Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 9,494 times

Advertisements

I live in Franklin, VA. and have this HUGE spider living in my window. Of course it looks bigger in the photos but it is about as big as a silver dollar, legs included.) I think it is a black house spider from the little research I have done but would like to have someone confirm that. Anyone have info on them? I won't even open the window to get the web out or anything.

Carol
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of spider is this?-mvc-071s.jpg   What kind of spider is this?-mvc-075s.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 03:16 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,412,059 times
As ominous as it looks, this is not a black widow. Be thankful that you have this resident living in your window, as it will feed on a number of other bugs that try to get in.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanshiba View Post
I live in Franklin, VA. and have this HUGE spider living in my window. Of course it looks bigger in the photos but it is about as big as a silver dollar, legs included.) I think it is a black house spider from the little research I have done but would like to have someone confirm that. Anyone have info on them? I won't even open the window to get the web out or anything.

Carol
Try the website www.whatsthatbug.com upload the pics and your question and they are very good at getting back to you. Great site for identifying crawly things from all over the country.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:20 AM

127 posts, read 431,728 times
i dunno but it looks pretty big to me, you may want to pop the screen off so it can go away if it chooses.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:01 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
It looks a lot like the house spiders I used to see on a regular basis when I lived in Georgia. A couple of which would often live between my window and window screen, as this one appears to do. It is definitely not a black widow, and unless it has a violin shaped mark on its back than it is not a recluse spider either. Those are the only two dangerous spiders in the US. Still, if you feel it is a nuisance, you could spray a little bug killer and solve your problem. Otherwise, you have a little arachnid that will live by your window feeding on gnats and mosquitoes. Could be worse.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:30 PM

3 posts, read 14,674 times
I live in Franklin, VA. and have this HUGE spider living in my window. Of course it looks bigger in the photos but it is about as big as a silver dollar, legs included.) I think it is a black house spider from the little research I have done but would like to have someone confirm that. Anyone have info on them? I won't even open the window to get the web out or anything

Looks like a 'funnel web spider'. Nasty bite. One like it, killed my cat.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:16 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,401,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyTreeBud View Post
I live in Franklin, VA. and have this HUGE spider living in my window. Of course it looks bigger in the photos but it is about as big as a silver dollar, legs included.) I think it is a black house spider from the little research I have done but would like to have someone confirm that. Anyone have info on them? I won't even open the window to get the web out or anything

Looks like a 'funnel web spider'. Nasty bite. One like it, killed my cat.
The only 2 "dangerous" spiders in the US are the Black Widow and the Brown Recluse. I believe that you are thinking of the Australian Funnel Web Spider. They are very very nasty and thankfully do not live in the US. That said, all spiders are venomous but the funnel web spiders here are no more dangerous than any other common spider. Its not likely that they could kill a cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: