Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most important change for PG?
Better Schools 7 53.85%
More Retail Development 3 23.08%
Better Crime Fighting Initiatives 0 0%
Better Jobs 2 15.38%
Better Transportation 0 0%
Better Healthcare System 0 0%
Something Else 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:07 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,014,575 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of changes being proposed for PG County, that may or may not help the reputation and the outlook of this county. From new economic development, crime fighting initiatives, new school programs, job development, to having a new healthcare system with a new hospital. All of these sound like great ideas, but realistically they all may not happen the way that the leaders in this county may plan. So with that said, what is the one thing that is most important to help put this county on better grounds and to attract more residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,441,951 times
In a word, schools. Unless there is a wholesale systemic change or substantive socioeconomic gentrification in PG, the school system won't get much better. And no, I'm not saying that the poor or minority kids are dragging the school system down. I am saying that officials tend to care less about the needs of poor or minority kids and prioritize accordingly.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:31 PM

7,085 posts, read 9,601,948 times
Better jobs bring more money. More money brings more taxes. More taxes builds more schools and relieves overcrowding. better student teacher ratios improves learning. Sow me the money!

But regarding schools, I think a radical change needs to take place. Where's Michelle Lee?

Old 07-20-2011, 04:29 PM

2,611 posts, read 4,680,454 times
Default boredatwork

better jobs and better apartments for the working class/young professionals....everything else will work itself out with evolution

Old 07-20-2011, 07:46 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,715,853 times
Jobs, schools and development. AFAIK there have been the same major employers in PG for decades. There need to be more. I hate to say it (having grown up there) but MoCo has enough employers... the state ought to try and get some there.

Of course, employers have employees, and employees often have kids. They aren't going to want to move somewhere with horrible schools, so those obviously have to improve.

And people don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. A more suburban/rural experience, sure, but they'd like to be near SOME amenities. I think PG's making a bit of progress on this front, particularly in Northern PG along Route 1 with the redevelopment of Hyattsville and the proposed "East Campus" for UMD. Ultimately I could see Northern PG (for argument's sake let's use the MSP definition which is North of US-50) becoming somewhat more urbanized while Southern PG remains more suburban.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:27 PM

7,085 posts, read 9,601,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Jobs, schools and development. AFAIK there have been the same major employers in PG for decades. There need to be more. I hate to say it (having grown up there) but MoCo has enough employers... the state ought to try and get some there.

Of course, employers have employees, and employees often have kids. They aren't going to want to move somewhere with horrible schools, so those obviously have to improve.

And people don't want to live in the middle of nowhere. A more suburban/rural experience, sure, but they'd like to be near SOME amenities. I think PG's making a bit of progress on this front, particularly in Northern PG along Route 1 with the redevelopment of Hyattsville and the proposed "East Campus" for UMD. Ultimately I could see Northern PG (for argument's sake let's use the MSP definition which is North of US-50) becoming somewhat more urbanized while Southern PG remains more suburban.
Don't forget the massive Konterra project in Laurel.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,715,853 times
oh yeah

silly name IMO, just call it Laurel. guess they don't want their fancy development 'tainted' by such a name or something.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:30 PM

70 posts, read 152,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
In a word, schools. Unless there is a wholesale systemic change or substantive socioeconomic gentrification in PG, the school system won't get much better. And no, I'm not saying that the poor or minority kids are dragging the school system down. I am saying that officials tend to care less about the needs of poor or minority kids and prioritize accordingly.
I would actually argue that poor, minority kids are dragging the school system down.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:36 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,441,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbosch80 View Post
I would actually argue that poor, minority kids are dragging the school system down.
What about schools that have significant amounts of free and reduced meals kids that manage to make AYP and do well? What are they doing right? I'm not saying it's easy, but I don't think it's impossible.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 PM

70 posts, read 152,573 times
No I dont think its impossible but I think poor minority kids and the culture they are raised in are a much bigger part of the problem than any inherent deficiencies with the pgc school system. I would look at the kids and their parents before I started looking for any problems within the school system. If PG was mostly white you could have the same exact school system with the same teachers and administrators and it would not have the poor reputation it does. The only school districts with major issues seem to be ones with significant minority populations, PG County, Baltimore City and DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland