Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:28 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,077,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by professeurpablo View Post
Actually I did want to hear about the most recent generation of Volvo wagons - V70s or V50s - but appreciate all of the other stuff too.
To keep things on track for you - our ULTRA-DEMANDING original poster - I'd recommend staying away from the S80, and most Volvos from 2002-2005. Too many glitchy problems that, unless you're a mechanic, are going to cost you some serious money to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 PM

316 posts, read 726,919 times
Thank you for the tip! I've heard from a couple of people to stay away from the S80 - good to know. Honestly, I appreciate everything Volvo-related - great to see people chiming in with their love for the 240 as well as other models.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:31 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,467,825 times
The current generation S80 is a reliable vehicle, it was the first generation S80 that one needs to avoid. My brother had one that had so many problems that he actually drove the loaner car for longer than the S80 during the two years he owned it. Because of the problems, and the dealer had sold several Volvos to others in my family, he got an excellent deal on an XC70 wagon that my SIL still uses as a winter vehicle because the run-flats on her van are useless in their neighborhood and especially driveway with anything more than an inch of snow. I have driven my own Volvo AWDs through blizzard conditions without fuss, despite there being a few inches of snow cover on the roads (with winter tires), though the early XCs and V70 AWDs had problems with transfer case issues, since it was the first AWD wagon Volvo had produced. There was also an S70 AWD sedan, but much smaller production numbers than the FWD sedan and AWD wagon.

The V70 was reliable, and the current XC70, derived from the S80, has proven itself in that department as well. A 2004-2005+ XC70 is going to avoid the problems mentioned above, including a transmission issue that requires a new/rebuilt unit when it fails. However, as the tech and luxury features increased in the newer Volvos, the practical luxury of the older V90 (940/960) was replaced by the newer features, a departure from the old Volvo.

Volvo represented safety, practicality and a bit of luxury in a recognizable, if staid, package. If the forthcoming Volvos are built in too price sensitive a production environment, rather than letting the vehicles sell at their price point, just not in numbers that are the same as the competition, the transformation from niche brand to attempted mass market could be disastrous. For example, the current C30 sells for more than a Ford Focus Titanium, but if a model was introduced to attempt to bridge that gap, or the C30 having content removed, that would represent a change from the way the brand had been previously managed.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,191,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
^ Wow! I can only hope that's photoshopped!

Well, replacing that heater core in a 240 is a lot of work, apparently more work than installing a woodstove!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:56 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,027,362 times
We have a 1998 V70 AWD wagon with 280,000 plus miles. The radiator started leaking and I took it out and got frustrated trying to replace the oil cooler lines so it sat for two years. Meanwhile my daughter switched to her big sisters no longer wanted 1992 Lincoln Town Car. but the power steering pump blew out. Then she switched to my old 2003 Ford Ranger, but the brake lines blew out. Finally she got a loan and bought a 2006 V70 wagon. I traded the two broken cars plus a 94 sable that needs a transmission from another daughter, for someone to finish the oil cooler lines/radiator and get the old V70 running for my son to drive. (I liked that deal, i got three broken cars out of my driveway and got the Volvo running at no cost and the guy got a good deal too).

Although the 2006 V70 is still a nice car, I like the 1998 V70 a lot better than the 2006. The 1998 is more comfortable and has more features (ok so many of them no longer work, but it has them). It is more of a unique vehicle - described in one review as looking like a button monster was coming home from the bar and vomited all over the cockpit. The 2006 looks pretty much like a Ford inside. Nothing special. I fined the seats in the 2006 uncomfortable on a long drive. The 998 seats are better. The 2006 is also FWD rather than awd so it does not have the great handling in the snow. Engine wise, they seem about the same (moderately lethargic and mediochre mileage). The primary thing I can say about the 2006 is it is newer and everything works and it smells better. (both the cockpit and the exhaust). I guess this is just a case of "they don't make them like they used to."

The 1998 is an ideal car for a new driver, slow, safe, good in snow, unique looking with lots of cool buttons, holds a lot of friends and room for some frisbees, chairs or a suit of armor and the gas mileage is better than horrible. the newer one may be ideal for my daughter since she needs something that will not break and can be driven on long road trips, but it is less special.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:13 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,747,124 times
I have been toying on and off with getting rid of my 93 240 wagon. The lack of great AC and the fact that I've only ever driven older Volvos for my entire driving career are the only reasons why I'd ever part with it. I am friends with a great Volvo mechanic that I met on turbobricks like 12 years ago who has resurrected my car from the dead many times and very cheaply.

I went to go check out a 99 V70R last night and while it was nice, there were just too many modifications done to it for my tastes.

I am thinking a 98-2001 V70 or V70R are what I am looking for if the deal is good. I'm in no rush, though.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:58 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,197,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Hmm. I though you wanted to talk about newer Volvos? By newer you apparently meant: the 90's? LOL
Hmm. I thought you wanted to talk about older Volvos? I'll just keep my P1800 thoughts to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo