Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 07:03 AM

5,457 posts, read 4,074,867 times

Advertisements

My husband and I bought an old farm property in VT, house was over 200 years old but unliveable (we sold it to be dismantled for the post and beam frame). We built a new house on the property.

I, and after a while my husband, experienced some strange things in the new house. Mostly the scent of perfume that could not be traced to any physical source. There was one spot on our 500' driveway where I would get a wonderful aroma like an old fashioned perfume. Happened over the entire year, so no, not a flowering plant.

Also I would quite often feel a touch on the top of my head.

There was a lot of quartz in the area, which is often associated with hauntings, and the spot on the driveway was near our well so there was an underground flow of water there (also associated with hauntings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 12:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,786 times
May I ask in which town these occurrences are taking place? I used to live in Chester in a home that was built the year 1785. Thank you.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:27 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,878,998 times
how about the hyde manor on route 30 in sudbury?

Old 08-06-2016, 04:43 AM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
I have a Vermont ghost story that involves another Emily. Emily Mather.
As the story goes, the Mather family moved from Massachusetts to Vermont after purchasing a farm, that now is part of Marlboro College. They had a daughter in her late teens.For her, this was quite a lonely existence, until one day she and her family were visited by an itinerant traveling salesman. As far as I know, his name is unknown.He peddled his wares in the many small towns that dot southern Vermont.

From the first visit, he became smitten with Emily Mather, and she returned his affection. A clandestine relationship began between the lonely Emily, and the traveling salesman. As Summer turned into Fall, and the weather became colder, things between the young pair heated up.

When Emily's parents heard of the relationship, they were appalled. They forbade Emily from ever seeing this man again, and her father, who was very strict, chased him from his home. He further confined Emily to the house.

The young salesman was devastated that he would not be able to see his beloved Emily. He committed suicide by drowning himself in a stream on the Mather property. The stream still runs through the Marlboro campus.

When Emily found out that her salesman killed himself, she climbed the stairs to the attic of the family house and hanged herself.

Suicide was looked upon as shameful and embarrassing at that time. So Emily's parents did not give their daughter a proper burial,and refused to call their minister. Instead, electing to bury her near the barn, in an unmarked grave. Later, the barn was remodeled into classrooms, and called Dalrymple Hall.

Next to Dalrymple, construction began in the 1950s for a new building, Howland Hall, that houses class rooms. During the excavation, human remains were discovered, and her body was disinterred and removed. Reportedly, that was when the activity began.

Today, the Mather farmhouse is called Mather Hall, and it is home to the college administration building. Although Emily Mather killed herself in Mather Hall, no activity has been reported there.

Dalrymple and Howland Halls are another story, and they are quite active.

Both students and faculty have reported seeing a slight, female figure, wandering between the two buildings. Many students avoid Dalrymple in particular at night, and do not hang around if they happen to have business there after dark.

Loud banging from the walls have been reported, as well as a crashing sound, like shattered glass. Both buildings have cold spots even in Summer. Buildings and Grounds maintenance men have been known to avoid both buildings, and one quit several years ago after being touched by the soft hand of a woman.

People have also reported feeling as though they are being watched, the sounds of whispering, and chillingly, the distinct sound of a woman sobbing.

My son is a senior there, and he had a job in maintenance last Summer. When he needed to go to either Howland or Dalrymple after dark, he took a friend with him. He and several of his friends told me that at times the hair on the back of their neck stands up, when in those buildings.
My son's girlfriend heard the sobbing woman one night after a late class. She was quite shaken by the experience.

Near Marlboro college there is a cemetery, that is also reportedly haunted. I am not sure if there is any connection to Emily Mather, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont