Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2007, 01:36 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,189,489 times

Advertisements

I lived in Blacksburg a long time ago when my parents were both attending grad school at Virginia Tech. I LOVED it there, but it's been a long time, over 20 years since I've been there. I've moved around a lot and my fondest memories are from Blacksburg. We currently live in Denver CO and it is very expensive, we want to move to a small town and I keep thinking back to Blacksburg. For those who live in or visit this town, what do you like most about it, what do you like least?

What other towns would you reccomend in VA?

Things I'm looking for:
I really like college towns because while they are small there is usually a lot of things to do, sports, arts, etc.

I want a place that has outdoor things to do, close by, hiking, biking, etc. and a place where there are rivers and lake(s) nearby.
Politically, I lean to the left, I have no porblem with other people having different points of view, but would prefer a more politically liberal town.
Affordability: you can actually buy a house in or near town for under $200,000.
Decent public schools.

Thanks!

Last edited by Dorthy; 02-19-2007 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 02:51 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,194,614 times
Blacksburg is now the largest town in Virginia with a total population with students included exceeding 40,000. It's an in-demand town and the zoning recently established only allows for a few thousand more people over the next 20 years. If you wanted to live in town limits, $200K won't buy much of a house. For example, in June 2004 I bought a 4 bedroom 2,200 sq ft house on the edge of town for $249,000. When we opted to move from Blacksburg to just south of Roanoke, we sold the same house 9 months later for $272,000. Right about now that house would sell for about $315,000. You see where I'm going with this. If you wanted to live outside of town limits for $200K you'd have to go as far as Christiansburg or into the boonies north into Giles County. In both of those cases you'd be heading into much lower quality public school systems.

Other Blacksburg weaknesses. Blacksburg is sorely lacking in the arts and culture department. In fact that's one of the main reasons why we opted not to stay. Virginia Tech is a huge college focusing on engineering, agriculture and design. Arts isn't their strength and the diminuitive arts community in Blacksburg echoes that. There are in fact larger more thriving arts communities in much smaller towns. If you love college bars and college-kid-friendly restaurants you'll be in heaven. If you want to see a symphony, get ready to drive 45 minutes to downtown Roanoke. Retail is slowly moving into Christiansburg because retail in downtown Blacksburg is dying no matter what they try to do. It's just too hard to survive as a merchant when 4 months out of the year the population drops from 40,000 to 12,000. Winter is bitter cold for Virginia with a winter wind that won't quit. Ask your parents if they have fond memories of walking across the Drillfield during winter at Tech Just last week I drove to Blacksburg; I left Boones Mill in the morning and it was 33F; an hour later I arrived in Blacksburg and it was 25F. The wind was blowing and every tree was encased in ice from a storm that arrived a week earlier. That same storm blew over us but the ice melted within 24 hours.

Blacksburg's strengths. Good public schools. Low crime. Probably the highest % of white collar jobs in western Virginia (about 52% of employees are white collar). If you like sports events, every weekend there is a sports event going on. Lots of outdoor activities too. Strong small economy. Lots of bio-tech jobs. Lots of teaching and engineering jobs. Summer highs hardly ever breaks past 89F.

From my own experience, I'd recommend Rocky Mount or Roanoke. I live between both, in Boones Mill. I'm a fiscal conservative social progressive athiest and you'd think I'd hate it here but in fact I absolutely love it. The pastoral beauty is unreal. Every month it seems like the Roanoke Symphony Orchestra has something going on and we try to make it to each event because they're a top shelf symphony headed by a musical genius. In Roanoke you also have Mill Mountain Theatre and countless other museums and arts events. I have musician friends and they attend live mic nights all over Roanoke. Roanoke has some really neat small villages in-town where you can still find homes for under $200,000. Not shabby homes either. Neat and eclectic brick tudors and victorians with small sidewalked side streets full of kids playing.

I'm sure others have more insight into other parts of Virginia.

Sean

Old 02-19-2007, 03:19 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,343,066 times
Sean, I just want to say-- if you aren't getting paid by Virginia for writing travel guides and relocation info packets, you're in the wrong line of work! Your posts are a wealth of information.

I'm sure I'll be hitting you up for lost more Roanoke city data over the next few weeks. (Unfortunately, I can't put you on the payroll though...)

Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,189,489 times
Thanks so much for the information Sean. I hadn't really considered Roanoke before but it might be a good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia