Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:44 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,384,816 times

Advertisements

There is crime in Spokane...but it's easy to avoid. There are meth types around and homeless, but it's a pretty small percentage. There is not a gang presence, that takes some getting used to. The problem is, thugs irritate me so much I'm afraid I'm going to get hurt because I want to tell them off the minute I see them. This almost happened to me last night at the hotel, the manager was afraid to deal with them. This is very different for a woman than a man, too.

However, I think we all know crime stats are not the most reliable. In area, Ventura is quite small compard to the Spokane area. Truly, Ventura and Oxnard are pretty much the same town to an outsider, just different neighborhoods.

I too value the beach and the climate, the question for me is how much. I think I value it enough to take the job, but perhaps live more inland, that could be the trade off for me. I don't know yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 05:47 PM

699 posts, read 1,351,893 times
A niggly thing - Ventura is half the size of Spokane, population-wise.

Ventura and Oxnard are pretty much the same to an outsider? First time I've heard that. How much time did you spend in town?

Old 04-28-2011, 05:56 PM

1,549 posts, read 4,276,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSky View Post
A niggly thing - Ventura is half the size of Spokane, population-wise.

Ventura and Oxnard are pretty much the same to an outsider? First time I've heard that. How much time did you spend in town?
See...you just want me to rep you more today don't you!!!

One visit to a town is not enough to say you have "been" there.

RGB, what keeps you in Spokane? Are there areas that you are not afraid to go in? I am really not scared of anything practically...probably because of where I was born and raised. I figure I can't be scared of what someone might do to me. I dunno..I don't get it. I moved here 10+ years ago all by myself, I can't think of being scared anywhere and I have been in some "bad" neighborhoods in Oxnard and Ventura and I wasn't phased at all.

Please don't let fear eat you up alive.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:59 PM

The thing about Spokane is that it is cheap. I don't neccessarily mind putting up with some *stuff* if I'm banking some money for later!

I'm afraid of getting upset with myself for taking an opportunity that earns me less disposable income, and paying double for housing what I pay now and being unhappy in the end.

At least right now I have money to do things with.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 PM

I seldom recommend this, but it sounds like you could benefit from a realtor or someone who knows the area.

Again, if safety is your #1 issue, I wouldn't be looking in Downtown Ventura or Montalvo! I'm repeating myself, but for Ventura, I'd check out the east end of town or something in the college area.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,166,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
perhaps, but for me it is immaterial. Because my income is pretty steady within a certain range no matter where I live. I make a good living in Spokane and will not get a substantial raise when moving to Ventura, so my income may be less (due to the 9.3% income tax, Washington has none). I will get a raise to move to Ventura, but the 9.3% income tax eats it up, therefore I may have about the same or even less income after taxes. Plus a higher cost of living.

Sure the big picture makes sense but my income isn't tied to the location so for a personal decision a person has to decide what is best for them.

The question is, are the high rents worth it? Is the natural beauty, the beach, being closer to bigger cities, worth putting up with crime and a higher cost of living? (much higher)
The California income tax rate is not really 9.3%. It is a progressive. As an example, with an income of $50,000 I think it would be less than 5%. You can go here and get an approximation for your income 2010 Tax Calculator

Old 04-28-2011, 11:20 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,924,771 times
Spokane was known to have a huge underground underage
Sex slave ring. It was bad. Spokane is Spokane.
I lived in Seattle for a few years. Most people thought of
Eastern Washington as another state. And Spokane wasn't thought of as anything special.
People would buy land on Moses Lake cause it was cheap, but nobody wanted to live on
The other side of the cascades. And Spokane
Was a bit farther out than Moses Lake.

I'd say live where you are comfortable.
Live where you like. But nobody ever said they wanted to visit Spokane.
Many people want to come to Southern California. Even with the
Crazy prices.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 AM

oh I know about the progressive tax. I'm in the 9.3 range, and so is someone who makes 50,000.

I'm not from Spokane to begin with, I'm from Chicago, and I moved here from Texas. I never said it was the greatest place on earth. I said it was cheap. And it's really pretty nice. The crime is very easy to avoid, and you don't see gang/thug types. But I knew that going in and I make a nice income here and can live cheaply.

I've always loved California, of course it makes me sad to see it in such trouble. The quality of life has degraded and you pay a pretty penny for it. That doesn't mean I won't go, but I certainly want to be prepared for what I'm getting into....

Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 AM

You came asking for advice, it was given. Did you end up looking at the college area? Midtown? East Ventura? Pierpont? Harbor Village? State beaches?

If not, way to draw broad conclusions about Ventura (and our state, for that matter) based on a visit to Montalvo and the Downtown!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 AM

I drove through the areas you are talking about as well. The impression I had though is that the bad areas are SO CLOSE to the good areas it's nearly impossible to seperate them in a meaningful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County