Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 05:52 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,564,554 times

Advertisements

Caught my son playing Xbox at 3am, laughing and yelling on line with his friends. I temporaily cut off the power. Was I wrong? To the parents, what controls do you use on your children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 08:31 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,744,773 times
I don't think you were wrong but seems like just taking away the power cord for the unit or something would be an easier solution. I don't have kids but one thing you can do depending on what router you have is designate certain devices to only have Internet access during certain hours.

Or you could just do what my dad would have done and slam the kid against the wall.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:34 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,311,955 times
There are a few things I would do:

If it's summer, then I'd let them play.

If it's late and they're making too much noise, I'd tell them to knock it off.

If they don't listen to me telling them to knock it off I'll put the XBox in my room.

----

The fact that you said "caught" your son playing Xbox means that he wasn't supposed to be playing. Like the above poster said: tell your son, these are the hours to play and if you can't abide by that then I'm taking it away.

A lot easier than turning off the power to the house?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:24 AM

28,804 posts, read 47,962,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I don't think you were wrong but seems like just taking away the power cord for the unit or something would be an easier solution. I don't have kids but one thing you can do depending on what router you have is designate certain devices to only have Internet access during certain hours.

Or you could just do what my dad would have done and slam the kid against the wall.

And put a good password on the router or you're wasting your time.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,979,169 times
Things like this really tick me off. Yes it is your house your rules, however do you realize that by suddenly cutting the power like that you could be causing permanent damage to the system itself? When you do a hard boot down (cutting the power suddenly and not allowing the system to shut itself down properly) you are risking permanent damage to the hard drive and other components of the system, same as you would be a computer, because lets face it, modern video game systems are just a fancy computer with its own little OS.

If you feel the need to take the system away, so be it, again your house your rules. Just do it in a way that doesn't waste a few hundred $$.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
And put a good password on the router or you're wasting your time.
Ya, good point. I would remember to do that if I had kids, but didn't think to mention it.

Old 06-24-2013, 04:05 PM

28,804 posts, read 47,962,726 times
Clients with teens and pron = good passwords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games