Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:37 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,360,728 times

Advertisements

the Wii is great for quick "pick up" games. other than a Pokemon game, none of my Wii games involve long, drawn out story line (I have a couple of Guitar Hero games and Dance Dance Revolution, along w/ some Mario games I can't remember at this second). sometimes if I just have 15-30 minutes to kill, I play a Mario level or do a song on DDR or Guitar Hero. we've got a PS3 too and that's for the "heavy duty" games that can really suck the time and life out of you. it's amazing how time intensive a game like God of War 3 is (granted, I don't play for more than 2 hours at a time). it's impossible for me to play games like these in under 30 minutes. plus, it feels like the other consoles are lacking in fun multiplayer games that aren't shooting games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,306,709 times
I'm 32, and I usually play Wii moreso than anything else. I just don't get all deep and involved in my gaming like I used to. I'm all about Mario, Zelda, etc.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:32 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,626,883 times
not really love/hate.. more of a play/dont play for days/weeks.

i sold my first wii, ended up buying a second one recently. got heavily into soft and hard modding it. now, im the cheapest and most reliable modder on CL who doesnt support software piracy (like drew and mike do).

Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM

137 posts, read 170,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
Anyone else annoyed they have a Wii? I've had mine for 3 or 4 years and I've been disappointed with it for the most part. I can't get rid of it because of the few gems that do come out for it and the great family time it can provide (not to mention all the money I've invested in the virtual console). But at the same time I don't have the space or money for a 360 or PS3.

Anyone else have this love-hate relationship with the Wii?
Absolutely. I barely ever play it unless I have someone visiting the house, it's like a board game more than a video game system. My PS3 has better graphics and the games are generally better and Wii hasn't released enough games that take advantage of its capabilities and the Virtual Console started off promising and is now a complete disappointment. There are nearly 800 NES games available, only 88 are available on Virtual Console. That's a joke.

There's only 18 Nintendo 64 games!

Plus, the fact that they still haven't released a "Lethal Enforcers" or "Police Trainer" style game is absolutely stunning to me.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:51 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,998,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveycrockettino View Post
Absolutely. I barely ever play it unless I have someone visiting the house, it's like a board game more than a video game system. My PS3 has better graphics and the games are generally better and Wii hasn't released enough games that take advantage of its capabilities and the Virtual Console started off promising and is now a complete disappointment. There are nearly 800 NES games available, only 88 are available on Virtual Console. That's a joke.

There's only 18 Nintendo 64 games!

Plus, the fact that they still haven't released a "Lethal Enforcers" or "Police Trainer" style game is absolutely stunning to me.
Agreed whole heartedly about the light gun games. Adding online multiplayer to old games would be great too.

The small library isn't nearly as big of a crime as the inflated price. Really? 8 bucks for a 20 year old game that I probably already own?

Old 06-23-2010, 04:47 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,413,643 times
Some months ago, my mom bought me a PS3. I sold my Wii and Wii games to get PS3 games. When I did have the Wii, I was disappointed by it.

The Wii was disappointing because many of its games target families with little kids and people who want to lose a few pounds, as opposed to so-called "hardcore" gamers. I like first-person shooters, and the Wii is horrible in that genre. I had Call of Duty: World at War for the Wii, and compared to the PS3 version, it sucks big time. I remember the first time I played Call of Duty: World at War for my PS3. I instantly noticed the improvements. The graphics, sounds, and controls were much better than in the Wii version. Also, the Wii version didn't have the level, Black Cats. It also didn't have Nazi Zombies. The Wii version fails in every way compared to the other versions.

Speaking of controls, the Wii Remote and Nunchuk were all nice in Wii Sports, but once you start playing other games like Call of Duty: World at War, your arms will get tired. My arms were sore by the time I got to World at War's second level, Little Resistance. That's not a problem now with the PS3.

I hated trying to find actual good games for the Wii at Target. Everything was too kiddish.

I'm glad that I got to try out the Wii, but it's just not my thing.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,998,767 times
It's kind of funny now that at this E3 Microsoft and Sony were all about their new motion control gizmos, while Nintendo almost entirely ignored the Wii's waggle going for more retro rehashes and additions to their core lineup. It may be too little too late, but the 3DS looks like a darn good reason to replace my broken first gen DS Phat.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 PM

874 posts, read 1,661,283 times
I'm not loving my Wii, but there are some good games on it like Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and I like the fact that I can play my GC games on it.

At some point I'd like to get a PS3, but first I need a job, lol.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:36 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,073,815 times
Can someone answer my rambling questions?

What can I do with homebrew? All I've done is region-free'd/DVD'd mine with geko and downloaded a few crummy homebrew games on the HB channel. What else can I do?

I'm not disappointed in the Wii, but I'm hesitant to take the next step. When I bought it, I knew I needed to invest the extra cash in a balance board so I could play Wii ski&snowboard and Shawn White. I keep waiting for a Wii surfing game (SERIOUSLY, WHERE IS IT?!) which hopefully lives up to KSPS, but for now it's hard to justify spending the entire purchase price over again (BB + games ~ USD 200) just to go digital snowboarding.

I liked Wii sports resort. I played the one-player fencing "quest" until my eyes bled. Same for the Wii Sports boxing.

Tried a few RP games like No More Heros and Shattered Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon. Both became boring and repetetive pretty quickly, and didn't do enough with the motion controls for my taste.

I was thinking about Monster Hunter Tri, but I hear the same story with the lack of use of motion controls. I loved ICO and Shadow of the Collusus for PS2, and Monster Hunter Tri seems in a similiar spirit. However, the Wii is not a powerful platform. If I wanted to sit down and press buttons, I'd have bought a PS3 or Xbox360.

I hear that one of the zelda's makes good use of the controls, but... he's just so green. And with pointy ears.

Also considering rockband, now there's a BIG investment!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:36 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,413,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I'm not loving my Wii, but there are some good games on it like Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and I like the fact that I can play my GC games on it.

At some point I'd like to get a PS3, but first I need a job, lol.
Good for you. I ditched my Wii for a PS3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games