Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:38 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,621,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
Since my original comment was before i saw confirmation of friend codes usage... and the whole region locked bit was confirmed... I have a bit more to say.

I find the friend code system to be overly complex where there is no need for it to be so, and as such this is a rather large slight even though i do not play many games for online multi-player.

The region lock however is a big turn off for me. I like being able to import games localized to Europe in cases where a NA release does not happen and on occasion like the early hands on via jp imports. The fact that none of these are options short of hacked flash carts.... means this is no where near a launch by and even at the 1 year mark I mentioned before may be a bit more of a wait for me.

The region lock is especially irksome... i like special edition handhelds, NA does not get many... and that means if Japan gets one I like, I can not snag it then play NA release carts... so there will have to be some serious "must have" titles for me to really pick this up now.
The 3DS will be a bad investment for you. You need a system with less limits & more options maybe the Ipad or itouch. Nintendo will be compromising all 3DS units that use unregistered cartridges. By tracking all unit activity via automatic Wifi or network connections. Every gamecard inserted in your 3DS will be logged & track by Nintendo. If an unregistered flash cart gets logged your 3DS WILL SHUT DOWN & become plastic brick. 250 BUCKS in the toilet. Maybe you should invest in another firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
It is a discussion forum... I voiced my opinion on the 3DS, fairly simple... I never said I had no interest I said that I would take a wait and see approach. I then expanded later to say I disliked some of the choices made regarding the 3DS and this reinforced that decision.

You are the one who came into a thread about a Nintendo Handheld, brought up a Sony product suggesting I should look at that.... I simply answered your comment saying that unless it has games that interest me that odds are it too would be something I wait to see how it pans out.

In neither case did I say I had no interest, and in any case it is a discussion forum... so I came to discus and voice my opinion... simply because my view differs from that of some does not mean I am not entitled to post it... especially since at least one other poster has basically said they agree with me.

The question is not nor was it ever if they would have games... it was a matter of having games I found interesting, and when they would have such titles... I see no need to run out and buy a handheld I wont be using at the time because no games interest me at launch, hence the wait and see part.

But first you say you do not buy units for the hardware, then you say you need special editions of the hardware? That would mean you purchase for THE HARDWARE......RIGHT?

Old 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Wow.

Look at that.

Not a single one that interests me.
I am a lil choosey with games too, which is why I love the multimedia features on handhelds. Finding a really great game is like a needle in a haystack.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:36 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,232,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
But first you say you do not buy units for the hardware, then you say you need special editions of the hardware? That would mean you purchase for THE HARDWARE......RIGHT?
No. I think he means to say that he purchases special editions for the aesthetics. And I don't really blame him. If I'm going to spend countless hours playing a game on something in my hand, I'd like to have something nice to look at.

I had the luxury of using my husband's DSi and PSP until I could find releases I liked - the bright pink DSi (though not a special edition, it wasn't initially released in BRIGHT pink), and the Eternal Edition PSP. The same is going to be true for the NGP and 3DS. My husband doesn't care for aesthetics, so he'll get the basic release, and I'll mooch until I find releases I like.

But getting back to the 3DS (as is the topic), the idea of region-locking will make for very limited choices in getting a 3DS.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:00 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,410,628 times
Did you test it ?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 PM

49 posts, read 53,448 times
Sunday arrives

Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM

One word to describe the new 3DS......

BROKEN!

This new handheld has so many issues. The Black Screen of Death is really annoying, I have the bad angles on it, you turn the 3D on & if you move it goes blurry! Like you have to be a statue to complete levels. This thing needs to be redesigned ASAP!! could Nintendo not find a bigger battery to keep this thing working for longer than 2 hrs?? OMG! It seems the 3DS was really rushed on the market, but for what to compete with the iPad?? They think they can beat the iPad with this?? Luckily all my music plays on it just fine & it does read SDHC cards so thats a plus. Where are the 3D movies??? At least with movies you dont have to push buttons like you do when gaming. Right now this thing is a Nintendo walkman, because gaming on it is irritating. If Nintendo does not fix the black outs during games and the need to stay perfectly still to see what you doing, I have to take this thing back. 250 bucks??? more like 85 bucks is what it is worth. Print That!

Old 03-29-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:

BROKEN!

This new handheld has so many issues. The Black Screen of Death is really annoying, I have the bad angles on it, you turn the 3D on & if you move it goes blurry! Like you have to be a statue to complete levels. This thing needs to be redesigned ASAP!! could Nintendo not find a bigger battery to keep this thing working for longer than 2 hrs?? OMG! It seems the 3DS was really rushed on the market, but for what to compete with the iPad?? They think they can beat the iPad with this?? Luckily all my music plays on it just fine & it does read SDHC cards so thats a plus. Where are the 3D movies??? At least with movies you dont have to push buttons like you do when gaming. Right now this thing is a Nintendo walkman, because gaming on it is irritating. If Nintendo does not fix the black outs during games and the need to stay perfectly still to see what you doing, I have to take this thing back. 250 bucks??? more like 85 bucks is what it is worth. Print That!
1. You're looking at a system designed to make 3-dimensional effects without the need of special polarized lenses. It uses the natural eye to create the effect. Of course it's going to be blurry when not looking directly at it (from the right angle, of course).

2. Then, looking at the hardware and software necessary to create these special effects. Now look at how much space is left for the battery. There's your problem.

3. IIRC, Nintendo doesn't give a squat about Apple or the iPad.

4. Movies?! Better question: Where are the games?! The launched titles are atrocious. Movies < Games.

Overall. Every single hardware problem you listed... well. It was expected. Especially the rate of failure. This right here is the reason I will never buy the first release of anything electronic. Which, I've said before.. and later went on to say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio
It's always been my policy to never buy a first generation anything. There has only been one first gen electronic that has not failed me (well, except for that one leap year.....) and that's been my Zune 30 - even then, it was free and not something I paid for. The first generation of all electronics have bugs and kinks that can only be found and worked out after they have been mass produced and tested by consumers. The model they demonstrate for conferences is a one-of-a-kind version. It could function absolutely perfect. However, when that model is mass produced, things are a little different.
Honestly, if you are able to return your hunk of junk with a full refund, you should. Your PSP1000 is a much better system than the current release of the 3DS.

Though, just a tip: A working PSP1000 will sell for $70 on eBay. You can buy a working PSP2000 at Gamestop (blech) for about $20 more. Hence, if you wanted to upgrade to a lighter and slightly faster PSP... it would be rather cheap.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-29-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 AM

515 posts, read 371,330 times
Quote:

BROKEN!

You exaggerate..

Old 04-06-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
You exaggerate..
Not necessarily. FlyiMetro is not the only person I know of complaining about the horrible 3D, bad battery, and the black screen of doom/death/destruction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games