Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:27 PM

328 posts, read 997,304 times

Advertisements

I have heard Winnipeg has good art museums. I don't know since I've never been there. It has to be cheaper than Vancouver though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 07:40 PM

78 posts, read 254,845 times
Winnipeg is also in the continental zone; hot ass summers, cold ass winters.

...Portland is full of too many guys with huge beards. Just kidding. Kind of.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 PM

9 posts, read 13,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrycurious View Post
Winnipeg is also in the continental zone; hot ass summers, cold ass winters.

...Portland is full of too many guys with huge beards. Just kidding. Kind of.
Winterpeg is a frozen ****hole. Stay the hell away

Old 07-23-2012, 03:16 PM

676 posts, read 648,761 times
How unique is Vancouver in the world? I would like to move to a similar city but with a much better climate. Somewhere that I can at least be guaranteed sunshine from May - September. It's the middle of July and it's been awful being here the last few days. I did not wait and suffer through SAD for 10 months to get this while paying through the nose for housing and being casually reminded from time to time that my property is sitting on a tectonic time bomb.

The only thing I want from Vancouver is basically to be near a nice body of water where I can sail or boat on a fairly frequent basis, as well as paths for hiking and mountain biking. Having a "hip" metropolitan area with boutiques and good restaurants would also be a necessity. Getting ski hills with the climate I am asking for is a pipe dream, so I am going to forgo that and just save for an annual ski trip back here to Whistler. It does need to be a reasonably sized city, minimum metropolitan population of 500,000. I don't care for coffee, yoga or public transportation. I'd be willing to move around North America or consider Australia. Any ideas?

Old 07-23-2012, 06:52 PM

311 posts, read 1,138,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvbubbletea View Post
Winterpeg is a frozen ****hole. Stay the hell away
Have you ever been there? Winnipeg is a very nice city.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
How unique is Vancouver in the world? I would like to move to a similar city but with a much better climate. Somewhere that I can at least be guaranteed sunshine from May - September. It's the middle of July and it's been awful being here the last few days. I did not wait and suffer through SAD for 10 months to get this while paying through the nose for housing and being casually reminded from time to time that my property is sitting on a tectonic time bomb.

The only thing I want from Vancouver is basically to be near a nice body of water where I can sail or boat on a fairly frequent basis, as well as paths for hiking and mountain biking. Having a "hip" metropolitan area with boutiques and good restaurants would also be a necessity. Getting ski hills with the climate I am asking for is a pipe dream, so I am going to forgo that and just save for an annual ski trip back here to Whistler. It does need to be a reasonably sized city, minimum metropolitan population of 500,000. I don't care for coffee, yoga or public transportation. I'd be willing to move around North America or consider Australia. Any ideas?
Monaco.
Rio de Janeiro
Aukland,
Waikiki
Tampa
Halifax

Old 07-24-2012, 01:56 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post

Not unique at all.
Plenty of north American cities with all the qualities you desire. Seattle, Portland, San Francsico, Los Angeles, San Diego, coastal Florida .
Outside North America, there are a lot more.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 PM

98 posts, read 232,608 times
We are ex- vancouverites, with family who still live there (van), on the gulf islands and victoria, we moved away to the usa in 1990 and never looked back.In order to decide what is appropriate for you ,write down your values, and what is most important to you.Give a high priority to your number 1 values.Our main concern was financial.Neither of us was progressing in our chosen profession.We also did not see a future for our children in Van. Living paycheck to paycheck gets old.We live in the midwest, and there are many things we miss about Van., and other things like rain which we don/t miss. In retrospect , if we had we better careers and a positive family support system, we might have stayed. Canada is a great place to live but IMHO difficult for families.Choose wisely.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:59 AM

9 posts, read 13,568 times
Try London (UK) if you can afford it.
-It's Green with lots of parks everywhere similar to Vancouver
- Has one of the best art scenes in the world
-Extremely walkable like NY,SF & downtown Vancouver (a Car is not needed, great public transportation system covering the whole city)
-BEAUTIFUL city with great architecture after coming here you realise how pathetic the grove shopping mall in LA is
-it has an even better nightife than New York or LA (people are more interested in who you are rather than your bank account)

Other suggestions
-San Diego .CA (SoCal without the gun violence & crime that comes with LA)
-Boston MA (beautiful architecture the city planning reminds me of a mini London minus the exciting nightlife & British people of course. Also very green with lots of parks)

Old 08-10-2012, 08:58 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,888,213 times
When I went to Singapore I could have sworn I stumbled upon Vancouver with the heat turned on (really high). Maybe a place to consider if your search is worldwide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver