Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:10 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,142,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
Word of warning if you move stay away from campgrounds!
The campfire smoke can get so bad here on the most perfect nights....we have to close our windows.
And it can travel for miles.
And last and last.
I know we will avoid that in the future.

Whoa. Thanks for the warning. I'm sorry you had to learn that one the hard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,150,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post

Me, too. I hate nights that are so sticky that we know we won't sleep a wink unless we run the AC. The AC-cooled air has a severe quality I don't like, but eventually I'll sleep. If we move, we won't choose a house so embedded in the city (small city though it is) and will have much more green around us. Presumably that will mean fewer A/C nights.
How many nights do you need an AC in Rutland? I LOVE air conditioning, but I can't afford it. However, here in the Burlington area, there are maybe 5 nights a summer when I'd like one. Last summer there may have been only one or two nights. When I lived in Chicago, it was pretty much on from the beginning of June until mid September. My wife and I have a ceiling fan right over us and that's good enough for me.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,105,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
What I was most disappointed in was the lack of proper snow removal. This is Vermont. I expected the roads to be clear because Vermonters know how to deal with winter. For my money, depending on "solar-clearing" doesn't cut it .
They actually do a pretty good job here because I live off a very main road. Our road, the one that runs by, well, that is not done very well. Our parking lot (I live in a complex) is horribly done.

I tell you, Nelly, the worst part of winter was that ice storm in (what, Dec?). Ice is a lot worse than any snow storm. The first ice of the season in November threw us all for loops. The complex was a sheet of ice. You seriously can get hurt on black ice, but we had that back in NY, too.

Summer is usually much nicer than out of state. We do not have an air conditioner here. Our apartment is very cool which will help in the heat. Something good about being on the ground floor.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:55 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,075,563 times
I never had a problem with winter in Vermont. By late February I am ready for spring, but know it won't come until late April, so we just stick it out for another few weeks.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 PM

9,486 posts, read 11,251,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Does Vermont have alot of darkness in the Winter? What time does the sun usually come up and set?
Rises 'bout sunup.
Sets 'bout sunset.

Aaayyup.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,919,326 times
I think some people hate VT winters for the same reason they hate NH winters, cold, snow, cold, freezing rain, cold, ice, cold, darkness, cold, you get the picture.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,105,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Rises 'bout sunup.
Sets 'bout sunset.

Aaayyup.
Lol..!! Hilarious.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 PM

16 posts, read 34,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah. It's not as bad in the mountains though. It's also not as bad as further South but, still a bit hot for me at times...
Could u please define "hot and humid" as in temp and humidity average? I'm movin g from Fl to Vt in Oct and am trying to learn as much as possible

Old 05-15-2009, 08:55 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,960,686 times
I don't think our hot and humid is on a par with Florida's. Here it can be 70 and humid which is not too bad until you start working up a sweat. Then it feels like 85. 80 and humid feels like 95. 90 and humid is when we all become raving lunatics and mass murderers. Regarding relative humidity - I think anything over 65 gets uncomfortable. And I could be waaay off with that number because I just don't look at it often enough. Perhaps I should.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:25 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,515,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think some people hate VT winters for the same reason they hate NH winters, cold, snow, cold, freezing rain, cold, ice, cold, darkness, cold, you get the picture.
Which is fine in winter, but not in spring and it often lasts well into spring. Then it's followed by mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos, and some nice big deer flies when it gets warm.

Great scenery though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont