Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 05:58 PM

392 posts, read 1,092,787 times

Advertisements

Hi- we are currently renting at Oak Creek apartments in Agoura Hills - lease is up soon and we are exploring other rental options. We like it here and it's close to work (Calabasas) - and then everything else we want to do is in Westlake/TO/Newbury Park or at the beach (not into clubbing - just running and the beach and movies/eating out). We found an apartment complex in Camarillo off of Flynn Road that looks like it would work out really well but were wondering about living in that area.

We have driven around in Camarillo alot so we know somewhat what it's like on the surface - wonder if someone who lives/lived there would tell us more about it as far as safety/security/crime and also give us some idea of how the drive over to Calabasas and back might be (leaving from Flynn and 101 around 8:30am and leaving from Calabasas around 5:30 or 6pm - living on that side of Camarillo should help anyway). I noticed that Flynn Road on the way into the community was just alot of nice office buildings until we got back into the area where there were homes and apartments - seemed like it might be isolated at night or whatever - but quiet (?) - and it looked like a good place to run and skate.

We are still sorting out if we want to move or not - a larger apartment for less rent (or the same size we have now for WAY less) would be cool as long as these other factors are workable (understanding that more time in traffic and farther from the beach will almost always be a tradeoff for less rent). I appreciate any information you can give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 07:38 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,045 times
I use to visit a friend in Ventura while I lived in the Valley and I can tell you that the traffic is horrendous at 5:30 going in that direction especially over the grade into Camarillo and the same in the morning. It is probably as quiet as Oak Park but probably more mixed ethnically. I have lived in the Oak Park, Westlake area for over 15 yrs. and as a young person I would not move there. What kind of rent are you looking to pay?

Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 PM

Around $2350 ?

Old 03-15-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Westlake Village instead

We live by the lake in Westlake in a townhouse and pay $2100 for a two bdrm. with our own front lawn and large patio plus a two car garage in walking distance to stores and restaurants on Agoura Rd. You can find similar prices off Lindero Cyn. all the way to Truinfo Cyn. for around $1650 to $2000 by private parties. Go to the Acorn paper and Craigslist for private party rentals. I would advise against sleepy Camarillo and the busy grade going back and forth.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:17 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,644 times
Default Camarillo is nice and safe; commute can be rough

For the most part, Camarillo is quiet and safe. The 101 between west Ventura County and the Valley is no picnic, however. The Conejo Grade traffic is heavy, and if there's an accident you have few options for alternate routes. The grade is also steep and driving it daily will wear out your car. Northbound traffic on the 101 at the time you need it can be a complete nightmare. Fridays are the worst; I've experienced two-hour rides from Thousand Oaks to Oxnard in the early evenings. (Thank goodness I don't do that commute any longer.)

You do have some commuting options if your work schedule allows for it. Metrolink serves Camarillo - Chatsworth with shuttle connections to Warner Center and other areas in that corner of the Valley. Ventura County's inter-community express bus system, VISTA, serves Calabasas/Warner Center from Camarillo as well.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:51 PM

Thank you puffle and cre8 - that was what we were most afraid of (traffic over the grade and waiting for it to clear out) and it sounds like it would be that way all the time during those hours, even with normal/non-incident freeway movement. All the times we've been to Camarillo have been during off-peak times so didn't know just how much it would stack up. Current drive to work is less than four miles with two possible routes to get there (either 101 fwy or Canwood/Agoura Rd surface streets, job is at Lost Hills Rd exit) and very consistent travel times, would've been hard to trade that away anyway but now we know for sure.

Puffle, I looked at The Acorn online and also Craigslist and Westside Rentals and found some options that looked really good - I was completely surprised at some of the rates compared to the apartment complexes. In your experience is it probable that this will hold up for four months or are rates going up in all types of rentals?

Thank you both so much for your responses.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
Thank you puffle and cre8 - that was what we were most afraid of (traffic over the grade and waiting for it to clear out) and it sounds like it would be that way all the time during those hours, even with normal/non-incident freeway movement. All the times we've been to Camarillo have been during off-peak times so didn't know just how much it would stack up. Current drive to work is less than four miles with two possible routes to get there (either 101 fwy or Canwood/Agoura Rd surface streets, job is at Lost Hills Rd exit) and very consistent travel times, would've been hard to trade that away anyway but now we know for sure.

Puffle, I looked at The Acorn online and also Craigslist and Westside Rentals and found some options that looked really good - I was completely surprised at some of the rates compared to the apartment complexes. In your experience is it probable that this will hold up for four months or are rates going up in all types of rentals?

I think the prices will stay the same, especially with more houses on the market now. There will definetly be more options open during the summer starting in June. You can also go to realtor.com for more options.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:50 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,644 times
Default PCH alternate route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird View Post

Since your jobs are off of Lost Hills, from Camarillo you could conceivably take Las Posas Road to Pacific Coast Hwy and then over either Kanan or Malibu Canyon. When I did the Oxnard-Thousand Oaks commute, I used PCH to Mullholland and S.R. 23 (Westlake Blvd.) on occasions when I didn't feel like dealing with the 101. The coast route is longer, but a nice alternative on any day.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:41 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,088 times
Think of all the gas you'll be using if you live in Cam and work in Calabasas especially with gas going to $4/gallon it seems. That would negate any savings in rent. Cam is about 20 miles further than Agoura Hills to Calabasas, so at say 50 cents a mile (gas and depreciation) and 40 miles more roundtrip you'll probably spend $20 more a day on gas and auto depreciation, say $100/week, $400 a month easily.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:22 AM

Thanks for response, fumbling - we have been paying closer attention to the way the traffic stacks up on 101 toward Ventura during the afternoon drive time and have decided not to move to Camarillo and probably no further than Newbury Park (if we move at all). Last Friday the 101 was backed up (standstill) all the way past Westlake Village at only 4:15pm (I was driving back in from Solvang - day trip). This seems common and I didn't see anything that would cause a slowdown, other than just an extreme amount of cars.

cre8, I love that coastal route and the canyon roads - I drive those roads as often as I can just for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County