Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 05:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I'm going to have to get up on my soapbox here, but I'm really getting sick of not having any legitimate tactical shooters to play anymore.

Back in the early 2000's when the PS2 and original XBox came out, we had a real solid collection of tactical shooters to choose from. First, you had the SOCOM series which really set the bar in my opinion. The first and second SOCOM games have already been largely credited with being the cream of the crop and while SOCOM 3 and Combined Assault were a step back, they still remained faithful to their tactical roots. Next, you had the original Ghost Recon, which was a fantastic tactical shooter and a very popular game. You also had the excellent Rainbow Six series which carried over from the PS1 days.

So what do we have now? SOCOM 4 is a joke that has largely abandoned the "tactical" aspect of the game. Ghost Recon morphed into the Advanced Warfighter series and while those are solid enough games, they too abandoned their tactical shooter roots in favor of faster paced gameplay and futuristic style. Rainbow Six jumped the shark with the abomination known as Lockdown, and while they have moved to a much more tactical style game, it's still a ways off from what we had in the glory days.

So, not only have we lost our mainstay tactical shooters, no new games have really stepped up to take their place. Meanwhile, we have more spazztastic, Call of Duty style games than you can imagine. Anyone else out there disappointed with the demise of this genre?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:37 PM

11,147 posts, read 10,718,210 times
This is the reason I don't have a console to play games on. I stick with PC versions, and only play games that have dedicated servers. COD: WAW has several servers that only use tactical rules, ARMA II is a good tactical game, and there are some good ones coming out toward the end of the year (Battlefield 3, Red Dawn 2) that look promising. While BF3 isn't a technically a shooter (it also has vehicles and aircraft), on the right server it should be quite a fun tactical experience, assuming it follows in the footsteps of BF2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games