Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 AM

42 posts, read 187,770 times

Advertisements

We (husband and 3 kids) will be relocating to SW VA in June. Husband is already renting in Blacksburg, and teaching at VCOM. We're not sure whether to focus on Blacksburg or Salem. We're willing to spend $400,000 on a home, in a small-town or suburban environment. Willing to commute 30 min. Great public schools are important for our 11, 9, and 5 year olds. From what I've found, Salem real-estate seems more reasonable than Blacksburg, and on paper, the schools look better. True? Also, you seem to get more for your money in Christiansburg, but heard that the schools aren't great. Are they worse, or does Blacksburg just have a good reputation? We're moving from NE PA, and looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 03:00 PM

96 posts, read 386,328 times
Salem is a very nice community, but I prefer the NRV (New River Valley), I'd say stick with Bburg. With that budget, you should be fine...

Old 02-05-2009, 08:52 AM

Default I think it's Blacksburg for us

Thanks for your reply. I think we're leaning towards B-burg, although Salem does seem nice. Real estate in Blacksburg seems pretty pricey to me. Looks like you can get more from your money elsewhere (Christiansburg.) Are the Blacksburg schools worth the extra money for real estate? I did hear that they were good. Know anything about the development "The Villages at Tom's Creek?" in Blacksburg, or any other family-friendly areas?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 AM

192 posts, read 632,721 times
My mom is a "Salemite" - they are extremely loyal to their "Salem". This is a good thing! I will though, as the consumate grandmother suggest that you think about your life with a commute. The travel on I-81 is treacherous, so be sure to take all things into account before you put your family in a position to be worried every time your husband leaves for work. I am not trying to alarm you but the stats speak for themselves. Once when I was certain a semi was about to run over me I managed to memorize the license number and company ( amid being scared to death) when I arrived in christiansburg I called the state police and they said they were sorry, unless I could identify the driver in a line-up all they could do was clean up after the accident!!!! Just do your homework and be aware of all the factors so your entire family can live a peacefully. NRV is a wonderful area - lots of beauty and great people, just like Salem! Welcome to VA which ever location you choose!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks, you've reinforced what we were thinking, as far as the commute from Salem to Blacksburg goes. We were also thinking that Blacksburg probably has more "transplants" like us, living there, with VT. As you stated, Salem, might have more "born and bread." Not that that's a bad thing, but we've relocated before and sometimes found that if you weren't from the area, people just weren't as friendly. I don't think (hoping) that we don't find that in Blacksburg. Most of the colleagues my husband has met at VCOM are not from the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia