Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM

7,084 posts, read 9,595,864 times

Advertisements

This is interesting.

Team to seek approvals to build outlet center-anchored project in Clarksburg - Washington Business Journal

Kaplan said the planned outlet stores will fill a gap in "value-oriented retail" options in Montgomery County. The project's first $100 million phase is expected to include 450,000 square feet of retail space slated for completion in late 2015.

That's news to me. I thought Montgomery County had everything. Also, Clarksburg is pretty far out. 2.4 million square feet with offices. Sounds like it will be the last outpost before you get to Fredrick. Clarksburg is about as in-between as you can get. Not quite a suburb of Fredrick and not quite close enough to Rockville either. Which will make it a destination for most. This is about as sprawly as you can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,534,461 times
Sheesh that's far. Suburban sprawl at its finest.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,571,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
This is interesting.

Team to seek approvals to build outlet center-anchored project in Clarksburg - Washington Business Journal

Kaplan said the planned outlet stores will fill a gap in "value-oriented retail" options in Montgomery County. The project's first $100 million phase is expected to include 450,000 square feet of retail space slated for completion in late 2015.

That's news to me. I thought Montgomery County had everything. Also, Clarksburg is pretty far out. 2.4 million square feet with offices. Sounds like it will be the last outpost before you get to Fredrick. Clarksburg is about as in-between as you can get. Not quite a suburb of Fredrick and not quite close enough to Rockville either. Which will make it a destination for most. This is about as sprawly as you can get.
So there could be two outlets in Clarksburg. That wouldn't be smart development.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:36 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,008,752 times
This just isn't smart at all. I don't see how this will have good results.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,534,461 times
Instead of continuing this pattern of massive sprawl how about we start building UP.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:24 AM

490 posts, read 926,150 times
The Clarksburg Outlets is meant for Germantown, Darnestown, Gaithersburg, Damascus, and Urbana......shopping scene.....for residents that don't want to travel......Remember Germantown purpose is to become more the corporate downtown of Upper County......Clarksburg and Darnestown are prime outlet areas for

Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 AM

7,084 posts, read 9,595,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
The Clarksburg Outlets is meant for Germantown, Darnestown, Gaithersburg, Damascus, and Urbana......shopping scene.....for residents that don't want to travel......Remember Germantown purpose is to become more the corporate downtown of Upper County......Clarksburg and Darnestown are prime outlet areas for
Couldn't Rockville serve that purpose? Or somewhere in between Rockville and Gaithersburg? If Clarksburg gets built up, the next likely iteration will be to build Fredrick toward Clarksburg. The same thing happened along the Dulles Toll Road. Now you have development clear to Leesburg. The drive along Rt. 15 north toward WV though is gorgeous. Lots of farms and vineyards. Very rural.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:53 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,008,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Clarksburg is only about 38 miles from Leesburg, 40 miles from Hagerstown, 47 miles from Woodbridge, and 48 miles from Oxon Hill, all of these places have/will have outlet centers. Are people shopping at outlet centers that often that going 30-50 miles to one would just be too much for them, and that's not even including the regular shopping malls in between all these places.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM

1,698 posts, read 1,826,495 times
I just do not get the appeal of outlet malls. I haven't been to one in 5 years, and I pass 2 (soon to be 3 I guess) every time I drive out to visit my parents. It all seems to be overpriced brand name clothes, except slightly cheaper and poorly made.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,117,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimar View Post
I just do not get the appeal of outlet malls. I haven't been to one in 5 years, and I pass 2 (soon to be 3 I guess) every time I drive out to visit my parents. It all seems to be overpriced brand name clothes, except slightly cheaper and poorly made.
Agreed, the clothes seem to be last years models that didn't sell. However, I have found good things in the kitchen and bath stores. They may be seconds, but fine for everyday use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland