Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

The STAR program is actually statewide -- my parents were in Nassau, I am in Brookhaven. If I can remember correctly, the program started for all people after my parents moved. Prior to that it was only for eligible seniors. (I believe that program is Enhanced STAR) My parents hadn't attained the proper age at that point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 01:13 PM

894 posts, read 1,558,801 times
That's too bad. I don't know the details of my Dad qualifying but it helped a bunch.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:37 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times
Hi, I still think Springfield has some advantages; I see that many properties are being 'brought back to life' ..homeowners are taking pride in their properties...there are employment opportunities and there are places, such as Stoughton Pond Lake for swimming, boating and Okemo Mt. Resort is probably 15 -20 mins from Springfield and State forests, campgrounds...so there is the advantage of "Village" - residential community living with "Vermont Country Life" in close proximity!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:07 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,497 times
Springfield gets a bad rap because it was a working class area therefore distained
by the gentry that set the tone in VT today.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:14 AM

159 posts, read 405,222 times
Default lasell

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippperhead View Post
Did you know Harry Lasell?
I know where the lasell farm was, I may have even met Harry, so many people over the years that I don't remember them all. There were thousands that came and went in the machine shops, many more that lived in town and worked elsewhere. Lots of good, hard working people. It's too bad what happened to Springfield but the same thing has happened to cities all over the country that relied on the once solid manufacturing industry...hence the rust belt. I used to cringe everytime I listened to someone at the town meeting say the town needed to it's high taxes to maintain the infastructure in order to attract new business. That old song has been sung for the past thirty years, where's the new businesses? Towns all over America are competing for new business, you don't attract it with high taxes and utility cost. When I relocated I purchased a new home worth 25% more then the house I owned in Springfield, my property taxes are less then half what I paid in Springfield and my new town includes trash pickup in our taxes. How much does it cost a Springfield resident to get rid of trash each year, $300-$400? I'll go back to visit relatives and Vermont is a pretty state, but I'll never live there again. The reason so many out-of-staters own property in Vermont is that they have good paying jobs and can afford a second home in vermont. If a Vermonter wants to enjoy skiing at one of the states ski areas they have to get a job at the ski area so they can ski for free. That may be extreme because some Vermonters do make a decent living, just not as many as in other locations. I laugh when I read some of these post about fighting for change if you're unhappy, how many times did Springfield voters reject the school budget again this year and what was the result, the same as all those other years. Why spend years suffering and fighting an impossible to win battle when it's easier to move to a better local. One last thought, when Springfield did have a large industrial base it still had some of the highest taxes in the State. Look at the tax rates for the bedroom towns around Springfield who have no industry. They also have no full time fire departments and half the number of police per thousand of population. So buy a house in Baltimore, Chester or Perkinsville and get a job in Springfield like so many have done over the years.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:33 AM

4 posts, read 19,702 times
From previos posts: I agree with Zipperhead, OhBeehave obviously does not understand Springfield yet. Coming from a person who has done quite a bit to help Springfield. This town is ungrateful and mean. I want to move too but am stuck here paying high taxes in bad economy. Springfield gets a bad rap for all the reasons people mention. It is not for no reason. I once loved this town and had hope for its resurrection. I no longer do. I am strong and will survive but this town has eaten me alive and spit out on the street. It is the local politics that make this town everything it shouldn't be and someone who has hope will soon learn they can not help a town that does not want help from anyone not in their circle already. Main street is dieing because of the lack of support and good will. Try and get some help from "Springfield" to do good and those in charge of this town will pretend to care and then plan against you behind your back. The best thing to do is not tell anyone what you are doing and do whatever you want because no one minds there own business around here anyway. So who cares, Let Springfield Die if that is what the town politicians truly want. Trust me, I am not the only one to feel this way.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:15 PM

The only advice I have to give Soontobegone1 is to get out as soon as you can. Springfield has become a town whose only purpose for existance is to pay for the local goverment jobs such as teachers, police and firemen. I was lucky, I was able to egt out just in time before the economy really folded. Towns like Springfield, BF, Windsor and Rutland which were once industrial centers that drove Vermonts economy are now derelicts that the state funnels it's poor into and the gold towns detest for costing them tax money. Even in it's downfall Springfield continues to waste money away such as the Edgar May Memorial Bridge, reopening a useless bridge that hasn't been used in years, and the construction of new schools while closing others. One of the highest tax rates in a state which is the highest taxed in the counrtry, yup that honor should attract new business. It's a dieing town trying to squeeze the last drop of blood from it's remaining residents. It's a big country, get out while you can, there's better places that offer a better quality of life.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 19,702 times
Default To "Ex-Springfielder"

Thanks for your words of advice. I agree, time to go. It is good that a forum like this can somehow get the truth out if even in a small way. Glad you got out before the economy broke, lucky you. Where did you end up, if I may ask? I hope to write a book about my extreme experiences in Springfield, VT. It's true, living in Springfield, VT is like living inside a live "Simpsons" episode daily! So crazy and off track... it just has got to be funny. I am sure glad I figured out how rotten this town is early in my life.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 PM

I looked all around New England and even Florida but I ended up in Maine, 30 minutes west of Portland and I like this area a lot. My taxes on a bigger, newer house in Maine are 1/3 what my property taxes were in Springfield. I have stores for shopping all around me, museums, colleges, sports teams and a vibrant city but the thing I like the most is the area feels alive, something Springfield lost many years ago. I go back to visit family but I'm always glad to leave, on a recent trip back my oldest son who lives in Nh accompanied me and he made the same comment as we left Springfield, it was good to leave. Springfield and the state of Vermont are stealing from the residents by lowering the quality of their life. Some people think forest and sparse population increase quality of life but not me, I enjoy spending my own money on things I decide are worthwhile to me, not some politician who thinks higher of themself than they have a right to. It's a big country with lots of beautiful places that offer more for less in my opinion. I was born in Springfield lived there for over fifty years and it was tough to leave but in hindsight it was one of the best decisions I ever made. Good luck to you, I hope things work out for you as well as they have for me.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times
Hi, there are changes in Springfield; my office is in Springfield. And yes, there are some good opportunities for real estate in Springfield as well. And, there are 'facelifts' going on with commercial & residential properties. One does not have to live on the side streets closest to town either as there are also some good opportunities in more private areas of Springfield. The old 'gear shaper building', I believe that is called that is going to be completely renovated and my understanding is that Springfield Hospital and/or Medical Group (not clear as to which) is going to rehab w/medical 'stuff' and there are supposed to be, I understand, some shops, possibly restaurant or two in it as well. That could use confirmation.

There is crime here and there is also crime in Ludlow (Okemo MT Resort) area; there is crime in Rutland (which I understand is really pretty bad); there is crime in lots of places, unfortunately, however, I think that growth is happening in Springfield and with State offices in Springfield, a few new businesses, including a music store, restaurants being re-opened, this town should not be discounted. Feel free to email me privately if you would like for additional thoughts/comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont