Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The decade you like the most
1980 or before 1 2.50%
1981-1990 16 40.00%
1991-2000 11 27.50%
2001-2010 7 17.50%
2011-2020 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 01:50 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,542,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
I think Phantasy Star (original) has aged superbly. still my favorite 8-bit game.
I’ve heard about it, but that’s one franchise I’ve never played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 12:52 PM

17,775 posts, read 15,576,650 times
Just from an enjoyment standpoint.. I'd say the 80's.. Old Sierra games. Damn those things were fun. Now, they weren't shoot 'em ups or anything like that.. But they were fun.. Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest, King's Quest (tho I didn't get into that series) and so on.

Sports simulations kinda peaked in the 80s.. Past that it became Madden style where you controlled the players.. But prior to that, it was AI. You didn't control the game, you were more in a head coach/GM role. While modern games have this.. Honestly, the AI was probably better in the 80's/90's.. Especially what i've heard about recent Madden titles.

You even had some old text based games. where you had to use your imagination.. Old Atari and similar consoles were the same.. The sound just sucked. But it pushed back where you had to fill in the gaps in the technology yourself.. There was a certain.. Enjoyment to that.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:48 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,698,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Somewhere around and just beyond the new millennium. Games weren’t quite so complicated yet, but had also started to get graphics which weren’t so stunted.

I find a lot of games now have so much stuff and complication, that while you get a lot out of them if you’re dedicated, they’re a bit too daunting at first. Also, I don’t need great graphics in a game - it’s fantasy, so in a way having the graphics reflect that keeps me a bit less hot headed when I get murked or fail in some other way.
I agree with this. Many of us adults with families/kids don't have hours to spend on a game. When I have 15-20 minutes, I'll go back to Super Mario Brothers 1/2/3, F-Zero, Mario Kart, or other old NES/SNES games just to relax. I still enjoy longer games occasionally when I have the time, but sometimes they just take too much time and energy. Something like Jackal, Mario Kart, or Final Fight are easy ones to play with a family member who knows nothing about video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Probably the mid 90s - mid 2000s. I was too young for the very early SNES games. By the time I was old enough to make my own gaming decisions, PSX was dominate.
If I had to pick any 10 year span it'd probably be this one. There were some games in the first half of the 2000's that set the stage for what people play today. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Counter-Strike. This really helped online multiplayer shooter games take off.

All within 5 years you had Call of Duty, SOCOM U.S. Navy Seals, Delta Force: Black Hawk Down, Return to Caste Wolfenstein, God of War, Halo, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy X, Guitar Hero, and the Madden NFL series started really getting popular.

This was along with some of the other ones already created by this time such as Doom, Unreal Tournament, Grand Theft Auto, Everquest, Myst, The Sims, and the Elder Scrolls. Really besides some better graphics and gameplay, what revolutionary innovations have taken place in the last 5-10 years?

Old 02-16-2021, 04:03 PM

14,797 posts, read 14,788,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Really besides some better graphics and gameplay, what revolutionary innovations have taken place in the last 5-10 years?
The online multiplayer, with large open world maps and cooperative content beyond some basic A-to-B missions and PvP.
Not much on the single-player side of things, though. Everything is designed to make the most money from the least amount of effort possible, and there aren't many new titles or companies who aren't considered scummy these days.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:31 AM

4,600 posts, read 5,500,748 times
The late 90s for me was my favorite. Its also when I really started to get into gaming seriously because some great games were released those years. Games like Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life, Quake, Unreal, etc. made for some quality and memorable gaming sessions.

While technology of today has made games better looking, there seems to be fewer and fewer games that are actually FUN while the market is just full of games. Many of the games people talk about on this forum I've never even heard of before and I consider myself a "gamer".

When was the last time a GREAT game was made and released? Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Skyrim and maybe Minecraft are the only ones that come to mind. Skyrim being the most recent that was released on 11/11/11.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:48 AM

3,208 posts, read 1,358,618 times
1990s.

Doom, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D are my favourite video games.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 AM

3,208 posts, read 1,358,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
The late 90s for me was my favorite. Its also when I really started to get into gaming seriously because some great games were released those years. Games like Duke Nukem 3D, Half-Life, Quake, Unreal, etc. made for some quality and memorable gaming sessions.

While technology of today has made games better looking, there seems to be fewer and fewer games that are actually FUN while the market is just full of games. Many of the games people talk about on this forum I've never even heard of before and I consider myself a "gamer".

When was the last time a GREAT game was made and released? Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Skyrim and maybe Minecraft are the only ones that come to mind. Skyrim being the most recent that was released on 11/11/11.
Duke Nukem 3D was released in January 1996.

It is not exactly late 90s.

Duke Nukem 3D feels like a more improved Doom with jumping, crouching and looking up and down. Aside from these, it feels quite Doom.

The way you make sideslip left or right in Duke Nukem is just the way you make it in Doom. The movements are taken from Doom. But they added more movements to the game, such as jumping, crouching which had not existed in Doom

Last edited by The Grandeur; 02-22-2021 at 11:05 AM..

Old 02-22-2021, 02:25 PM

1,609 posts, read 917,104 times
1996 can be considered late 90's since I consider the PSX a late 90's system.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:51 PM

3 posts, read 1,098 times
"No doubt, the '90s were the golden age of gaming for me. That period from 1991 to 2000 holds a special place in my gamer's heart.Take CS, for example.

Old 10-27-2023, 06:31 AM

3,823 posts, read 2,641,558 times
So many classic, iconic games were born in the 8os. And home gaming really became a popular pastime in that same decade.. so I voted for 1981-1990.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games