Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 02:01 PM

506 posts, read 1,401,988 times

Advertisements

I live just outside Lynchburg. To me this is very much the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 PM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Richmond hip-hop music has been very southern for the most part for years with the exception being Skillz/Lonnie B, so rhyming down south is not new in the 804. People in Richmond and the 434 have always had country sounding accents for the most part. 804 AND 434 are southern areas in general in my opinion. You will hear more people who claim to be from the south and have accents. 757 definently has a mid-atlantic feel to it with many people associating with the NY/Jersey and denying VA as southern.

When I first moved to the 757 from the 434/804 (Nottoway country, Richmond) region in 2003, people kept telling me I had a country/southern accent, and thought I was from another state. Everybody in my region sounded basically the same as me, so I never really noticed an accent in myself. I always thought my area of VA was fairly Southern. Not as Southern as an Alabama or Georgia, but similar to North Carolina or Kentucky. I also grew up in a region where everybody listened to a lot of southern hip-hop such as Outkast, Goodie Mob, and 3-6 mafia so I thought it was strange when nobody in 757 played any southern hip-hop ever and played only New-York music.

Example of other Richmond rappers
Redrum

YouTube - MAKE IT OUT OF RICHMOND

Disco Ballin'

YouTube - Disco Ballin

Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 PM

208 posts, read 1,217,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Richmond hip-hop music has been very southern for the most part for years with the exception being Skillz/Lonnie B, so rhyming down south is not new in the 804. People in Richmond and the 434 have always had country sounding accents for the most part. 804 AND 434 are southern areas in general in my opinion. You will hear more people who claim to be from the south and have accents. 757 definently has a mid-atlantic feel to it with many people associating with the NY/Jersey and denying VA as southern.

When I first moved to the 757 from the 434/804 (Nottoway country, Richmond) region in 2003, people kept telling me I had a country/southern accent, and thought I was from another state. Everybody in my region sounded basically the same as me, so I never really noticed an accent in myself. I always thought my area of VA was fairly Southern. Not as Southern as an Alabama or Georgia, but similar to North Carolina or Kentucky. I also grew up in a region where everybody listened to a lot of southern hip-hop such as Outkast, Goodie Mob, and 3-6 mafia so I thought it was strange when nobody in 757 played any southern hip-hop ever and played only New-York music.

Redrum

Disco Ballin'

YouTube - Disco Ballin
You know bout Big Get It, I forgot bout that one..........You got it right 100%...Even where I grew up around prince william county was southern, everyone considered us country, I never noticed myself cause my whole family is either from SW Virginia, or WV. Everyone I knew years ago was bumpin the same sh*t you talkin three 6, UGK, Goodie Mob, Dirty, BG, you go to Hampton Roads and everybody is on NY swag and style, it makes no sense cause your right by NC at the bottom of the state, and Richmond more southern and in the eastern center of the state???WTF

Old 03-05-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
I live just outside Lynchburg. To me this is very much the south.
Anywhere in west of the center of the state is without a doubt southern, top to bottom. Front Royal all the way down to Danville and everything west of that has always leaned more southern.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:00 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post

Redrum

Disco Ballin'

YouTube - Disco Ballin
Imo think Richmond (proper and immediate metro) have always gravitated to the mainstream hits. Actually once upon a time, NY music was big in Richmond and now its the south. Most of the younger crowd like Lil' Wayne, T.I. etc. Southern styles are popular now and people have trended in that direction. Richmond showed love for Missy, Clipse, Timbaland & Magoo.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
Imo think Richmond (proper and immediate metro) have always gravitated to the mainstream hits. Actually once upon a time, NY music was big in Richmond and now its the south. Most of the younger crowd like Lil' Wayne, T.I. etc. Southern styles are popular now and people have trended in that direction. Richmond showed love for Missy, Clipse, Timbaland & Magoo.
Yeah, but at that time everybody that listened to rap in Virginia showed love for Clipse no matter where they were from same with rest of va rappers that came out.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:36 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,741,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
Yeah, but at that time everybody that listened to rap in Virginia showed love for Clipse no matter where they were from same with rest of va rappers that came out.
I know. The Clipse, Skillz, and some other Va people broke out nationally/internationally.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:57 PM

Dialect comparison maybe, for sh**s and giggles?

Virgil Goode from VA and the infamous accent that is dying out

YouTube - Virgil Goode On The Surge Resolution And Muslims

Robert Byrd from West Virginia (Funny)

YouTube - Robert Byrd Barbaric

Fred Thompson, why not

YouTube - Fred Thompson on the Economy

Florida's Bill Nelson about as southern as Maine

YouTube - US Senator Bill Nelson at DNC RBC Meeting

Arkansas senator Bill Maher

YouTube - Bill Maher: Talking snakes or science?

Thad Cochran of Mississippi

YouTube - GLOBAL WARMING SENATE DEBATE: Sen. Thad Cochran (R-MS)

Lindsey Graham of South Carolina

YouTube - SC Senator Lindsey Graham's insane comments at Racist Event!

Old 03-05-2009, 11:27 PM

Robert De niro is southern lol

YouTube - max cady said so

Old 03-06-2009, 12:19 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceTheo View Post
I understand what your saying, however NYC has always seemed like a foreign land to 804/434 area so as soon as any other form of hip-hop came out, the area was immediatly on it. 757 has always been heavily influenced by NYC. WestCoast was really big in the 804 such as Dogg Pound also. Three six dominated 804/434 before they were big nationally. Underground southern has dominated this area before the music was the standard in the industry. People were playing rappers such as Lil Boosie heavy in like 2003, and could tell you as much about an underground south rapper as somebody from Arkansas. I remember Master P and Juvenile coming out and everybody being excited that there were national rappers who talked more like them. Thats just my opinion and observation. 804/434 was always country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia