Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 59,379 times

Advertisements

Smoggy? Smalltown feel? Strong community? etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 05:05 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West5
Smoggy? Smalltown feel? Strong community? etc?
I wouldn't consider it smoggy, smalltown or a strong sense of community. To me it is just a nice, more affordable (relative), conveniently located community. There are cute, well kept neighborhoods and great shopping nearby. All of your conveniences are in town, but you are also close to the beach and the valley or LA if you need to go there for work or entertainment. Yet, you are far enough away from it all too. It is a nice sized town with lots of families, seniors, locals, transplants, college, etc. It seems like a nice mix of people and safe enough place. I lived near it for a few years and have a couple of friends who have lived there for years and like it a lot.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:31 PM

Thanks "enlightenme". That is very helpful info as I might move there. Anyone else out there with equally as helpful opinions?

Old 08-05-2006, 05:40 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,895 times
Not a horrible idea, but make sure you stay as far away from Oxnard as possible. If you work in the west Valley or Thousand Oaks, you're probably in good shape.

If you work closer to downtown LA, not so good.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:05 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky
...make sure you stay as far away from Oxnard as possible. ... If you work closer to downtown LA, not so good.
Here we go again with the fear mongering about Oxnard. Don't believe it. Please see the thread "oxnard, ca" to get the real deal on that town. If you move to Camarillo, you'll likely find yourself shopping and doing lots of things in Oxnard -- without the feeling that “something bad will happen.” It won’t.

Camarillo is an ok town, suburban, bedroom feel for the most part, with a quaint downtown. You'll find pricy upscale areas in the hills, and grittier lower-income areas near the center of town. It's far enough from the beach to not get bogged down in coastal fog as much as Oxnard or Ventura, but still close enough to the coast for mild temps most of the year. The new university, Cal State Channel Islands, is in Camarillo. Like all Ventura County cities, the town is growing and housing can be expensive.

Camarillo's convenient train station is served by Metrolink commuter rail service to downtown L.A., so if you need to work there, or anywhere along the rail line (Moorpark, Simi or San Fernando Valley), it’s not so bad, www.metrolinktrains.com. Express commuter busses connect Camarillo with Warner Center, www.goventura.org.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 08-14-2006 at 09:42 PM..

Old 08-14-2006, 11:18 PM

Thanks OCCAsparky and cre8 for the great help. I'm off to an interview in Camarillo on Wednesday, so I guess I'll find out more while I'm down there...

Old 08-25-2006, 06:34 PM

40 posts, read 200,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
Here we go again with the fear mongering about Oxnard. Don't believe it. Please see the thread "oxnard, ca" to get the real deal on that town. If you move to Camarillo, you'll likely find yourself shopping and doing lots of things in Oxnard -- without the feeling that “something bad will happen.” It won’t.

Camarillo is an ok town, suburban, bedroom feel for the most part, with a quaint downtown. You'll find pricy upscale areas in the hills, and grittier lower-income areas near the center of town. It's far enough from the beach to not get bogged down in coastal fog as much as Oxnard or Ventura, but still close enough to the coast for mild temps most of the year. The new university, Cal State Channel Islands, is in Camarillo. Like all Ventura County cities, the town is growing and housing can be expensive.

Camarillo's convenient train station is served by Metrolink commuter rail service to downtown L.A., so if you need to work there, or anywhere along the rail line (Moorpark, Simi or San Fernando Valley), it’s not so bad, www.metrolinktrains.com. Express commuter busses connect Camarillo with Warner Center, www.goventura.org.
yes, and if you get scared of the crime in oxnard, from the readings, its actually not that bad compared to others parts of the state. true it gots the highest pop of the county, but some cities with same pop are much, much, much worst.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 49,298 times
Camarillo is beautiful, if you get a job in that town, move to it!

Old 09-08-2006, 10:11 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Camarillo is really pretty. I don't live there, but I've been there on my way to Santa Barbara and I thought it was just a gorgeous, beautiful area. I think you'll like it.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:13 AM

6 posts, read 38,917 times
Beautiful town, good people, but REALLY expensive. If you will be making over 100k, you might be able to afford a standard tract home, MAYBE. Good luck. If you can afford to live there - definitely go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County