Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:46 AM

518 posts, read 1,792,226 times

Advertisements

I am one of the rare people out there that love a planned community. I like that they are built with families in mind. Having a pool, community center, golf and tennis amenities, walking trails with ponds and landscaping to look at. I don't mind paying HOA fees, if it keep the neighborhood looking good. Unfortunately I seem to only find these type of communities in southern states. Never in NJ, Pa, VA or md. Am I wrong? Does anyone know of this type of living in northern areas? And no the Poconos is not the answer I am looking for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:15 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
The Hills in Bedminster/Basking Ridge is a planned community, but you're right, unless you're talking about a retirement community, they are rare in NJ.

I know a lot exist in NoVA, I have a friend who lives in one in Centreville, and they're all over the place there. I believe another friend of mine lives in one in Gaithersburg MD.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
I am one of the rare people out there that love a planned community. I like that they are built with families in mind. Having a pool, community center, golf and tennis amenities, walking trails with ponds and landscaping to look at. I don't mind paying HOA fees, if it keep the neighborhood looking good. Unfortunately I seem to only find these type of communities in southern states. Never in NJ, Pa, VA or md. Am I wrong? Does anyone know of this type of living in northern areas? And no the Poconos is not the answer I am looking for!
Wasn't Columbia, MD one of the first planned communities?
Reston, VA?
Kentlands in Gaithersburg, MD?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Columbia is seen as the original huge scale planned community.

Another big pro of the planned community I live in: designed central commercial and office space area. I really like that there's a grocery store, restuarants, banks, doctors, etc. all within walking or biking distance. I don't want to have to drive five miles when I run out of laundry soap in the middle of wash day and need more.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:30 AM

518 posts, read 1,792,226 times
I checked out Kentlands and Columbia. Very nice but very expensive. The Hills in Bedminister, wish I bought into it 15 years ago when it was affordable! Too bad contractors and investors don't get the hint that there is a need for this in the Northeast. Its really like living on vacation. Keep the community names coming, maybe I can afford something. My budget is 450k for a 4 bedroom and at this price in these areas I can about afford a bungalow. Pretty sad.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:49 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
...Another big pro of the planned community I live in: designed central commercial and office space area. I really like that there's a grocery store, restuarants, banks, doctors, etc. all within walking or biking distance. I don't want to have to drive five miles when I run out of laundry soap in the middle of wash day and need more.
Sad fact of life is that most cities in towns in the US were set up like this up until the 50s/60s. And they wern't even planned! Still some around, but very rare (I live in one). It was the market that produced these, but the government killed them when they brought their interstate highways to practically every corner of America, urban and rural.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
I agree. New Jersey and New York need more of these. I actually like them. I also like New Urbanism.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:34 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Isn't there one in Plainsboro, NJ?

I think there are some of these places for retirees in Ocean County.

But true, there aren't many places in NJ where you can plop down one of these giant communities. I think what we're seeing more of is the rehabilitation of some of our older towns and villages. The idea that you could walk down the block and get a gallon of milk is new in places like Virginia. Not a new concept in New Jersey.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:21 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Isn't there one in Plainsboro, NJ?

I think there are some of these places for retirees in Ocean County.

But true, there aren't many places in NJ where you can plop down one of these giant communities. I think what we're seeing more of is the rehabilitation of some of our older towns and villages. The idea that you could walk down the block and get a gallon of milk is new in places like Virginia. Not a new concept in New Jersey.
I think South Jersey has the most of these places. But what about infill or places with newer houses, chains, and etc. New Jersey doesn't seem to have many new construction at all, well neither does Long Island.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
I checked out Kentlands and Columbia. Very nice but very expensive. The Hills in Bedminister, wish I bought into it 15 years ago when it was affordable! Too bad contractors and investors don't get the hint that there is a need for this in the Northeast. Its really like living on vacation. Keep the community names coming, maybe I can afford something. My budget is 450k for a 4 bedroom and at this price in these areas I can about afford a bungalow. Pretty sad.
The land just isn't available here and any land available is so expensive, coupled that with zoning restrictions and the price point (right now, who knows in a year or two) will be out of reach for you. Let's not even talk about the economy......

Also, everything's built out in the Northeastern part of the state, and a huge chunk of land in the Northwest is protected. The pinelands too is mostly protected so you're out of luck there.

Check out Centreville VA - they're hard hit by the RE crisis and I'm sure you can get a house in your range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning