Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 10:33 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,038,990 times

Advertisements

My sister is looking at a 2000 Volvo xc70 with 16k original miles.

Any feedback on people whow know the car will be appreciated.

Thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,597,816 times
Only 16K miles, wow. Was the oil ever changed? I would be worried about seals and other stuff if the vehicle was hardly driven. Definitely get it checked out be a mechanic and if you get a very good deal, buy it but remember, volvos are expensive to repair if something goes wrong.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 AM

143 posts, read 742,409 times
yes they are, and some of my friends that had one, isnt wery pleased. its garbage.it isnt volvo any more like it used to bee.its better to get a v70

Old 12-21-2010, 04:03 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,436,532 times
That version of the XC70 had issues with the AWD system. They can eat transfer cases for lunch. A sibling of mine just got rid of the same model year XC70 that was kept as an extra car (owned since new) at 130k miles because it needed a significant amount of work. It wasn't the first time that some of the work had been performed, either, and was serviced by the Volvo dealership.

If your sister is getting it at a very good price, she should get some use out of it without too many major repairs, but with a ten-year-old car, it's not easy to say if there are lurking issues from age, not use. I would not pay a premium for the car, despite the low mileage, though you would pay a bit more, but don't be swayed by the "as new" appearance.

I agree that the V70 was much more reliable in that era, and the subsequent generation. When they work, the XC70 is great, especially in inclement weather, but if you don't need AWD, don't buy it. Or, buy a Subaru, which is what my sibling did when they got rid of the Volvo wagon. The newer AWDs seem to have fewer issues, but that would be in the last 4 years or so.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-21-2010, 04:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,709,653 times
The reliability isn't good. Reliability of the later models with the updated AWD system is substantially improved. It's too bad, because the engine is virtually bulletproof. The transmission is OK. The AWD system sucks (for longevity).

Truly, if AWD is the first priority, a Subaru is going to be more economical. If the Volvo crossover/wagon/SUV/whatever is the desired car, go with a 2004 or newer, 2.5 liter powered model, even in the big XC90. The T6 engines (to 2006) were transmission eaters. Not sure how the latest inline 6 has performed over time. They are still a little too new to judge reliability, having been introduced in 2007.

I also agree not to pay a premium for the car. Sellers always want to sell grandma's car as if it's a collectible item, but in reality, it's just an under-used old car probably ready to blow radiator hoses from dry rot, brakes from corrosion, and who even knows what else. It's not worth the risk, IMO, unless the price is simply too good to pass up (and allows for some repairs). Worse yet, if the car was driven every day for only 4 miles, it's almost even worse than if the car just sat for a month at a time, then got driven 100 miles.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:25 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,038,990 times
Thanks all. Its a dealership owned vehicle. They never sold it. And its priced 2k below kbb. I do agree that Subaru would be a better choice, but I've learned not to try to sway her opinion once made up. I'm waiting for her to ask my opinion then will share your comments above.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,491,231 times
The 2000 model year is still a good Volvo. 2001 is when they started changing for the worse. The only big issue with the AWD system is the vicious coupling. If all 4 tires are not kept within I believe 3/16th of an in of each other it will harm the system. This is however not uncommon for AWD cars to have that restriction.

If something does happen to the vicious coupling it can be disabled by dropping the RWD driveshaft. No need to replace unless you want/need the AWD.

Mechanically the 2000XC is similar to the venerable 850 and V70 series cars. With only 16k miles on it I wouldn't think twice, and I would visit some Volvo forums to find some common points of failures and head them off. For example the tranny is good if you change the transmission fluid every 30k, maybe even think about adding a transmission cooler. Use mobil1 10w-30 (if that is indeed the spec). Change the crank ventilation system every 60k. Oh and if bought CHANGE THE TIMING BELT IMMEDIATELY. I believe the spec on those cars is 105k BUT also they crack due to age. I would also seriously consider changing the tensioner as well at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo