Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 11,444 times

Advertisements

Hey, everyone. This forum is amazing. My situation:

I'm relocating from the North East to a job in Gaithersburg MD, yet the school that we really want my daughter to attend is in Bethesda.

- any suggestions for a safe community with single family home (new construction or relatively recent)? AND anywhere near $650k? Olney/Brookeville could be nice but is the commute even from there down to Bethesda a nightmare in the morning?

- is commute in from Northern VA reasonable at all? Even at early morning hours?

- anything in the Potomac (western side of 270) area that isn't insane?

Thanks all!
C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 02:01 PM

198 posts, read 926,291 times
I think Olney/Brookeville is a lovely area. I also think that the area is inconvenient for commuting and getting around the metropolitan region because you are a good distance from the major highways.

I would not want to do the Olney to Bethesda commute, especially if it's for school. Even without traffic I think it would be at least a half hour. Once you add rush hour traffic, it could be more like 45 minutes+. Hopefully there is somebody on the board who has done that commute and can give you a specific amount of time.

If you are really set on the school in Bethesda, why not live there? You could find an older home for $650,000 and then reverse commute up to Gaithersburg, and have a happy commuting life indeed. A lot of people make the choice to live in smaller, older homes to cut down on commuting times. I also think most of your daughter's classmates will live downcounty (that's closer to DC) so visiting friends, afterschool activities, etc. are going to bring you into Bethesda anyway. This is just a thought. I completely understand wanting to live in a newer house. My current home is the most expensive house I've ever owned, and it's the smallest and oldest-- by a lot!

Old 02-14-2007, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 27,809 times
I live in Olney and commute to Bethesda everyday for work. It's pretty bad i must say, at least I do not enjoy the commute. It's about 40-45 minutes in the mornings and about 40-50 minutes on the way home, always longer on the way home.

Brookeville would be another 5-10 minutes on top of Olney's commute. Without traffic its about 25-30 minutes, not too bad, but that only happens on holidays.

Olney/Brookeville is a great place to live, but i agree with Kensington that it is not convienent if you want to travel around the DC Metro area.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:03 AM

2 posts, read 11,444 times
Default Thanks for the responses .. a few follow-ups

Kensington, Gixxer,
Thanks for the responses.
Gixxer: Are Olney and Brookeville relatively safe? Which neigborhoods around G'burg are NOT safe?

And finally, if I were to start my commute down from the Olney area down to Bethesda at, say, 630am, would that help the commute time? When is it at its worst?

THANKS!
rclw

Old 02-18-2007, 11:09 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
If you live in Bethesda, or in between Bethesda and Gaithersburg, you will essentially be making a reverse commute to work. I'd look at the communities within easy reach of 270, such as Rockville and Potomac. If you have to drive your child to school AND then drive to work, your best bet will be to compromise on the new construction issue and live in Bethesda.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 27,666 times
I relocated to this area 1 1/2 years ago, and chose to rent a house in Darnestown instead of buying.

You can find nice (but a bit older, '70s) houses in the $650K range in Potomac now - prices have dropped some 10-15% in this range in Potomac. (You have to be selective though as that is close to the bottom of what you can find there.) We just entered into a contract and are very pleased with our choice.

In the area we rent in ("North Potomac", just west of Gaithersburg) we saw a listing yesterday (MLS #MC6319819) for $675K, newer construction ('82) but commuting to Bethesda makes it impractical - that extra 6 miles = additional 20 minutes due to traffic.

We used the time we rented to check out a lot of areas, and coming from Southern California we thought it would be easy to find something we liked - well were we in for a surprise!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:16 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
To get an idea of traffic congestion, look at www.trafficland.com or Chart on the Web:

http://www.chart.state.md.us/MapNet/...x2=0&y1=0&y2=0

Also www.wtopnews.com shows traffic information.

Commutes from VA are worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland