Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,832 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be moving to Waldorf 20603 area and wondering how efficient & safe public transportation is vs. driving. I read that driving to downtown DC would take about 1-1.5 hr in a car during morning. How long does it take via public transport and what are the means to get to downtown DC w/out car?

Also, how does one get to northern va, say falls church from Waldorf w/out car and roughly how long would it take in the mornings betw 630-8am?

I'm trying to avoid buying a car but it seems like most people (well on this board) drive in Maryland. Pls share your thoughts, experiences of driving vs. public transport in this part of Maryland.

Thanks!

Old 08-28-2007, 09:02 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
You might want to post this question to the Southern Maryland message boards at http://www.somd.com There are a lot of junk posts there, but there will also be a lot of folks from Waldorf who can tell you commute times.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:19 AM

217 posts, read 752,214 times
Default Whew...

You picked an overcrowded area. I live on the edge of the beltway because I refused to do those long drives. The main artery is Rt 5 and it feeds all of southern MD. It used to take me an hour to drive to my office, 10 miles in a straight line. That is before you reach Rt5 and fight everyone else to get to Waldorf.
As far as public transportation...MD is screwed at that point as there is limited bus service to Waldorf - and even neighborhood. You won't get bus service you might be expecting as it is for business commuting only and the subway starts at the beltway. There is plenty of subway and bus service in and around the beltway but your options of Waldorf to Falls Church is either riding the commuter express to the subway and doing some transferring or buying yourself a car. Google a DC area map as well as the Metro system in the DC area.

To be quite frank, we are over crowded here and don't need more people.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:24 AM

217 posts, read 752,214 times
You picked an overcrowded area. I live on the edge of the beltway because I refused to do those long drives. The main artery is Rt 5 and it feeds all of southern MD. It used to take me an hour to drive to my office, 10 miles in a straight line. That is before you reach Rt5 and fight everyone else to get to Waldorf.
As far as public transportation...MD is screwed at that point as there is limited bus service to Waldorf. You won't get bus service you might be expecting as it is for business commuting only and the subway starts at the beltway. There is plenty of subway and bus service in and around the beltway but your options of Waldorf to Falls Church is either riding the commuter express to the subway and doing some transferring or buying yourself a car. Google a DC area map as well as the Metro system in the DC area.

To be quite frank, we are over crowded here and don't need more people.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 9,832 times
I knew there was a reason our apt was so affordable. Unfortunately I can't afford to live anywhere else. Don't worry, I'll be clogging your roadways for only a year. Then I'll move back to my own car congested city.

Thanks for the response!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,088,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLilly View Post
I knew there was a reason our apt was so affordable. Unfortunately I can't afford to live anywhere else. Don't worry, I'll be clogging your roadways for only a year. Then I'll move back to my own car congested city.

Thanks for the response!
You are really in for an ugly commute. You're going to be fighting your way into the Beltway and then around the Wilson Bridge (which isn't quite finished yet) and then up the Beltway to Falls Church. It looks like 40 miles but I'd be shocked if you made it in < an hour any day other than Sunday. And it isn't an hour of moving--it's an hour plus of move, stop, move, stop....frustration central.

What is your budget and housing requirement? I'm sure you could find someplace at least a bit closer that would save you time and probably cost the same amount of money.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,589 times
Lilly Lilly Icannot believe how rude and wrong Fishfister was. please know that he does not reflect the overall attitude of those ofus who like living in this community. There are many many apt. and vaccant homes for sale/rent not to mention all the new homes being built. So please accept my oppalogies for GRUMPY and WELCOME you to our community. Travelery2k!

Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,508 times
The MTA Commuter Bus had some lines which used to serve Waldorf (and still do I think), but some routes were killed in the recent budget cuts. I've heard ideas for a Light Rail line to Waldorf from the Branch Ave Metro via the National Harbor, something which I think is a neccesity along with the other 3 planned Light Rail lines in the state. It's not likely to be built anytime soon though (i.e. not anytime within the next decade).

Old 10-22-2009, 08:55 AM

273 posts, read 1,483,629 times
This was a thread from 2007...no need to comment now.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:03 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,722,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjennell View Post
This was a thread from 2007...no need to comment now.
oh, just realized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland