Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:43 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,164,008 times

Advertisements

That's good.
I respect nature and would like to just let things go their own way. I never heard of these animals till about a year or 2 ago so forgive my ignorance. I know some weasels are a bit feisty but it's not like we are talking about a wolverine or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 05:57 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,844,914 times
Hi, could have been a black mink; if it was a fisher cat, aside from being icky, their backs sort of slope down and they do not generally run straight but rather zig zag..I think it is their clever way not to get caught. I understand that fisher cats were brought here from Virginia (correct me if I am wrong) to deal with the porcupine issue (several years ago, overabundance of porcupines); so the fisher cats took care of them, and now of course, no one really thought of the potential of too many fisher cats - proliferating so now there are actually bounties on their heads or perhaps hides.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 38,423 times
I did see a weasel today. They are still in their winter-white coat with white tail with black tip. Pretty distinctive. The climate is much more harsh in Vermont than downstate NY. (Champlain Valley and Connecticut River Valleys are milder.) You can expect fewer species of birds in winter.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:20 PM

105 posts, read 359,644 times
We saw a bald eagle flying over the CT River on Saturday, it was pretty thrilling. I've seen different wildlife this past winter on our road, bobcat, grey fox, and now the eagle. I know that there had been a nesting couple on the Retreat Meadows in Bratt for a while, but I read they had left the area. Perhaps they're back!

Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 PM

18,354 posts, read 26,696,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Hi, could have been a black mink; if it was a fisher cat, aside from being icky, their backs sort of slope down and they do not generally run straight but rather zig zag..I think it is their clever way not to get caught. I understand that fisher cats were brought here from Virginia (correct me if I am wrong) to deal with the porcupine issue (several years ago, overabundance of porcupines); so the fisher cats took care of them, and now of course, no one really thought of the potential of too many fisher cats - proliferating so now there are actually bounties on their heads or perhaps hides.
True, but they were in VT originally, driven out as a pest. Then, oops, porcupines became a problem. So now the fishers are back, perhaps too many of them too. Same thing happened with a lot of our wildlife, wiped out when so much land was cleared for farming. Martens were another one, they tried re-introducing them back in the 90's but it failed, they didn't survive the winter for some reason, but there's been some sightings in recent years so maybe they'll make a come back...wolves eliminated too, deer were, elk too. Canadian lynx, despite being listed as "endangered" were never in VT in any high numbers, they live further North in high numbers (hence the name Canada Lynx). There's more wildlife in VT now than 100 years ago, because so much of the state has returned to forest...

No bounty anymore on fishers but a pretty decent open season (a month long) on them for trapping compared to many states...their valuable fur is enough to get people to get them...

Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,164,008 times
We saw an eagle last fall and it was so awesome!!
I've seen some birds (a few weeks ago) that were grey with yellow undersides..In summer I have spotted all yellow birds the size of canaries while hiking.

Anyhow, we have had chickadees and crows all winter. The cardinals are around now and more blue jays and the odd birds I mentioned above. Spring is coming!!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 AM

I watched a falcon eating a pigeon (I think it was a pigeon) this winter in my backyard...

Old 03-17-2009, 07:37 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,159,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I watched a falcon eating a pigeon (I think it was a pigeon) this winter in my backyard...
We had the same experience! A couple of months ago, a Cooper's hawk landed in the yard beside ours, right outside our kitchen window. One of his wings was hanging somewhat limply but then we watched him catch and eat TWO large pigeons. It was tough to watch but totally amazing.

Yesterday when we were walking our cats, we walked to where we'd seen the carnage in the snow. The snow had thawed and the ground there had a pile of pigeon feathers.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 AM

758 posts, read 2,902,948 times
Quote:
True, but they were in VT originally, driven out as a pest. Then, oops, porcupines became a problem. So now the fishers are back, perhaps too many of them too.
Yes they were originally native to the area and are making a comeback all over New England.

As far as "too many" of them....in nature there can only exist as many animals as habitat and food supply can allow. The idea that there is some correct "magical number" is purely a man made concept.

The population will balance itself out. If there is an overabundance of fishers, food supplies (porcupines, squirrels, chihuahuas ) will dimish, and so too will the fishers.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Yes they were originally native to the area and are making a comeback all over New England.

As far as "too many" of them....in nature there can only exist as many animals as habitat and food supply can allow. The idea that there is some correct "magical number" is purely a man made concept.

The population will balance itself out. If there is an overabundance of fishers, food supplies (porcupines, squirrels, chihuahuas ) will dimish, and so too will the fishers.
Nature is boom and bust. There's plenty of food, the predators' population booms. They get overpopulated and the prey population collapses and then the predators starve out. Eventually it starts all over again. Sometimes this leads to extinctions though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont