Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:24 PM

208 posts, read 1,217,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserthorse View Post
There's a flaw in the general reasoning here. Posters are saying VA being mid-Atlantic means there are some northern characteristics and some southern. If that's true, then PA has some southern characteristics, since it's a mid-Atlantic state. I don't think so. I don't think people passing through PA say "feels like the South" I don't think people who live there think of themselves as Southern.
PA "feels like the South" LOL.

Good Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
PA isn't southern, but I have seen Rebel flags flying while driving through parts of Pennsylvania, and it wasn't in gift shop in Gettysburg. Thought it was... interesting.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
PA isn't southern, but I have seen Rebel flags flying while driving through parts of Pennsylvania, and it wasn't in gift shop in Gettysburg. Thought it was... interesting.
There is some Southern Appalachia cultural influence in Pennsylvania. (Not like most of West Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, or Southwestern Virginia but similar in certain ways.)

The book "A History of Appalachia" by Richard B. Drake explains allots of the weirdness involving Pennsylvania, good book.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 AM

I don’t think anybody knows where states are located anymore. From some of the first hits on Google.

The Midwest? I didn't know Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Oklahoma were the Midwest? But whatever.

Since when has Missouri and Kansas been the Southeast?

All I know is this is my state, and I don’t give a rat’s ass which region it’s in. This is my country, the country of Virginia baby yeah!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:49 AM

I found a website that has maps for teachers, and the Mid-Atlantic according to them are Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Ohio, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM
azw

1 posts, read 6,556 times
There is a strong southern based community in southern Chester county PA which borders Cecil county MD. During the depression there was a migration out of south western VA(mostly Grayson and Washington counties) , eastern Tennessee (Mountain City area) and Ashe & Allegheny counties of North Carolina who went ''north'' looking for employment. These ''hillbilly outpost'' were mainly in Chester and Lancaster counties of PA, Cecil county ,MD and Wilmington DE. This trend continued through out the 1950's and many families eventually stayed here and made these areas ''home''.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,593,491 times
Wait, how is landlocked PA "mid-Atlantic"?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:12 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
This thread has been rather entertaining. As a native of Portsmouth and current resident of the Deep South, I would still say that Virginia is more southern culturally and mid-atlantic geographically. Is it Georgia southern, no, but it is more southern than most of Florida. Basically, as our society becomes more mobile, you will see this line blur more and more. I live in Macon, GA, about as southern as it gets and I have neighbors from NY, CA, and Miami. None of which have accents, drink sweet tea, or eat barbecue. Barbecue for them means a cook-out. Ha.

Anyway, Virginia isn't nearly as homeless as other states out there. When I lived in Oklahoma, they couldn't figure out if they were part southern, western, midwestern, or north Texas. Just a fact of life in the border regions. It is great as you get to experience more variety in my opinion. Fried everything gets old after awhile, I promise!

Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM

149 posts, read 261,135 times
Hampton roads is the south. except for the military most here are southern. most people in the cities are military, out of staters and people from the surrounding counties and one thing about Virginia is people from surrounding counties sound southern. I from the lackey part of Yorktown on the Newport news line and the area is mostly blacks and we all sound southern. they even joke we have our own way of talking, we are also on the line with gloucster which has the guinea men and if you haven't heard them talk, you would not be able to understand them in fact I can barely understand them and I am a native. Hampton roads is southern, its coastal southern. think of it as a fast drawl. its not slow Georgia and Alabama. it fast and chopped. the only people ive seen that are similar are nc and northern sc. in that they talk fast and country. the rest of the south seems to talk slower. still can be hard to understand but slower. mountain boys talk fast too and often sound like racist. some whites here in Hampton roads sound like the rich slave plantation owners. im almost sure the slave accent they use in movies has to be based in Hampton roads, nc or northern sc, because it seems to be coastal south. the white plantation owner accent has to be a Virginia accent. not guinea or eastern shore but a Virginia accent. I love all Virginia accent. some people especially from up north may think we are country but we cant help the way we talk while other southern state we talk fast. ive been in the army and I definitely similar to most southerner than northerner although some midatlantic like dc seem to be va influence or vice versa but philly is definitely north and sound more like nyc than anything native to va. even dc sound more like nyc than anything native to Hampton roads. old nyc slang is here and many northerners are here but nyc slangs is not holding weight here and again since most nyc influence came thru hip hop they are leaving thru hip hop and va seems to be actually getting more southern. even Hampton road rappers will probably be more southern heck even nyc rappers are becoming southern, rocky asap.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,099,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike84 View Post
- mountain boys talk fast too and often sound like racist. some whites here in Hampton roads sound like the rich slave plantation owners. im almost sure the slave accent they use in movies has to be based in Hampton roads, nc or northern sc, because it seems to be coastal south. the white plantation owner accent has to be a Virginia accent. not guinea or eastern shore but a Virginia accent.
What in God's name are you talking about?!!

Oh, and Virginia is, without a doubt, a Southern state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia