Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,778 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My husband is being stationed in the new Walter Reed facility in Bethesda, MD, but I will be attending John Hopkins in Baltimore, MD. We are looking for an area that is between the two cities. We saw Columbia and Laurel so far, but we don't know anything about MD. I have tried to look up several things, but have found it hard so far.

We are looking for a 2 bedroom for under $1350. I found one complex called The Seasons in Laurel, but have read reviews about car and property break-ins and theft. We don't want to deal with any of that. We just want to be an area that we feel safe while taking public transportation and walking around (ESPECIALLY at night).

Are there any other safe areas that are between Bethesda and Baltimore?

Are Columbia and Laurel safe areas?

Does anyone have any information on or experiences with The Seasons?

Also, I hear historic Laurel is nice. How would I go about searching for an apartment in that area? Does anyone have it's zip code?

If there are any apartment complexes or realtors anyone recommends to assist us, I would greatly appreciate it. I am so completely lost looking for information. It's just not the same as being in an area in person. We are terrified of living in an unsafe and rundown area where we always have to look over our shoulder or be afraid to leave our home or car.

Thanks SOOOO MUCH for all the help!!

Last edited by Ryan Vix; 05-17-2012 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:55 AM

182 posts, read 477,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Vix View Post
Hello everyone! My husband is being stationed in the new Walter Reed facility in Bethesda, MD, but I will be attending John Hopkins in Baltimore, MD. We are looking for an area that is between the two cities. We saw Columbia and Laurel so far, but we don't know anything about MD. I have tried to look up several things, but have found it hard so far.

We are looking for a 2 bedroom for under $1350. I found one complex called The Seasons in Laurel, but have read reviews about car and property break-ins and theft. We don't want to deal with any of that. We just want to be an area that we feel safe while taking public transportation and walking around (ESPECIALLY at night).

Are Columbia and Laurel safe areas?

Does anyone have any information on or experiences with The Seasons?

Also, I hear historic Laurel is nice. How would I go about searching for an apartment in that area? Does anyone have it's zip code?

If there are any apartment complexes or realtors anyone recommends to assist us, I would greatly appreciate it. I am so completely lost looking for information. It's just not the same as being in an area in person. We are terrified of living in an unsafe and rundown area where we always have to look over our shoulder or be afraid to leave our home or car.

Thanks SOOOO MUCH for all the help!!
A couple good friends of mine stay in the Seasons complex (off of Traders Crossing Road and North Laurel Road). They love it. I helped them move in right before they got married and they have a very nice unit. It's 2 bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms (I'm not sure of the square footage). They haven't had any problems with crime since they've been there (about a year and a half). I've visited them quite a few times and the worst thing that's happened to me was being charged by a toy poodle whose owner gave him too much slack on the leash. The only thing I notice about the area is that there's not a whole lot to walk to in the area and some of the areas in the community are not lit all that well.

I've lived in Laurel for over 31 years and I think it's a nice area (I'm sure a ton of people will disagree). I grew up and went to school in the PG County part of Laurel and my wife and I just purcahsed a townhouse in the Howard County part of Laurel. I absolutely love the diversity (race, age, profession, etc) of the town, you'll see a little bit of everything in Laurel. The vast majority of crime in the area is crimes against property (theft, car break-ins). Here's the most recent crime log I could find: Laurel: Crime log - baltimoresun.com

Here are the zip codes for all of the areas that are looped in with Laurel

20707 - This covers all of the official City of Laurel
20708 - These cover Montpelier/South Laurel, right outside of the official Laurel city limits
20723 - This covers North Laurel/Savage
20724 - This covers Maryland City/Russett

In terms of apartments, most of my friends that rent in the area, stay in the Emerson at Cherry Lane. Here's the link: Apartments for Rent in Laurel, Maryland 20707 | Emerson at Cherry Lane Apartments They are on the expensive side, but they're beautiful.

Good luck in your seach.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:14 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Vix View Post
There are also some new, very nice areas in Fulton near the intersection of Routes 29 and Route 216, although they may have a Laurel address. You could also check for apartments in Clarksburg. You might also find small houses to rent in your price range which would be safer than any apartment complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland