Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:16 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

Maybe things will perk up now that the Simpsons live there, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 11:31 PM

26 posts, read 76,294 times
Default get in touch with the local hairdressers

Being a former employee of a woman who owns a salon in Springfield and Bellows Falls, I can tell you Lori would answer all your questions about as well as anyone or any other source I can think of. She is extrememly busy and successful in both of those towns. And she knows alot about everything. Check out "Boccacio's"...you can say Lynn told you to ask

Old 10-10-2007, 11:20 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLou View Post
Hi there,
Any thoughts about Springfield, VT? I'm hearing (from realtors & such) that ofo the Vermont towns, its one of the least desirable due to crime, schools and...?? Not too worried about schools as don't have any kids.

I'm also hearing that there are plans in the works to improve the town, but wonder how much of that is hearsay or if its really going to happen.

Anyone on this forum live in Springfield? Seems like a good location for work - e.g: reasonable size and commutable to Lebanon.

Thanks!
Springfield is ok, not wonderful, but ok. Some parts look past their prime, others outside of town (north and east) appear prettier. I bought a home up there and go into Springfield to shop, but wouldn't consider buying in Springfield -- I wanted something less developed and a commute wasn't an issue for me. I'm further west off of rte 11.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:45 PM

32 posts, read 180,599 times
Hi everyone,
Well, I moved to Brownsville, VT to rent for a while and just purchased a house on 18 acres in Hartland. I've been in VT since April and absolutely LOVE it. The progressive people, the mom & pop shops, the sense of community and of course the beauty. 5 people in the same amount of weeks have stopped by with muffins to say hello and welcome. Yes, I haven't been through winter yet but so far, Vermont is everything we were looking for. My Sig Other has more work than he can manage as a carpenter, and I am starting up my own business of horse massage/care & pet sitting, plus going to school to learn human massage.

I LOVE VERMONT!

Old 10-12-2007, 03:51 AM

11 posts, read 22,154 times
Default Congratulations!

I am very happy to hear how much you like Vermont, Loopy Lou. It is one of my favorite states. I replied to another of your posts several months ago which is how I learned you were doing so well now, as that post is still active. So in that vein, can I ask how your horse is doing? I am guessing you got him loaded okay, and wonder if you have any advice, as I am still working with my traumatized little filly on loading.

Hope your winter is (fairly) mild and Vermont continues to make you very happy.

Old 10-14-2007, 12:57 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopyLou View Post
Hi everyone,
Well, I moved to Brownsville, VT to rent for a while and just purchased a house on 18 acres in Hartland. I've been in VT since April and absolutely LOVE it. The progressive people, the mom & pop shops, the sense of community and of course the beauty. 5 people in the same amount of weeks have stopped by with muffins to say hello and welcome. Yes, I haven't been through winter yet but so far, Vermont is everything we were looking for. My Sig Other has more work than he can manage as a carpenter, and I am starting up my own business of horse massage/care & pet sitting, plus going to school to learn human massage.

I LOVE VERMONT!

I am so happy to read a post like this. I have been following, and writing in, the thread about lining up a job in Vermont, and the discussion has gone towards the terrible employment situation there.

I am so happy that your sig other has found work and that you are starting up a business and developing more skills.

I think owning your own business is the way to go in Vermont.

Your post gives me hope, especially after the depressing material in that other thread.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:51 PM

2 posts, read 7,671 times
Talking Making our own opportunities!

Springfield has a history of pulling itself up by the bootstraps and making lemonade out of a handful of lemons. Enough people are getting tired with the image of being a post-industrial town that is "past its prime" and are doing something about it. I'm excited to count myself among them!

For eight years, I've been building a community river group, the Black River Action Team. We get in the water annually to haul out junk, have a great time, and wear our nifty free tee shirts. We are now organizing paddle events, interpretive tours, Bug Hunts (for aquatic insects) and helping area youth and families get into nature through hands-on workshops. This spring, we're launching an educational water monitoring program, designed to focus on discovery and piecing together the exciting history of the Black River.

By all means, it makes great sense to have a job lined up in whatever town you are moving to, and to know some of your options before you arrive. There are some good-sized companies in Springfield and in North Springfield, not a dang thing to do at night (unless you like to bowl or go to a movie), a couple of pretty nice restaurants, and some really interesting history. There are recreational opportunities from the local bike and walking path to the Hoyt's Landing boat launch on the Connecticut River (decent fishing there, too!); there are also a couple of outdoor ice skating spots in town, a pick-your-own raspberry farm up the hill, a great park for hikes in the center of town, and an apple orchard on the outskirts. A couple of Chinese restaurants to choose from, a gorgeous series of waterfalls in the center of town, and some lovely back roads to explore. Yep, we have our share of senior housing (hence a lot of the sirens), but there is also a hospital, a new health and rehabilitation facility (that's also physical therapy, not so much drug recovery), a small but efficient town library, and a terrific local astronomy club (Stellafane and the nearby Chester astronomy group).

Low-income housing? You bet. Crappy-looking slummy places? Sure. What town doesn't? It all depends on what you're looking at or for. And there is no reason not to explore options for become active in the community. Check out the local chamber of commerce for some volunteer ideas, and make some connections!

Kelly

Last edited by Yac; 12-05-2007 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: link removed, advertising not allowed

Old 12-05-2007, 06:01 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I have never been there so I will not post an opinion. My husband has been to DMV there and said 'ick' but where is DMV nice anyhow?

I agree Vermont might have to change to survive, like many 'industrial' places. These cities and states that can adapt will be successful.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:22 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,827,137 times
Hi, Springfield, and also known for being the "home of the Simpson premier" is growing; some new shops, has some very nice residential homes/communities.....and it is worth checking out ...

Old 12-11-2007, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,010 times
Default Springfield, VT

I lived and grew up in the town when the machine shops were busy during the 60's and 70's.

I've only returned a few times in the last 20 years, but the town appears to have gone way down hill.

However, there are some nice areas outside of town like Breezy Hill and the area beyond the Hartness House. I remember there being numerous older, large homes.

Anyone moving to Vermont better do it with the eyes wide open 'cause the reality ain't what you think it is. I enjoy visiting but now live and work around Boston to make a decent living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont