Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:31 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm amazed that MOM's in CP survives. It is so far off the beaten path tucked away in a residential area that virtually no one would know its there without having stumbled on it. The same goes for REI right next door.
I've wondered about that too. But the people who want that kind of merchandise seek it out.
And with the Internet, apps, and Google Maps and GPS.....all you have to do is look up where one is, and find it.

It's not THAT far from College Park -- and before Yes Organic came to nearby Hyattsville -- which hasn't been THAT long -- MOM's -- I think -- was the only decent health food/organic game in town. And if you're into camping/the outdoors (as a lot of college age people are)...REI was also the only game in town in that area. (Sports Authority and Dicks aren't that league. An aren't that close by anyway I don't think.

So if your wanted what they have that's where you had to go. That's why it will be interesting to see how all this "development" shakes out.

IF Yes Organic down in Hyattsville pulled 'some' shoppers away from MOM's I can't imagine that the Whole Foods won't also, to some extent.

I guess it depends on the travel radius of MOST shoppers and the desires of others. Just like when Wegmans opened at Woodmore Town Center. I hear people were in there like ants on a piece of bread. I've never been. Too far for me. MAYBE the initial "Oooh it's Wegmans" has tapered off. But I still here it's a very busy store. Did that store pull customers -- PERMANENTLY -- from other super markets, I guess. I'm not over there so I don't know.

Fore example if you live over there but worked some place else, now instead of stopping at the store near where you work...you could go to Wegmans closer to home. Like I said it depends on how close/far a shopper is willing to go, the merchandise, convenience of each store. So well's see what happens with Yes, Mom's and Whole Foods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Selection matters to me first, then price. I would drive to TJs in Silver Spring for their pork chops, Wegmans for their salmon burgers, and Whole Foods for their smoked oysters. Of course my wife is completely the opposite.

What's frustrating though is that not all Whole Foods have the smoked oysters I can find at the Silver Spring store. Then I found in the Alexandria store they had these blondies that I liked. No other Whole Foods stores carried them.
your wife doesn't have an issue with you picking up blondies at whole paycheck?

/

Old 07-29-2015, 04:00 PM

206 posts, read 210,052 times
The REI in College Park has been there for 25 years. For a long time REI only had two locations in the DC area, College Park and Bailey's Crossroads. MOMs in College Park has been there for almost 15 years; it was the third store in the group. MOMs is now approaching almost 20 stores.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:01 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
My question is....as things stand now in PG. Given that there already IS a MOM"s in Bowie, a Wegman's near the Glenarden/Largo area, and a Yes Organic and Whole Foods in CP/Hyattsville....
.....where do you think a Trader Joes would fit?.....Bowie, CP, Hyattsville, don't need a Trader Joe's now. So NOW if one were to come I'm not sure how well it would do. Where would it go? TJ's missed it's chance.

I don't know other areas of PG....IF TJ had no interest in the areas mentioned above I SURE AS HECK don't see it being interested in any other areas. MAYBE the Greenbelt area could support one with all the Goddard people around there. But I don't see lower PG being -- let's say -- "on TJ's radar." But JT isn't interested in PG so the entire discussion is moot.

I suppose we could do a price comparison of how Kia stacks up against Buick, too. And it would just as much sense as comparing Aldi to Trade Joe’s – in MY mind anyway. They’re not the same kind of store, and don’t go after the same market customer, or didn’t until recently...so I wouldn’t expect them to be comparable.

No doubt that's the image thing.
To me Aldi’s just doesn’t have the breadth of selection I want. I went a couple of times and felt like I wasted my time because they really don't have anything. But I know friends who LOVE it...one is elderly and thrives on stretching her limited senior citizen income -- the other is married with three kids (one being a son who can eat like a horse) so she’s trying to save money too.

Basically If I shopped at Aldi I’d have to shop somewhere else ALSO to get everything I need. So I’d rather just stick with Giant and sometimes Mom’s, no need to add Aldi to the mix ALSO. I’ve been through periods where I tried to shop sales....and some weeks would end up going to five stores. It took hours. All the stops ate up my time – and the gas I burned probably ate up the dollars I saved. So Aldi doen’st fit into my shopping routine, the kind of shopper I am and what I’m looking for. But clearly lots of people love it. If Whole Foods were closer to me I’d shop there all the time and probably drop Giant.
Aldi does not market itself as a place to do all your shopping. It has no loyalty program, does not accept coupons, makes no claims about great service, forces you to pack your purchases,...........
Instead of the 40K SKU' stocked by Giant etc. Aldi stocks the 1300-1400 most purchased items, and markets itself as a place to save money on similar quality product, period.

In the 1980's I quickly lost my fear of being considered down market by shopping at Aldi, after I watched hordes of well dressed merc and beemer driving Germans flocking to the stores. I thought to myself, if I want a merc, which I did, I should..........

Old 07-30-2015, 01:54 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Aldi does not market itself as a place to do all your shopping. It has no loyalty program, does not accept coupons, makes no claims about great service, forces you to pack your purchases,...........
Instead of the 40K SKU' stocked by Giant etc. Aldi stocks the 1300-1400 most purchased items, and markets itself as a place to save money on similar quality product, period.

In the 1980's I quickly lost my fear of being considered down market by shopping at Aldi, after I watched hordes of well dressed merc and beemer driving Germans flocking to the stores. I thought to myself, if I want a merc, which I did, I should..........

So you are comparing stores from Germany and here from the 1980's?What I'm trying to understand is why when my friends from Europe come and stayed with me and stay with me now they are amazed at Giant , Safeway , Whole Foods etc???

Old 07-30-2015, 06:57 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
^^ Maybe because their stores are more like Aldi with no -- excuse me -- "limited" selection. I know from living in Italy, anyway, that "super markets" there have not been the one-stop behemoths that Super Giants, Safeways, Whole Foods, and others have become -- where you can get practically anything you want -- from food staples -- TO STAPLES -- toys and patio sets! at a grocery store. For example, I guess all big supermarkets here have pharmacies in them....it's been a while, but I believe in Europe most people still go to a pharmacy for pharmaceuticals.

Also here -- and not so much in Europe.....look at how 'drug stores" -- current and defunct -- have changed. Where's the neighborhood pharmacy -- that was JUST a drug store" Now CVS, Rite Aid and Walgreens are selling some groceries (frozen food and staples) -- but hell I've seen lawn chairs, toys, T-shirts, beach balls.....

So I can absolutely see that people from other countries would go to a major grocery or drug store and be amazed.

Heck I AM AMAZED.....I VERY, VERY rarely need a cold or allergy med or need to go to the first aid aisle -- like every 6 years! The Last time I went the choices for just frigging aspirin were crazy...not to mention cough syrup -- sorry "cold medications." I didn't know WHAT to get! I stayed in the aisle stunned by just all the headache stuff! So yeah I can see people who aren't from here being overwhelmed....

But as for Aldi, yes I know people who love it. I don't think the items are that good in quality. Also their inventory seems very catch-as-catch-can. You never know what they''ll have. I need to know a store stock what I want. I'm not wasting my time with Aldi ...only to have to go somewhere else anyway. But the doesn't mean the store isn't a big player in the grocery game it certain is. And apparently it's getting bigger. I haven' seen too many the closed. They seem to do well wherever they go. I NOTICE THAT I DID NOT SEE ONE IN close in MONTGOMERY COUNTY. (gaithersburg is the closest) Don't people in Chevy Chase Section Five want to save money, too?

Old 07-30-2015, 07:36 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm amazed that MOM's in CP survives. It is so far off the beaten path tucked away in a residential area that virtually no one would know its there without having stumbled on it. The same goes for REI right next door.
When we lived in the area (Beltsville and CP), we loved that location. We could completely avoid Route 1, which was almost always horrible.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:38 AM

The top 25 Global Food retailers.

These lists are always problematic because many sell non food items also, and you're never quite sure what's being measured, clearly not just food in Wal-Mart's case. Aldi is #10, Lidl #7. Should also be noted that Aldi and Lidl are credited with forcing Wal-Mart out of Germany, one of the few countries it has ever abandoned, after 10 years and $3B in losses.

But for what it's worth.......
Top 25 Global Food Retailers 2015

SN's Top 25 worldwide food retailers for 2015 include projected 2015 sales in U.S. dollars (based on June 2015 exchange rates) for food, nonfood and wholesale operations. Projected 2015 store counts include franchised or licensed locations and may include nonfood outlets.
Source: PlanetRetail

Related story: Walmart leads Top 25 Global Retailers

[LEFT]
Read More: Top 25 Global Food Retailers 2015 | Supermarket News - content about Top 25 Global Food Retailers 2015
[/LEFT]

Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 AM

The top 25 Global Food retailers.

These lists are always problematic because many sell non food items also, and you're never quite sure what's being measured, clearly not just food in Wal-Mart's case. Aldi is #10, Lidl #7. Should also be noted that Aldi and Lidl are credited with forcing Wal-Mart out of Germany, one of the few countries it has ever abandoned, after 10 years and $3B in losses.

But for what it's worth.......
Top 25 Global Food Retailers 2015

SN's Top 25 worldwide food retailers for 2015 include projected 2015 sales in U.S. dollars (based on June 2015 exchange rates) for food, nonfood and wholesale operations. Projected 2015 store counts include franchised or licensed locations and may include nonfood outlets.
Source: PlanetRetail

[LEFT]
Read More: Top 25 Global Food Retailers 2015 | Supermarket News - content about Top 25 Global Food Retailers 2015
[/LEFT]

Old 07-30-2015, 01:13 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Hmmmm.

Quote:
"It's going to be one of the fiercest food retail battles in decades in natural and organic and healthy high-volume food retail," Flickinger said. "Trader Joe's has been uniquely successful in consistently having success competing against Whole Foods in every single market where they're in the same trading area."
Showdown between Whole Foods and Trader Joe's coming to L.A. - LA Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland