Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 06:31 AM

32 posts, read 34,467 times

Advertisements

Hi people,

I am moving to MD soon and I asked for a place to live. Everyone strongly recommended me to be as close as work as possible. I will definitely follow that advice. However, I am wondering how is possible that the traffic is so bad. I have checked on youtube some videos and it looks like for example the 495 has 4 lines each direction... that is a lot!!

What are the reason for the traffic congestion? Maybe, the low speed limit? Maybe the that people do not use to drive on the right line? Maybe a lot of control of police with a big risk of fine?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 06:44 AM

7,086 posts, read 9,628,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuagmireRules View Post
Hi people,

I am moving to MD soon and I asked for a place to live. Everyone strongly recommended me to be as close as work as possible. I will definitely follow that advice. However, I am wondering how is possible that the traffic is so bad. I have checked on youtube some videos and it looks like for example the 495 has 4 lines each direction... that is a lot!!

What are the reason for the traffic congestion? Maybe, the low speed limit? Maybe the that people do not use to drive on the right line? Maybe a lot of control of police with a big risk of fine?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
I guess you've never been to NYC, Los Angeles, or Atlanta.

High density population (sprawl) + job center (DC Metro) + lack of a hub-spoke-wheel transportation system that is reliable + major interstate
(I95) = traffic.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:01 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,496,483 times
Too many damn people with cars. Very high density area. Come visit and see for yourself.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:41 AM

15,476 posts, read 25,951,779 times
Too many cars, not enough road.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:07 AM

222 posts, read 273,199 times
Everybody hit the nail on the head. The high density of people in the area. For the most part traffic is a part of life here and it seems to be getting worse and unfortunately even widening the highway will not help. As they continue to build and more people come here, it will be get worse.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:41 AM

2,193 posts, read 1,843,441 times
Plus you have to figure there will be at least one accident a day on the the major roads. Most of the time they will be relatively minor but there will be times that the entire highway is shut down.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:38 AM

789 posts, read 1,105,031 times
The fact that so many job centers are clustered throughout the periphery of the metro area contributes greatly to the spread of congestion. It's not just getting to downtown DC or Baltimore that gives you headaches. It's everywhere now. And since there are so many different types of jobs around the periphery, it is rare that 2 income household members work anywhere remotely close to each other, let alone their home :/

Furthermore, public transportation is prohibitively expensive to serve all customers, because their homes and jobs are often so disconnected from everyone else's jobs and homes that transit lines are either packed or empty. It's a weird setup, and spanning 3 distinct jurisdictions tends to make it worse.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:53 AM

13,695 posts, read 20,862,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I guess you've never been to NYC, Los Angeles, or Atlanta.

High density population (sprawl) + job center (DC Metro) + lack of a hub-spoke-wheel transportation system that is reliable + major interstate
(I95) = traffic.

I generally agree except that New York City has exactly the transportation system you describe. It's the best in the nation.

Comparing NYC to LA or Atlanta is a non-starter.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:22 AM

18,569 posts, read 15,695,203 times
I'd imagine that the rapidly worsening Metro system suckage is encouraging more people to switch to driving

Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 AM

340 posts, read 381,131 times
I have some additional perspective, while traffic due to high population density is one thing, the traffic planning, engineering is **** poor.

For example, there are highways (395 & 295) without a shoulder for distressed vehicles, leaving them stuck in traffic lanes and narrowing what was a 3 lane highway to a 2 lane highway or a 2 lane highway to a 1 lane highway.

Another example is on/off ramps, you've got people getting on the ramp and off the ramp in the same space. In Alexandria, the on ramp for 395 south and off ramp to Duke Street East is a perfect example, causes congestion simply because of poor planning.

Then there is the lack of coordination of street lights in many places, if I'm New York Avenue, Wisconsin Avenue or others that flow people into and out of the city, coordinate the timing of the street lights so that traffic can flow smoothly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland