Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 2,364 times

Advertisements

Definitely French cities such as Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Cannes, and Nice. I think San Frans, LA, and NYC are pretty good too. I also like Vienna, Austria. I really hate Vancouver though. I don't like any Canadian cities. Canada sucks all the time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,364 times
Also, go to France, France is the best. Never go to the UK, it will freeze and rain the hell out of you

Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,308,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrycurious View Post
Here's how I see it after living here 6 mos.
Pros:
-beautiful places to hike nearby, including Stanley Park
-overall beautiful city; lots of new buildings and pretty good urban planning
-pretty viable transportation system with nice bus drivers
-gorgeous summer weather
-prevalent interest in 'green living'
-cherry blossoms, lots of greenery throughout the city
-pretty clean city streets. doesn't smell like **** all over like in SF
-feels safer than parts of LA and the Bay Area, even in the DTES.

Cons:
-museums are very expensive compared to ones in LA, SF and NY, plus the art is much lamer in comparison...i.e. $20 admission to Vancouver Art Gallery, $15ish to Museum of Anthropology. Crappy art scene in general.
-things more expensive here than the US, like $7.50 Ben & Jerry's pints (as opposed to $4.50), $20 tubes of sunscreen
-pricey transportation; $2.50 each way
-hard to find cheap, attractive rental housing. overpriced. many of the rentals available are basement suites eliciting claustrophobia
-the DTES; a big part of the city to avoid. I see prostitutes every day during my daily commute.
-rains so much of the year; can't enjoy the hiking and other outdoor opportunities as much
-not really 'diverse'. Pretty much tons of Chinese and other East Asian people, some whites, and a handful of Indians.
-homeless problem

This is the best city I've lived in so far, but it's not perfect. Do you guys think there are better cities to live?
Answering to your question, obviously from my point of view.

Better city to live in Canada?? No, not really, Van is pretty much the best especially if you are cold weather sensitive....As someone says, Victoria is for the "newly wed and the nearly dead"...

Outside of Canada?? Lot of places way better than Van even if only restricted to the USA.

Are you a US citizen or permanent resident?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,177,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning0949 View Post
Definitely French cities such as Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Cannes, and Nice. I think San Frans, LA, and NYC are pretty good too. I also like Vienna, Austria. I really hate Vancouver though. I don't like any Canadian cities. Canada sucks all the time!
Then why bother coming to the Canada forum, then search out the Vancouver thread, create a new user account, just to categorically trash Vancouver and all of Canada? Some people really need better things to do in their lives...

Old 04-28-2015, 10:07 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,177,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
However, Vancouver is more comparable to American cities than to Australian and European cities. Australian cities offer much higher paying jobs, while Vancouver is expensive and low paid.

If by "parts of Europe" you mean London and Paris and similar cities, your arguments simply don't stand because those cities offer way more than Vancouver's mountain and ocean backdrop does. It is like saying the advantage of living in Omaha is it being more affordable than New York City.

Keep in mind Vancouver is not a city for 20 or 30 something young people to work hard and get a good middle class life. The cost of living in this city by far exceeds the income level the city is able to provide to local people, and advantage of living by the mountain and ocean honestly is by means a unique thing in North America or any continent.

Vancouver, in the end offers similar stuff as Portland, OR or Seattle, WA, or Denver, CO, yet charges a price premium close to New York City.
No one is comparing Vancouver to Paris or New York.

From my previous visits to Vancouver (parents also live and work in Vancouver), the only outstanding item that is outrageously expensive is real estate. Rent is cheap compared to American cities, and daily necessities in Vancouver are comparable to prices in Toronto, Montreal, and other Canadian cities.

Also, transit fares in Vancouver are actually right on par with those charged in the UK and continental Europe. In Berlin, the average 2-zone transit fare starts at 2.70 eur, or $3.57 cad. Translink charges $4 cad for a similar 2-zone fare that is eligible on all modes of transit throughout greater Vancouver. I find it a bit odd that people always expect superior transit while complaining about a $2-4 dollar fare.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:28 PM

98 posts, read 132,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightning0949 View Post
Better tell all your friends in France to stop listening to all the great music coming out of Montreal...because you know...Canada sucks all the time!

Old 04-29-2015, 01:08 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,879,188 times
In Canada, besides Vancouver , Victoria, the Oysoos and southern Ontario have temperate climates. If I were to move to CND, I'd elect one of these places.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:10 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
In Canada, besides Vancouver , Victoria, the Oysoos and southern Ontario have temperate climates. If I were to move to CND, I'd elect one of these places.
When I think of a temperate climate I think of most of France except for the Mediterranean region.

Southern Ontario isn't really temperate in this way. It generally has winters similar to Oslo-Helsinki, but its summers are more similar to southern France and northern Italy.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:50 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,735,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Southern Ontario doesn't have "temperate climate". I don't know how you get this idea. Only a Canadian who lives his entire life in Canada will come up with this sort of conclusion.

Pretty much the entire Europe except Russia is more temperate than southern Ontario, and that includes Nordic countries. 95% of entire Asia with billions of people live in warmer climate zone than southern Ontario (admittedly, some areas are too hot in the summer, not really temperate per se). The entire continent of Africa, Oceania and South America are more temperate than southern Ontario. Also 95% of North American population live in area more temperate than southern Ontario.

Even Reykjavik, Iceland at N 64° has a much warmer January than Windsor, Ontario (N 41°).

Old 04-29-2015, 06:12 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,895,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Southern Ontario doesn't have "temperate climate". I don't know how you get this idea. Only a Canadian who lives his entire life in Canada will come up with this sort of conclusion.
Nobody from Southern Ontario/Canada even said that we have a temperate climate. It was someone who said if they moved to Canada as in the guy "Pigeonhole" - so it was nobody from here who said that.. This is how rumours start lol.. Oh those silly Canadians think that Southern Ontario is temperate pfft even though it wasn't even us..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver