Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:04 PM

163 posts, read 268,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalux View Post
I'm intrigued by your comment about Nigerian immigrants. Please share your citations that validate this.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nige...+most+educated

Feel free to scroll and get tons of websites that discuss this. Many have links to studies that support my statement. Not to be offensive or rude, I don't care enough about the subject to look up stats and post them for you. I save that kind of energy and effort when the topic/group at hand is important to me.

I appreciate you took time to respond to my other statements. I only skimmed them due to the reasons above, but I do respect that you took time and effort to make a thoughtful response.

Last edited by Enyo; 05-14-2019 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 06:36 AM

170 posts, read 188,073 times
Enyo,

Since you did not want to verify your data, I went ahead and did as you asked and performed queries myself. The websites that make the claims that 'Nigerians are most educated in the United States' are questionable at best. Take for instance the Google query link that you provided. The first article from an information source with some level of credibility is Chron. It's article "Data show Nigerians the most educated in the U.S." (cite link: https://www.chron.com/news/article/D...-S-1600808.php) agrees with your belief that Nigerians are the most educated in the United States. However, their data does not pass the smell test. It makes the crux of its claim on a purported 2006 American Community Survey linked to the US Census Bureau. Bear in mind that this article is from 2018, quoting stats that is over a decade old even from that point. Moreover, the link they provide to verify their source does not actually point to the reported citation. Lastly, the stats that they bring up fly directly against the US Census Bureau's 2015 stats (latest available analyzing adults 25+) that I provided earlier in this thread, with valid verifiable link.

The article goes out of way to paint a specific narrative. There's nothing wrong with that, but in so doing the audience needs to be aware that the article is not merely information; the author is trying to push an idea either knowingly or unknowingly. Case in point: how would they make a comment about Nigerians (national level identity) and then compare it against racial groups (multi-national level identities), unless it is to show superiority by abusing the concept of the law of large numbers?

In any case, the evidence observed suggests that Nigerians are *not* the most educated in the US. It can be agreed that they are a highly educated immigrant diaspora - far more than their black counterparts - but that does not mean that they are in themselves the most educated. That title goes to Indian American immigrants, according to the Pew Research Center (cite: https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...e-on-the-rise/).

In close, please don't relay bad information if you are unwilling to substantiate it. Your opinion matters, but stating information that is not factual only spreads disinformation.

Last edited by Jalux; 05-15-2019 at 06:49 AM..

Old 05-15-2019, 12:05 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sittilove View Post
No there were certainly white kids in my Honors and AP classes in middle and high school, but they weren't the majority, so they weren't viewed much differently than the smart black kids, especially those whose parents were rich, demanding and competitive. There were also white kids sprinkled here and there thoughouht elementary school, but unless they actually had good grades or acted nerdy they weren't assumed to be smart. As i recall, all of the biggest geeks and nerds I've known throughout school were black, and that's because of the odds in the shear population size of black students. Again, there isa similar normal distribution.

I'm not saying that I've never heard of acting white, I've definitely heard and seen kids being teased for this. But this was always more about one's manners of speech and preferences for music and never about how smart or educationally accomplished they were. I've known kids who were "Oreos" and it was usually about their accents (i.e. having the valley sound).

My best friend in 2nd grade was a white boy and while we were teased for "liking" each other, I was never accused of selling i out. Nor when I had white friends in high school (but hanging out with them was expected since we were in honors together).

The myth I'm referring to is that in black culture, being smart = being white, and therefore black kids purposefully shun working hard for good grades. It's just not true in general for middle class kids. As for poor blacks, they shun good grades just as much as poor white kids would in similar circumstances (think Appalachia).
I co-sign this. I'm a Black guy from rural South Carolina and was known to be a smart guy/nerd in my small high school. The student population was practically half Black, half White, and I was in a few AP/honors classes with a few other students, and most of us were Black. We were teased for being smart and know-it-all's, but never about "acting White" because culturally we were/are very Black.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM

@Jalux As I said, I don't care enough to entertain the subject. I'm here to discuss the merits of my home county and the African-Americans who inhabit it. Or just African-Americans in general. If you're going to type out long responses, please don't waste your time on someone who won't read them. I didn't even read your short post. Certainly not going to read a long one.

Moving back to the main topic (which is something I really want to keep discussing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I co-sign this. I'm a Black guy from rural South Carolina and was known to be a smart guy/nerd in my small high school. The student population was practically half Black, half White, and I was in a few AP/honors classes with a few other students, and most of us were Black. We were teased for being smart and know-it-all's, but never about "acting White" because culturally we were/are very Black.
I wonder how accurate the "acting white" trope is. I'm always see people insisting it's a big thing, but as someone who has tons of smart black friends both in real life and online, I rarely hear that this was an issue for of them as children. I find the recent trend is to promote smart black people and those that have made high achievements. My social media is always flooded with pictures and stories of black people doing amazing things and inspiring/motivating black youth to achieve goals like going to college/law school/medical school, owning a business, starting nonprofits, generating social movements, or breaking glass ceilings (like the massive amount of black women elected into various offices this last election round). Things like this: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ting-from-west are always flooding my page.

Last edited by Enyo; 05-15-2019 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: Merging posts

Old 05-16-2019, 07:45 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I wonder how accurate the "acting white" trope is. I'm always see people insisting it's a big thing, but as someone who has tons of smart black friends both in real life and online, I rarely hear that this was an issue for of them as children. I find the recent trend is to promote smart black people and those that have made high achievements. My social media is always flooded with pictures and stories of black people doing amazing things and inspiring/motivating black youth to achieve goals like going to college/law school/medical school, owning a business, starting nonprofits, generating social movements, or breaking glass ceilings (like the massive amount of black women elected into various offices this last election round). Things like this: https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ting-from-west are always flooding my page.
I think there's some truth to it, but it hardly centers on being smart. I think the kids who get accused of "acting White" do so primarily because they mostly hang around White kids and don't really identify as being culturally Black. And you're right, smart Black kids are celebrated all the time, especially in the hood.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:21 AM

16 posts, read 15,223 times
The video is talking about best places to live and everyone on this forum is focused on schools. I'm not understanding why my home where I sleep has anything to do with the schools my kids(if I even have any) go to. That's like me not buying a car because the gas stations are not that great around my area. Bad schools will not deter anyone intelligent from buying a nice home in a nice area without crime. I wish school ratings were factored in my mortgage payment but unfortunately its not. If I feel my school system which EVERYONE in the county pays taxes for than its best to elect the correct officials.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:15 AM

47 posts, read 56,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barringer24 View Post
The video is talking about best places to live and everyone on this forum is focused on schools. I'm not understanding why my home where I sleep has anything to do with the schools my kids(if I even have any) go to. That's like me not buying a car because the gas stations are not that great around my area. Bad schools will not deter anyone intelligent from buying a nice home in a nice area without crime. I wish school ratings were factored in my mortgage payment but unfortunately its not. If I feel my school system which EVERYONE in the county pays taxes for than its best to elect the correct officials.
The quality of school(real or perceived) of nearby public and private options is factored into the price of all homes.

Quote:
Now a national realty brokerage, Redfin, has come out with a study that purports to put hard numbers on the pricing differential. Using a huge database of about 407,000 home sales and nearly 11,000 elementary school districts in 57 metropolitan markets, the study concluded that, on average, buyers pay $50 more per square foot for homes in top-rated school districts compared with homes served by average-rated schools. The study’s data came from multiple listing services plus school characteristics and test scores provided by the research firms GreatSchools and Onboard Informatics.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...=.f0b0ee0a833f

Old 05-16-2019, 09:16 AM

170 posts, read 188,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
@Jalux As I said, I don't care enough to entertain the subject. I'm here to discuss the merits of my home county and the African-Americans who inhabit it. Or just African-Americans in general. If you're going to type out long responses, please don't waste your time on someone who won't read them. I didn't even read your short post. Certainly not going to read a long one.

Moving back to the main topic (which is something I really want to keep discussing).

Apparently, I need to do what the Army refers to as 'breaking it down Barney style' for you. Here's the bottom line, up front:

(1) Don't make up **** if you can't back it up. And you can't, so you are acting pompous.
(2) You're commentary questioning the guy's closely held beliefs about "acting white" just smacks of irony. I didn't read beyond the first sentence not because I'm an uneducated self-important **** that can't handle logical rebuttals, but because I just don't respect intellectually weak-minded fools such as yourself.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think there's some truth to it, but it hardly centers on being smart. I think the kids who get accused of "acting White" do so primarily because they mostly hang around White kids and don't really identify as being culturally Black. And you're right, smart Black kids are celebrated all the time, especially in the hood.
Re: bolded. Now this is something I've certainly seen in person over the years. I remember having black friends in the Girl Scouts who lived in white areas and went to white schools. It was clear they had been brought up to be more culturally white, I guess to make things easier on them. I felt bad for them even as a child. I knew that they'd always be "the black girl" no matter how much they emulated whites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barringer24 View Post
The video is talking about best places to live and everyone on this forum is focused on schools.

Because it's city-data. If the original topic had been posted on a black-oriented forum, the conversation would be very different.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:06 AM

264 posts, read 100,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
About the last: that's a copout and just an excuse.

The reality is the Prince George's schools were the second worst in the state, and the County much poorer, when it was majority White. People avoided and denigrated the County then, too.

The "stigma" was always there. PG was always considered the redheaded stepchild of the DC area. Always.

Black officeholders didn't invent the politics of the County, all they did was inherit and continue the practices.

Yes. I was about to ask for clarification on the last point also.

I realize that there are pockets of black wealth throughout the United States but it appears that Maryland has a "critical mass" of an above average amount of majority black neighborhoods that have an above average income per household.

I wonder if the prevalence of governmental employment as opposed to working for private industry plays a role in the attainment of inter-generational wealth.

For many African Americans, working in the private sector may present more stresses, discrimination, etc.

As a parent who sent my children to private schools, it is interesting but not surprising that other black families feel the need to send their children to private schools as well whether they live in Maryland, Ohio, California, Texas, etc.

Bottom line, the children need to excel in school!

What I noticed in many public schools here in the South, the Gifted and Talented and advanced placement curriculum was predominated by Caucasian and Asian students.

Upon visiting a middle school, my children and I observed an interesting event one morning as the 8:00 am alarm bell rang.

The Caucasian and Asian students went to the right and the majority of other students that consisted of predominantly African American students and a few Hispanic students and very few Caucasian students went to the left!

As I stood there puzzled, I asked the office administrator what was happening and she indicated that the advanced curriculum was to the right of the campus. In essence, there were literally two separate schools within the school!

Visited a few other schools and I noticed a similar situation.

It was at this point that I decided to put the children into private schools.

Private schools were not a panacea - oftentimes, there were feelings of isolation felt by my children as they often were the only children of color in their classes.

But, they persevered and in retrospect, appreciated the opportunity.

I firmly believe that a mandatory head start/pre-K rigorous and challenging curriculum should be the norm for all of the public schools. If the public schools do not provide as much, then for profit charter schools should fill the void.

It is imperative that African American children, in particular, excel in schools that are conducive to advanced learning with motivated and enthusiastic teachers who are inspired to teach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland