Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 8,932 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions on which apartment buildings or streets to stay away from in Ventura or Ojai? We are coming down augst 17-20th to check out places to live for our move. I have an 18 month old daughter and would like to stay away from a complex that is full of gangs and drug users. Orginally I was really into ojai, but heard the meth problem was really bad up there which suprised me with all that ive read and picturest that ive seen. I think when we spend those 4 days in ventura we will drive around to surrounding cities and get a feel for what we think and where we want to settle into. We are moving for his job as a fisherman. Any thoughts on san pedro? hope to hear some good feed back, Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 10:55 PM

699 posts, read 1,348,190 times
Steer clear of Ventura Avenue. There are some apartments downtown, but the amount and quality of high density housing in Ventura is sorely lacking.

I'd look in the Thille community off Telephone; if you're set on an apartment, take a look at Ralston Courtyards near that community.

Personally, I'd be targeting a condo/townhome/home from a private owner. The rents are about the same but you'd end up with more space. But you bear more risk of the owner screwing you. Ventura has many, many long term rental properties from private owners.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 PM

6 posts, read 8,932 times
Thank you for your input, Havent been having much luck on craigslist. Id love to find a private renter, thats our goal. Thank you! Ive heard nothing good about the Avenue.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:20 PM

699 posts, read 1,348,190 times
My experience is the bulk of private rentals are rarely advertised. They go extremely quickly, and you just need to drive it to find them.

There are a couple on my street that went literally within days of posting simple "By Owner" signs.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:46 PM

16 posts, read 64,529 times
I didn’t know if I should make a new thread or not. Suggestions on that appreciated as well.
Hello Ventura County,
My family and I are thinking very hard about moving out to the Ventura County area. I will start out making approximately $43,000 and moving to approximately $54,000 at year 2.
So, this move would be very difficult financially, and brings me to my question. Can some of you give me examples of how you make it on a very tight budget (in Ventura County)?
For instance, where we live now, (Wise, Va) there is a place called “J & J discount.” At this place they have items that are about to expire or has expired, and items from trucks that have broken down and had to get rid of their cargo. These are of course at reduced prices. Does Ventura Co. have stores like this?
Also, the job offer I have is in Camarillo. All of the advice I’ve seen on city-data talk about commuting from areas in Ventura Co. Is this because areas outside of the county are simply too far/long for commuting? Are there possibly areas outside of the county that are cheaper to live but still not too far/long of a commute?
Your help is very much appreciated. We want to move to Ventura Co. but without your first-hand knowledge it might be impossible.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:25 AM

168 posts, read 550,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cageman View Post
I didn’t know if I should make a new thread or not. Suggestions on that appreciated as well.
Hello Ventura County,
My family and I are thinking very hard about moving out to the Ventura County area. I will start out making approximately $43,000 and moving to approximately $54,000 at year 2.
So, this move would be very difficult financially, and brings me to my question. Can some of you give me examples of how you make it on a very tight budget (in Ventura County)?
For instance, where we live now, (Wise, Va) there is a place called “J & J discount.” At this place they have items that are about to expire or has expired, and items from trucks that have broken down and had to get rid of their cargo. These are of course at reduced prices. Does Ventura Co. have stores like this?
Also, the job offer I have is in Camarillo. All of the advice I’ve seen on city-data talk about commuting from areas in Ventura Co. Is this because areas outside of the county are simply too far/long for commuting? Are there possibly areas outside of the county that are cheaper to live but still not too far/long of a commute?
Your help is very much appreciated. We want to move to Ventura Co. but without your first-hand knowledge it might be impossible.
Yes you should start a new thread instead of hijacking the original poster 's topic.
I believe there are food banks through out Ventura County and I know we have many thrift shops (Salvation Army...etc)
Ventura County is big. If you live in Ventura County/Los Angeles County border area your commute will be 25 minutes. Santa Barbara is too far to drive to Camarillo. Anyway your best bet is to stay close to work given the gas price in Southern California.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:48 AM

16 posts, read 64,529 times
[SIZE=3]Thanks for the info 24hr7, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I will start a new thread on my new subject. [/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County