Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 12,708 times

Advertisements

Hello all and thank you! I am considering a 5-year relocation to a company in Aldie, VA. I know nothing about traffic patterns, etc. in that area and am looking for advice on where to live. Per the moderator's request, I have answered the questions below...I would appreciate anyone's insight, and can email on the side if that is easier.

There's been many threads recently from people requesting information on which cities to live in in Virginia. If you are about to post one of these information request threads, please include the following:

-Where you are working - WORKING IN ALDIE, VA

-How much you are willing to spend on housing - PROBABLY RENT A HOUSE FOR THE TIME, IN THE $3000.00 PER MONTH RANGE

-How long of a commute you're willing to tolerate - UP TO 45 MINUTES

-If you have kids: Private school or public school? - PUBLIC, AND THIS IS MY TOP TOP PRIORITY...EXCELLENT ELELMENTARY SCHOOLS!

-What type of neighborhood environment you are looking for: small town feeling? small city excitement? suburbia delight? - SMALL CITY IS PERFECT, BUT I DO WANT A YARD, ETC. SO WOULD GO MORE RURAL OR SUBURBAN IF NEEDED

-Community amenities important to you - LOW CRIME / GOOD SCHOOLS

-Pie or cake? - DEFINITELY CHOCOLATE CAKE

We would only be looking to be there for 5 or so years, with our kids being about 1 and about 5 when we moved, so really elementary schools are the most important. I would not want to be TOO rural, as my wife will be home with the kids in a new place, and I want her to have as little "isolation" syndrome as possible. Also, I would want to spend some weekends, etc. exploring DC.

The final consideration would be my commute, meaning that the family is much more important. Aldie is out near Dulles, so maybe I could find a place that is closer in to DC and commute "backwards?"

I am coming from LA, so bad traffic is not as bad to me as to others...

I am so appreciative of any help or suggestions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 PM

4,906 posts, read 7,507,856 times
There are several large planned communities within an easy commute of Aldie: South Riding, Ashburn, Brambleton. They all have rentals of townhouses and houses in that price range. Generally, the Loudoun County schools are pretty good.

If you like the small city idea, Leesburg and slightly smaller Purcellville will also work. Since you're only going to Aldie, you'll have practically all of Loudoun to chose from. Middleburg will probably be too expensive for you but there is a good, private school there (The Hill School). Leesburg also has a private -- Loudoun Country Day.

You'll get more answers if you repost this in the "Northern Virginia" forum, instead of the general Virginia one.

You also might want to search: Ashburn, Leesburg, Loudoun and read through the threads. There is a ton of information. Then you can ask specific questions.

Good luck to you -- Loudoun's a great place for families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
View detailed profiles of: