.
No one answered your question on a forum in 2016 so you stopped researching immediately? This forum can't be you're only source for demographics can it?

In addition, a person's personal experience will never be YOUR personal experience. I have been in many discussions about safety in certain areas. People all have different experiences. A person may feel an area is racially intolerant whereas another person in that same area may have never experienced racism.

Your kid may go to a school and be in the popular crowd in a non-diverse area, and in a diverse area be bullied for some odd reason other than race.

Different kids matriculate through school each year. What someone experienced at a school last year, the kid or kids who may have bullied someone may not even be at the school this year or next. Hell, the same neighbors might not be there. It's a crap shoot really.

Good luck though.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:21 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
How naive are you? Of course those conversations have happened. And of course we as a couple have experienced discrimination first hand based on my wife being black. I am not asking if Calvert is some utopia from racism, because no matter where I live, I will have to deal with racism in one form or another.

Since apparently I need to educate you on race relations, a black couple or an interracial couple is going to do a little more research on an area such as Calvert when there is a less percentage of people of color living in that area. It's amazing when my wife and I travel to places that have the same percentage of people of color as Calvert, that we get more looks and stares as compared to a more diverse area. Some comments have even been made towards us. This happens less frequently to us in places that are more diverse.

Since I have posted this thread I was able to reach out to an interracial couple living in Calvert and when they first were looking at homes, someone spray painted "No N*ggers Allowed" on a shed on the property they looked at multiple times right before they were about to sign on the dotted line. Do you think that would have happened in a more diverse county? Chances are probably not.

You think I am posting a stupid question because you are not in a situation such as I am and don't have to worry about the same things I do. So like I said, you probably shouldn't be commenting on something you know nothing about because it makes you look naive.
usually it's dumb kids trying to trigger others and it always works. This is another good example.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:04 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
The OP may be looking for a bubble that doesn't exist. Just pick somewhere to live and live. You may be trying to avoid something that may never happen or may happen anyway. Man-up and cross that bridge when it comes.

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/racist-g...tgomery-county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland