Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 13,439 times

Advertisements

I'm heading to MD this summer to work at Fort Meade. I have a wife and 3 little kids and we want to know which are the best communities/towns to live in near Ft Meade. Nicest/safest neighborhoods, gated communities, great schools, good for little kids, close to parks, etc. Any tips would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 PM

449 posts, read 1,176,330 times
There is a community called 7 Oaks literally across the street from Fort Meade, some nice neighborhoos in Odenton (Piney Orchard, Four Seasons, Waugh Chapel), Russett in Laurel is a decent community, and some nice neighborhoods near Arundel Mills.

I worked at Fort Meade three times and those are some of the nice neighborhoods nearby.

Also Howard county has some nice/new developments

Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 AM

23 posts, read 64,447 times
Default Ft Meade, College Park commute, area...

Hi, I am currently stationed in Europe and will be moving to Ft Meade in Aug. I seem to have difficulty in locking in a decent single family home close to the base, so have started looking a bit further out. Can anyone tell me about College Park? What is the area like? What is the commute like? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:30 PM

146 posts, read 374,914 times
New development called Maple Lawn I would check it out

Old 06-05-2011, 02:48 PM

32 posts, read 99,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katr View Post
Hi, I am currently stationed in Europe and will be moving to Ft Meade in Aug. I seem to have difficulty in locking in a decent single family home close to the base, so have started looking a bit further out. Can anyone tell me about College Park? What is the area like? What is the commute like? Any help would be appreciated.
College Park is in Prince Georges County and isn't the best neighborhood and is home to the University of Maryland so parking is a nightmare.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:49 PM

32 posts, read 99,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
There is a community called 7 Oaks literally across the street from Fort Meade, some nice neighborhoos in Odenton (Piney Orchard, Four Seasons, Waugh Chapel), Russett in Laurel is a decent community, and some nice neighborhoods near Arundel Mills.

I worked at Fort Meade three times and those are some of the nice neighborhoods nearby.

Also Howard county has some nice/new developments
I agree with Waugh Chapel (depending on your budget). Very nice area, VERY congested and built up so traffic is terrible. You can do a lot, however, since there is a lot out there.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:01 PM

6 posts, read 24,115 times
ATL_II_DMV hit it right on. Russett in Laurel, Piney Orchards in Odenton, 7 Oaks in Odenton, and the new development at Waugh Chapel are close and desirable. They are also the cookie-cutter house types with community amenities (swimming pool, gym, etc.) and most expensive, but generally safe.

Prince George has a new development which is nice and safe. A big number of houses where bought by police and you can see their vehicles in the driveways. Very safe feeling, lots of kids. Near the Olive Garden/Safeway on Route 1.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:12 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanShepherdMom View Post
College Park is in Prince Georges County and isn't the best neighborhood and is home to the University of Maryland so parking is a nightmare.

Gee. They asked about single family homes. Don't most of them have their own driveways and garages? Or did you just assume the SFH's in College Park didn't have them? lol

Old 06-17-2011, 03:13 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,574,975 times
I've always been fond of Severna Park myself.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:28 AM

23 posts, read 64,447 times
Default Help?

Ok, so I've sort of narrowed down the areas that have the best travel time, and have decided that it is going to take a miracle (or a REALLY good realtor) to help me. Evidently, since I am not getting there till August, everything that I see gets snapped up as soon as it is advertised. It also appears that Odenton has mostly townhouses, which I will take if I have to, but I would prefer an older home and a garage would be REALLY appreciated. If anyone is in the area and knows of something like this, can you please let me know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland