Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 AM

47 posts, read 56,882 times

Advertisements

PG County is a very large diverse place home to almost 1 million people from a variety of backgrounds. You can find areas ranging from great to avoid at all costs. It's impossible to characterize the county as a whole as anything.

There are schools I would send my kids to and schools that I wouldn't but both are under 3 so we have time on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 09:05 AM

170 posts, read 188,525 times
PGC is a very large county, indeed. But despite its diversity and size, there are very few areas in which the public schools are of a standard competitive to the counties that neighbor it.

Case in point: Eleanor Roosevelt High School is the highest rated high school in Prince George's County (source: https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ges-county-md/). Despite this, it is only rated as a 7 (out of 10) by GreatSchools, which uses non-subjective data to come to its multi-factor determinations (source: https://www.greatschools.org/marylan...t-High-School/). Let me reiterate-- this is the absolute best, cream of the crop, high school in all of Prince George's County.

As previous commentators said, PGC is a very wealthy region, but the schools are terrible. This is due to:
(1) consistently poor leadership (blame on the citizens for voting the same officials over and over again);
(2) lack of sufficient funding to modernize schools in terms of real property, resources, and staffing;
(3) the wealthy choosing to send their kids to private schools instead of risk having them fall behind in public schools; and
(4) persistent racially-motivated stigma.

Old 04-24-2019, 11:15 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,489,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
hey there y'all.
I stumbled across this video on youtube which was a list of the ten richest African American cities:

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hT5Ks1TWF68[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

PG County had more than half the cities listed.

Now I live in the Dallas area. I showed the video to several of my black friends and family (I'm black too btw) and we were frankly stunned. While we do have some predominantly African American cities in the DFW metroplex, they tend to be either at best working to lower middle class, or at worst straight up stereotypical ghettoes. Most middle to upper class, white collar blacks tend to live in the northern suburbs which are predominantly white.

Thus for a long time the idea that 'black is whack' unfortunately tends to be the story here in Dallas. If you have any type of economic mobility, you move to the white suburbs for the good schools, safety etc. The idea that there could be prosperous, thriving majority black cities seemed impossible...till this video.

So is this video telling the truth about PG? Or is the actual reality less encouraging? Curious minds wish to know from the residents of PG.
Yes. This is true.
https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...e-georges.html

Old 04-24-2019, 01:12 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalux View Post
PGC is a very large county, indeed. But despite its diversity and size, there are very few areas in which the public schools are of a standard competitive to the counties that neighbor it.

Case in point: Eleanor Roosevelt High School is the highest rated high school in Prince George's County (source: https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ges-county-md/). Despite this, it is only rated as a 7 (out of 10) by GreatSchools, which uses non-subjective data to come to its multi-factor determinations (source: https://www.greatschools.org/marylan...t-High-School/). Let me reiterate-- this is the absolute best, cream of the crop, high school in all of Prince George's County.

As previous commentators said, PGC is a very wealthy region, but the schools are terrible. This is due to:
(1) consistently poor leadership (blame on the citizens for voting the same officials over and over again);
(2) lack of sufficient funding to modernize schools in terms of real property, resources, and staffing;
(3) the wealthy choosing to send their kids to private schools instead of risk having them fall behind in public schools; and
About the last: that's a copout and just an excuse.

The reality is the Prince George's schools were the second worst in the state, and the County much poorer, when it was majority White. People avoided and denigrated the County then, too.

The "stigma" was always there. PG was always considered the redheaded stepchild of the DC area. Always.

Black officeholders didn't invent the politics of the County, all they did was inherit and continue the practices.

Old 04-30-2019, 03:08 PM

2,599 posts, read 4,662,317 times
Default Boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

The reality is the Prince George's schools were the second worst in the state, and the County much poorer, when it was majority White. People avoided and denigrated the County then, too.

The "stigma" was always there. PG was always considered the redheaded stepchild of the DC area. Always.

Black officeholders didn't invent the politics of the County, all they did was inherit and continue the practices.
It sounds like you are mad

Old 04-30-2019, 03:51 PM

340 posts, read 377,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalux View Post

I just want to say this, Great Schools is garbage. The score is basically how kids scoring or showing improvement on their ACT/SAT or other standardized tests. For me, that's a pretty crappy way to rate a school. I value cultural and socio-economic diversity (up that eliminates private school for my kids). How strong are the clubs, activities, and sports programs at the school? How strong is the PTA? How are the facilities? At least Niche tries to factor this stuff into their rating, which is also an imperfect rating system, but better than Great Schools. Roosevelt Niche A, Great Schools 7 of 10.

Otherwise, I agree with your points. Particularly (4) will ensure that PGC and Baltimore will certainly be both the most diverse and worst rated schools in these systems.

Last edited by DoughLow805; 04-30-2019 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-30-2019, 06:34 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
It sounds like you are mad
Mad? Why would you think that? Just tired of people who don't know the background.

I believe you work for the school system. If so, when and how much was your last raise? Was it the 36% hundreds of Sasscerites got?

As a note, I retired before that fiasco.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:20 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,436,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

LOL,I remember from the time I was six years old my mom had a sticker over the phone on the wall that asked,'what's a nice person like you doing in Prince Georges County?' That was in 1968.....i'm not sure if the sticker is still there but my mom is still there.My parents are almost the only people I know who haven't fled years ago.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:19 AM

12 posts, read 17,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
LOL,I remember from the time I was six years old my mom had a sticker over the phone on the wall that asked,'what's a nice person like you doing in Prince Georges County?' That was in 1968.....i'm not sure if the sticker is still there but my mom is still there.My parents are almost the only people I know who haven't fled years ago.
LOL I need that sticker

Old 05-01-2019, 10:22 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,081,708 times
"Schooldigger" is another website much like "GreatSchools".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland