Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 02:51 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times

Advertisements

Discuss...but I know that I will never own a Chinese made car in my lifetime.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...#axzz2qPuZa3w3

Quote:
DETROIT -- Volvos produced in China will be exported to the U.S. market "fairly quickly," Hakan Samuelsson, CEO of Volvo Car Corp. said at the Automotive News World Congress.

Samuelsson, 62, would not give a target date but indicated that Volvo is in a unique position to use China as a manufacturing and export base, because it is owned by the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, which purchased the brand from Ford Motor Co. in 2010.

"It will happen fairly quickly in the Volvo group, but it has to be a process that you discuss with your dealers and sales group," he said. "We are the only ones who can think of using the factories for export, which we will be doing."

Samuelsson said he doesn't expect consumers to react negatively to the notion of a Volvo produced in China. U.S. consumers, he said, are already accustomed to sophisticated products such as smartphones coming from Chinese factories.

Samuelsson, a former truck executive who took the helm at Volvo 14 months ago, said he has spent the past year cutting costs, reshuffling the U.S. management team and getting Volvo back into the black.

Volvo is also working on autonomous cars and will launch a joint test with the Swedish government in2017 with real drivers on public roads, he said.

The Drive Me autonomous-car pilot will use 100 self-driving Volvos, and the company and the Swedish government will split the $70 million cost.

Driving will never be totally autonomous -- "that would be crazy," Samuelsson said. "It would be very costly and complicated."

Instead, carmakers should automate "the really boring parts," such as driving 55 mph on the highway or sitting in traffic, he said.

He compared autonomous driving to the autopilot feature in airplanes, which is intended to improve safety, "not comfort for the pilot."

Last edited by clutchrider; 01-15-2014 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Discuss...but I know that I will never own a Chinese made car in my lifetime.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...#axzz2qPuZa3w3
I cannot get myself to own Korean again, most likely I'll never, ever consider a Chinese made car...ever, never...

Old 01-15-2014, 03:09 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,622,864 times
My VFW post commander (Korean War Vet) owns a Hyundai and we bust him all the time. Before anyone says anything, yes I know his car is built in the U.S. But it's still fun to bust him.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:10 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
It's Volvos. No ' needed. STOP THE APOSTROPHES!!!

I think China has the ability to produce a quality car based on specifications they're given, assuming that Volvo stays on top of the process and QC. We'll certainly know fairly quickly by comparing their products to existing Volvos or ones being currently being built...wherever Volvos are being built.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It's Volvos. No ' needed. STOP THE APOSTROPHES!!!

I think China has the ability to produce a quality car based on specifications they're given, assuming that Volvo stays on top of the process and QC. We'll certainly know fairly quickly by comparing their products to existing Volvos or ones being currently being built...wherever Volvos are being built.
Volvo is a Chinese-owned company now, bought from Ford by Geely.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:23 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Is a Korean-built Hyundai any better?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
I don't like buying any products made in China. Not because they can't build quality products, we know they can and do. But I don't like the fact that American manufacturers import components made in China at the cost of American jobs.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:47 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,037,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I don't like buying any products made in China. Not because they can't build quality products, we know they can and do. But I don't like the fact that American manufacturers import components made in China at the cost of American jobs.
I agree. But can you name me ANYTHING sold in America that is not - in some way or another - connected to China?

Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
I hear ya, but I guess that makes shopping at Walmart almost impossible.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:50 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Just don't lick your Volvo or you might get lead poisoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo