Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 07:19 AM

3 posts, read 8,691 times

Advertisements

I'm considering pursuing a faculty position at Virginia Tech. My wife and I are in our late 30's and have 2 children. Based on what we've read, we think we would love VT and the Blacksburg area. We're very curious about the social life for people in our life stage that are newcomers to the area.

The place we currently live has a large number of newcomers. My stay-at-home-wife kiddingly says she can take the youngest child to story time at the local library, throw a pebble and hit her new best friend. The town has alot of newcomers so people are friendly and open to meeting new people.

What is life like for newcomers (late 30's, kids 10 and under)? Blacksburg has a population of 12000 or so non-students. Are there other newcomers seeking to make friends? I'll be working much of the time so I'm less worried. My wife wants to be able to connect with other women like her.

Of course, this all depends on how hard we try and whether we are friendly and "normal" ourselves. Given that, what is the typical experience for (potential) newcomers like us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,138 times
Default Blacksburg

I am curious - did you end up taking the faculty position? My husband and I are in a similar position (similarly aged with 2 young kids, ourselves) and considering moving for a faculty position as well. We would appreciate any information you have acquired that you care to share....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia