Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:20 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times

Advertisements

We recently looked at some houses in Gaithersburg which are older and more historic. We currently live in downtown Frederick and work in Bethesda/Rockville. We used to live in DC but are selling our place there. I have been in the area for years, but never considered Gaithersburg.

Our main concern is finding an older house with charm, somewhat walkable neighborhood and decent schools. Gaithersburg looks a lot like Arlington to me but without the hipster vibe. Honestly I don't think it has much charm in the way of a Frederick or an Old Town Alexandria, so I am curious to hear what others think. Its definitely a better commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 09:26 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Would need an idea about the location to answer this. Gaithersburg has good and so-so parts.

Old 04-17-2017, 09:37 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Would need an idea about the location to answer this. Gaithersburg has good and so-so parts.
We are looking at some houses in Realty Park, Chestnut Meem Historic District and the "old town" part of town near the train station.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:34 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Gaithersburg is nice. the downtown area is OK.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:34 PM

941 posts, read 3,909,458 times
No go. As someone who has lived in the original section of G'Burg for so long, I'd avoid the older areas. It cannot sustain the current population, and it hasn't been this century. The older areas are much more narrow and confined. Parking is a terrible issue because there aren't enough spots for visitors...and residents. The majority of the area is rented, so you always have rentals that have 3-5 residents all with cars or two. Parking police knows this, and they're all too happy to slap all kinds of parking infractions.

The majority of local roads are one-lane, and during rush hour you can expect some streets to turn into a parking lot.

Chestnut & Meem sees a lot of vehicular traffic. Can you stand living in an historic home with cars zipping by at all hours in your front yard? The streets also intersect with a train track. I can't remember if MARC uses that particular track. Expect a train to go by at least once a day.

Gaithersburg is somewhat walkable, yes, but not that much. You walk on streets along busy roads, and paths sometimes are through woods or bush.

Old 05-25-2017, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 7,626 times
There is a Marc train from downtown that will get you to work quick...

Old 05-28-2017, 12:24 PM

833 posts, read 520,185 times
What's your tolerance for increasing poverty and illegal immigrants? Poverty and illegal immigration has been steadily moving north up the I-270 corridor for more than a decade....and you are looking to move south. So, these are things to consider.

Edit: Here's a visual representation of what i'm talking about:

https://ggwash.org/view/31707/watch-...tgomery-county

Old 06-07-2017, 04:20 PM

41 posts, read 39,219 times
If you live in the Old Town area your kids will go to Gaithersburg Middle and Gburg HS. My kids graduated Gburg HS in the early 2000's. I don't know how it is now, it's never had a great rep, but I will say my kids did OK there because they were in all AP classes. I think you get a lot of behavior problems in the regular classes. Top HS's in MoCo are Churchill, Whitman and Wootton.

I wouldn't live in the Chestnut Meem area because if the traffic and the train. The neighborhood surrounding Asbury Senior Living might work and also Washington Grove....these areas also go to GHS. You will also hear the train in these areas.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:02 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
If you live in 20878 zip code, your kids will likely go to Quince Orchard High, which is a very good school. My oldest graduated from there in 2012.

Old 06-25-2017, 02:03 PM

9 posts, read 16,562 times
Gaithersburg is what you make of it depending on what side of 270 you are on....most of the new developments and desirable places to live are west of 270 *kentlands the crown that whole area that likes to be considered north potomac* the crime ridden areas are found to the east of 270 *old towne emory grove neighborhoods...Mont village...lakeforest mall* even in those areas crime isnt random for the most part...mind your buisness you are just fine....the schools clusters east of 270 are watkins mill gaithersburg magruder *more cuturally diverse schools*

School clusters west of 270 would be mainly Qo or Wootton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland