Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2012, 12:04 PM

55 posts, read 73,563 times

Advertisements

I have read several posts concerning relocating from another state to MD and I've done some Internet research and I must say I'm a bit discouraged. I know that housing costs are much higher than in FL (I have a 3BR/2BA, Dbl garage, screen porch & fenced backyard for $925) and I certainly know that is non-existent in MD; however, I would be willing to pay an additional $400, but even that appears to be like finding a needle in a haystack. I'm a teacher and the salary is higher in the North, which is why I am planning to relocate...I selected MD because of the good things I've heard about the school system. I teach HS (11th & 12th), but can also go the community college route. From my research, Columbia (Howard Cty) seems to fit my preferences, but I'm open to other areas, as I know nothing about any section of MD. I've been to DC several times and it's a nice place to visit but do not wish to live there. What I'm looking for is a smaller, quieter area where I can drive to and from work, grocery store, church, etc. and go into the "city" at my convenience. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Right now, I'm in a quandry about whether to leave FL at all (they care very little about teachers/education in general)....but I may have to work my final 9 years, retire with 30 years in FL retirement system and then relocate. Also, if there are any teachers in other northern states, I can be re-directed to other states. I'll take all advice/suggestions seriously. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 PM

326 posts, read 681,960 times
Not to be debbie downer- but I have several friends who are teachers in the State and often have rented with another teacher-friend to be able to afford something. Or, two of my friends are renting rooms or "basements" from other individuals. I'm not sure that's what you're looking for, but I know some that do it and it works out for them. Good luck! COL here is slightly depressing.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:52 PM

55 posts, read 73,563 times
Default Thanks

In my research, I see the COL is quite expensive.....I may check into surrounding states like VA and DE.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:27 AM

326 posts, read 681,960 times
Unless you are living a good distance out- Northern VA is much more expensive than MD as a whole. I know, you're probably thinking- how could that be?! I'm not familiar with DE enough to know. Good luck though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland