Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 06:44 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times

Advertisements

I have a 2019 S-60 sedan which is probably the worst car I've ever owned.

The highway road and wind noise is so bad, I can't play music. The technology utilized for the communications and networking features are so bizarre, I've given up trying to work it. When you move the front window vizor to the side, it hits the handle over the door and doesn't lie flat. It hits me in the head if I sit up straight.

The door sensors to lock and unlock the door are so sensitive that after I've used Purell or an equivalent, the handles don't "recognize" my hand and I have to fish the key fob out of my handbag to unlock the doors.

The foot release for the trunk has never worked. Conversely, when I've manually brought the trunk lid down to close, the latch engages and I think that I've closed the lid. Unfortunately when I get into the car and start up, the car tells me that the lid isn't really closed, it just looks it. I have to get out of the car and open the trunk lid and re-close it.

The maps with the GPS system are crazy. Florida is combined with the Caribbean, so updates take forever. I wish I could drive from St. Augustine to the Bahamas, but that ain't happening. I would suppose that there are many people updating maps in Florida that will never drive to the Caribbean. I'm not sure how many Volvos are being driven in the Caribbean and have a GPS system, but I would guess that it's not many.

I have eco drive as part of my profile, but every time I start the car, I have to re-engage eco drive.

It drives OK but it's not any better than cars at half its price.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 02:06 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Ok, compare this to what car? I've sat in the 2019 one in a showroom and thought it was nice sort of nice but never drove it. It's a Chinese owned company. I think Volvo still makes good engines but the rest of the car has been sort of Audi inspired but not at the same level. I wouldn't consider S60 the same level as a A6 and the BMW 5 series is still the benchmark.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:14 AM

The engine is ok and I prefer the design of the Volvo to the Audi. Was not comfortable in the BMW.

Actually, I thought the KIA was a more comfortable car at a much much lower price.

Old 08-05-2020, 09:37 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Kia is making a lot of good looking cars and they will sell well during recessions. But once the recessions are over people seem to dump them for higher marquee brands.

Old 08-30-2020, 10:29 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I have not owned one of the S60s from the South Carolina plant, but I think that it may have growing pains as it's a newer plant and the 2019 was a redesign, so first year of the new platform and new factory may have created some issues. Other marques also have issues with road/wind noise at speed, but you can get sound dampening material installed under the carpet/in the doors, like a FatMat, at a good audio vendor that will help mitigate noise and allow the stereo/audio system to sound better.

For wind noise, I would check the weatherstripping around the doors and windows, and perhaps consider using an acoustic caulk on the windshield/rear window to help further isolate the noise if it is coming from those sources.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-18-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I have not owned one of the S60s from the South Carolina plant, but I think that it may have growing pains as it's a newer plant and the 2019 was a redesign, so first year of the new platform and new factory may have created some issues. Other marques also have issues with road/wind noise at speed, but you can get sound dampening material installed under the carpet/in the doors, like a FatMat, at a good audio vendor that will help mitigate noise and allow the stereo/audio system to sound better.

For wind noise, I would check the weatherstripping around the doors and windows, and perhaps consider using an acoustic caulk on the windshield/rear window to help further isolate the noise if it is coming from those sources.
At this price point, I shouldn't have to add mats and weather-stripping. That's what so upsetting.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You expect too much from a Tata

Old 06-13-2021, 10:27 AM

Default I don't trust this car.

I'm updating this thread. I have owned this car for two years and I still don't like it.

So far in 2021, I have had to have the car towed to the dealer twice in five months. A tortoise showed up on the instrument panel the other day. And, two months ago the instrument panel told me to pull over immediately and stop driving the car.

I've been driving for almost fifty years and have never had another car towed even once let alone twice .

This is beyond disappointing. The people at the dealership are very nice, and the tows are "free", but I'm afraid to drive the car out of the neighborhood!

Maybe I'll look at the Kia K-5 or the Audi. Unfortunately, I'm going to take quite a hit financially when I sell this car to buy a car I can trust.

Very Sad.

Old 06-14-2021, 11:33 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Hate to read this. I love these cars. I think they're far and away the best looking.
I do hate how very little comes standard.
"Oh look it's only $38K! Nice! That's in my range... oh, that's no heated seats? Oh... no blind spot detector? No auto cruise control? No auto braking?"
Add those packages.... $75,000...

This is why I'll never own one.

Old 06-24-2021, 11:38 AM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I have a 2019 S-60 sedan which is probably the worst car I've ever owned.

For me, that 'honor' goes to my 1974 Volvo 164. I replaced more thing under warranty than I could ever remember. Despite being RWD, though, it could go through big snow (when it was running).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo