Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:05 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,625,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsnkali View Post
Well, a big reason city neighborhoods like those pictured were left hanging in the wind was the social tinkering by the do-gooders with busing. I remember Minneapolis in the 70s. Thriving neighborhoods. Neighborhood schools. Safe. Great place to live. Then busing reared its ugly head. Goodbye neighborhood schools. Pack the kids in buses to be used as pawns. Move the white kids there. Move the black kids here. Lets play board games with peoples lives...

For sale signs all over the place. Falling prices. White flight. Gone. Then the social tinkerers said: "We don't have enough white kids to bus anymore. Lets include the inner ring suburbs..."

So the rings of suburbs expanded farther and farther out. Price and distance was the buzzword to avoid having your kids go to school with the expanding welfare underclass.

So now many move FAR out. They see the pattern. The fact is, people in the middle and upper middle class of all colors don't want their kids going to school with the Culture of the Slums or the Culture of Mexico. Period.

Weren't the so-called "Great Society" welfare programs of the 60s and 70s a smashing success??? PAY people to do all the wrong things and then wonder why there is more of it....

So, I agree about the lament of wasted resources with the sprawl. I agree about the SUV culture and the ugly monster homes. But until we FIX what's wrong with the UNDERCLASS CULTURE, this land wasting escape pattern will continue....

We can dream of a different world where we all march arm in arm into the sunset. That's all it is...A PIPE DREAM. World wide, the same thing goes on. Hard working people of all stripes do not want their kids going to school with a bunch of misbehaving, violent thugs. It's not racism. It's not wrong. It's the way things REALLY ARE. So until we move beyond the lies of political correctness, nothing will change.
If what you are saying is true, then the suburban sprawl problem that I see when I travel to Minneapolis is quite evident. That metro area is one of the top 10 in the country in terms of sprawl. In fact the latest population figures show that Ramsey County is declining in population, Hennepin County is stagnating, and their is massive population growth in the suburban and exurban counties surrounding the two-county urban core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning