Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:42 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,498,478 times

Advertisements

This is my first Vermont winter and I have adapted. As long as my furnace is working properly and I have warm clothes and shoes, I don't mind it at all.

I love the snow, especially now that I am a renter and I don't have to shovel it!

There are a few things I don't like about the winter here, though. I don't like losing daylight at 4:30. But even in New York, days were shorter in winter, so that is not something that is particular to northern New England.

And now that I have my studded snow tires and my winter driving confidence, I am not intimidated by winter driving. But I do worry about winter storms disrupting my travel plans in the winter.

Overall, though, I am enjoying my first Vermont winter. But, unlike GypsySoul22, I have my heat up to 68 or even, at times, 70 degrees. When my furnace broke down, I was not a happy camper at all, and this was before winter really kicked in. And if I had to shovel a 500 foot driveway after working for 12 hours, so that I could get out early the next morning, I would be unhappy about that, too.

So I have been mostly sheltered from the most challenging aspects of a Vermont winter.

At least so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,275,685 times
My first winter living in VT was pretty rough because my body needed to adjust to the cold temperatures. My body ached from head to toe (back, neck, wrists). After I got over that first year, it hasn't been that bad.
Even if I want to stay in VT, I don't know if I can because I have asthmatic bronchitis. It is really bad in the winter months, especially this winter. The doctor told me it is caused by all the crap in the air. The VT air seems clean to me. I am using two inhalers and at this point, I am ready to rip my lungs out of my chest! Cold temps and AB don't go together. I would rather deal with this then humidity though!!

Old 01-23-2009, 03:59 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Seriously, the snow this winter is NOTHING like last year. (yet).
Okay now I am ready for the Blizzard of 2009!

Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,234,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
This isn't something that can be explained. You either like the cold or you don't. If you like the cold, you wouldn't understand how bad winter can be for the people that hate it.
I agree, same with the heat which **yes I get too hot and humid sometimes too lol.
I'm not here to argue about it, everyone has their own comfort zones and that is fine with me.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:38 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,884 times
For most of us even the people that like the winter, the issue is that it lasts way to long. I love the four seasons, but if it was more like southern New England(with the snow) it would be much better. I start getting over it when in "real"(around Easter) spring there are no flowers or there is still snow.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:17 AM

I am used to the snow being gone by March.

I remember shoveling snow in Brooklyn after an April snowstorm in April. It felt a little odd and out of place.

I wonder how I'll feel when there is snow on the ground here in April. I'm renting now, so I don't have to shovel it, but enough is enough.

We'll see.

I have friends in southern Rhode Island, and I always have the option of moving there. But I don't like it there. I don't like the ambience of southeastern New England.

I guess it's always a trade-off. I'll take the long winters of Vermont. I like the winter anyway, as long as I can keep warm. I always feel a bit unready for spring, but once April comes, I don't want any more snow. I want spring.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:45 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
For most of us even the people that like the winter, the issue is that it lasts way to long. I love the four seasons, but if it was more like southern New England(with the snow) it would be much better. I start getting over it when in "real"(around Easter) spring there are no flowers or there is still snow.
Don't expect real Spring on Easter in southern New England either. It's not as cold as Vermont here, but it doesn't feel like Spring on Easter unless we're lucky. Especially when Easter is in March.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:45 PM

129 posts, read 488,910 times
What part of Vermont did you move to Arel? My Dh and I have always wanted to move there, but worry about jobs!

Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 PM

319 posts, read 963,253 times
i dont like anything about vt.i wouldnt move back for all the bail out money freddie&fannie got

Old 01-24-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingreene View Post
What part of Vermont did you move to Arel? My Dh and I have always wanted to move there, but worry about jobs!

Brattleboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont