Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have a simple list of what I need to replace a Jetta 2001 factory radio? I think it is single din (if din means that it is not a double stacked radio). I've seen videos online but many talk about crimping or sodering a wiring harness. Is that really necessary?

This is a unit with a 6 CD changer (or maybe 5) in the trunk but frankly, I don't care if that works on the new unit or not. Also, is there a way around buying one of these metra tools to get the stereo out? Seems expensive to buy for a one time use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 10:59 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Call Crutchfield and ask. When you buy a radio, receiver, etc., from Crutchfield, they send you the tool you will need to remove the old radio or to install the new one one, a set of instructions, and the plug you will need to install the new radio to the car's wire harness.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Crutchfield is an excellent resource. They can be a bit more expensive even after factoring in the freebies, but not by much, and they provide the whole solution.

I looked at some pics of a 2001 Jetta dash. You may still need a dash kit to fill the opening after removing the factory radio. OTOH, the new radio may bolt into the factory mounting points, just slide on from the front. Nails or coat hangers can be used to get the old radio out, but it's a challenge. You will need a wiring harness adaptor to connect the factory wiring to the new radio harness, and probably an antenna adaptor, which was common for German vehicles. Your CD changer will probably not work with any aftermarket radio. Hopefully you do not have a factory amp that needs to be adapted to. That can add significant $$$ to the cost of a radio replacement.

It's been a while since I did installs, but from what I see and remember, this is probably not a complicated job. You can use Crutchfield's fitment app to see what you'll need. You will need to either solder or crimp (don't use cheap crimps or a crappy crimper, you'll regret it) to make the harness connections. The good thing is that those connections can be made sitting at a table, then just plugged into the car.

Why are you replacing the radio?

Old 07-22-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Crutchfield is an excellent resource. They can be a bit more expensive even after factoring in the freebies, but not by much, and they provide the whole solution.

I looked at some pics of a 2001 Jetta dash. You may still need a dash kit to fill the opening after removing the factory radio. OTOH, the new radio may bolt into the factory mounting points, just slide on from the front. Nails or coat hangers can be used to get the old radio out, but it's a challenge. You will need a wiring harness adaptor to connect the factory wiring to the new radio harness, and probably an antenna adaptor, which was common for German vehicles. Your CD changer will probably not work with any aftermarket radio. Hopefully you do not have a factory amp that needs to be adapted to. That can add significant $$$ to the cost of a radio replacement.

It's been a while since I did installs, but from what I see and remember, this is probably not a complicated job. You can use Crutchfield's fitment app to see what you'll need. You will need to either solder or crimp (don't use cheap crimps or a crappy crimper, you'll regret it) to make the harness connections. The good thing is that those connections can be made sitting at a table, then just plugged into the car.

Why are you replacing the radio?
Mainly because it doesn't have an aux input. There are only two stations here that play any music I can stand and one of them has talk in the AM. I'd like to be able to listen to stations on my cell phone, my walkman, etc.

I suck at soldering so guess I will just pay to get it installed.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:28 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
Um, you can have an AUX port, I've been using MP3 players with my '01 Jetta since 2004 when we bought the car.

Blitzsafe - VW / AUX DMX V.5

That's the product I have installed on my car, it's been working flawlessly for a long time now. I'm sure there are others out there that do the same, but it uses the input that your CD changer currently uses (so you'll lose that), and outputs to a pair of RCA ports. Pick up an RCA -> Mini plug cable and you have your jack to your audio source (so long as your phone has the same size jack as your walkman, else you'd need another converter). I also added another power source and installed an Ipod dock originally:

The Ipod croaked after a couple years so now we just plug in something else to both audio (and power when needed).

I like keeping the OEM radio, along with a clean car no smash and grab thief will waste their time. Saves on money too, and complication. I forget where I bought mine, but they sent a set of cheap tools to remove the radio at no extra cost.

Edited to add this as another option:

http://www.amazon.com/VWR-AUX-1998-u.../dp/B000CK3XMK

I'm sure there are more out there, but these were the 2 big ones way back when.

Last edited by Brian_M; 07-23-2012 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: Added another link

Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 AM

So this Aux Input deal plugs into the back of the radio itself or do I have to fiddle with the CD Changer in the trunk? Also, how hard is it to take apart the console to get the cables to run behind it?

Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
It plugs into the back of the radio itself (would replace the plug you have that goes to the trunk mounted CD changer).

As for getting in there, best to leave that to another forum:

VWVortex.com - iPod User Guide for MK4
VWVortex.com - Just Got Blaupunkt CD72, never done this before, NEED INSTALL HELP PLEASE!

This shows removing the radio:

VWVortex.com - DIY - Removing interior parts II (dash trim, brake light switch, radio, cupholder, radio/ HVAC cage)

And I removed the ashtray, which is in here:

VWVortex.com - DIY - Removing interior parts (e-brake & center console, armrest, glovebox, ashtrays)

And this is the main thread that has Everything MKIV (1999.5~2005) Jetta related, if you ever want to know how to do something else to the car.
VWVortex.com - MK4Forum Essentials - DIY / FAQ & Resources Guide

It took me maybe an hour from start to finish, most of that time just fishing cables between the radio and the ashtry, cutting holes, ziptying cables together to make it neat, etc... it's easy work. I've seen other installations that ran into the arm rest, glove box (which is above), out one of the center air vents, into the trunk, etc... decide what you'd like the most and then use the links above to figure out how to do it. Or, pay a shop, they'll make it clean, make it work and you can just trade them money for their time instead of using your own time.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:26 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
For what its worth, I used to own a 2000 Jetta (same style as the one in question), and installed a blitzsafe aux input adapter. It was actually one of the first available blitzsafe products available, and i purchased it on a beta basis. It was a great product and they are a great company. I'm not sure what they're up to now, but at the time, it worked flawlessly. It replaced the CD changed input, and "tricked" the head unit into thinking the ipod was a CD changer.

in regards to buying the factory VAG radio tools, no, you don't need to buy them, people routinely make them out of old credit cards, or other old plastic.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks for all the advice, I think I am scrapping this idea for now. Car is a POS anyway so I don't want to put any money in it, not even a few bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volkswagen