Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2010, 06:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times

Advertisements

Are any urban planners focusing heavily on creating walkable communities for senior citizens? I have no intention of living in a town like my parents, where they are beholden to their car to go everywhere. Seniors need to have communities with low-rise and/or elevator buildings, shopping centers and medical offices that are easily accessible by foot. Green areas for sitting outside would be nice as well.

I have no interest in going to the sunbelt, so I'm wondering what's available in the west, midwest or northeast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 08:35 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
In many cities there are 55+ apartment buildings located within the larger community; there's really no need to create specific towns that are only made up of senior citizens just to get those amenities, so looking for those sorts of places might be the best option for what you're seeking. Here in Minneapolis there have been a number of these sorts of buildings built in some of the inner ring suburbs with an aging population; they allow people who can't or don't want to maintain their older, bigger single family home to still remain in the same town. They're located near lots of things, including bus lines (many have bus stops right out front). There are lots more of those sorts of buildings within the city itself. They have a lot of things located within close walking distance, and the buildings usually also help organize weekly bus rides to the store, etc.

My great-grandmother chose to live in a regular apartment building until she was in her 90s; the location in the city made it easy to get around.

I'm not sure what is being done in terms of entire towns or communities made up of only older people, but I am surprised that so many of those larger retirement communities are so car (or in some cases golf cart) dependent.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
In many cities there are 55+ apartment buildings located within the larger community; there's really no need to create specific towns that are only made up of senior citizens just to get those amenities, so looking for those sorts of places might be the best option for what you're seeking. Here in Minneapolis there have been a number of these sorts of buildings built in some of the inner ring suburbs with an aging population; they allow people who can't or don't want to maintain their older, bigger single family home to still remain in the same town. They're located near lots of things, including bus lines (many have bus stops right out front). There are lots more of those sorts of buildings within the city itself. They have a lot of things located within close walking distance, and the buildings usually also help organize weekly bus rides to the store, etc.

My great-grandmother chose to live in a regular apartment building until she was in her 90s; the location in the city made it easy to get around.

I'm not sure what is being done in terms of entire towns or communities made up of only older people, but I am surprised that so many of those larger retirement communities are so car (or in some cases golf cart) dependent.
I had a blended age community within a larger city/town in mind but that is self-contained with specific amenities that would be useful to an older population -- specifically ror those that would prefer to live in an apartment (or condo/co-op) rather than a single family house.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:48 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
My mother drives approximately 200 yards to get to the clubhouse of her 55+ community!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

There's a number of these 55+ retirement communities (Del Webb) in the Las Vegas Valley, and they're all a great distance from the downtown area, and I'm a couple years away from retirement they hold no interest for me.

I'm nonplussed at the lack of planning of these communities, where you can't even walk to a convenience store, let alone a bar for a nightcap at night, and extremely limited public transit or none at all.

In this state, to drive past 70, you need to have that acknowledged by a Doctor.

That's my fear, I'll be told one day I can't drive anymore, or fail the eye test at the DMV, get a DUI, and then I'm stuck in one of these poorly planned communities
dependent on taxicabs or equally older drivers who I may not trust behind the wheel of a car.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There's a number of these 55+ retirement communities (Del Webb) in the Las Vegas Valley, and they're all a great distance from the downtown area, and I'm a couple years away from retirement they hold no interest for me.

I'm nonplussed at the lack of planning of these communities, where you can't even walk to a convenience store, let alone a bar for a nightcap at night, and extremely limited public transit or none at all.

In this state, to drive past 70, you need to have that acknowledged by a Doctor.

That's my fear, I'll be told one day I can't drive anymore, or fail the eye test at the DMV, get a DUI, and then I'm stuck in one of these poorly planned communities
dependent on taxicabs or equally older drivers who I may not trust behind the wheel of a car.
I agree. This should be on someone's planning radar. With late baby boomers and Gen Xers living in urban areas more than their suburban parents did, they will probably want the same conveniences in retirement. Staying in a place like NYC on a retiree's income may be difficult, which is why I'm thinking about alternatives now (I'm in my mid 40s).

Old 07-26-2010, 10:53 AM

I was scouting around Queens, NY yesterday and came across a new development in The Rockaways that seems to have some potential. Any thoughts on this???

Arverne-by-the-Sea

Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I was scouting around Queens, NY yesterday and came across a new development in The Rockaways that seems to have some potential. Any thoughts on this???

Arverne-by-the-Sea
How unsusual! My grandfather lived near here when I was young (late 80s). Riding along the Rockaway Freeway (the road under the A-train tracks) I used to be so enthralled by the sudden absence of property on the oceanside. 30 some-odd blocks of dunes with marked streets cut into them.

Is there any dedicated 55+ housing? I didn't see any info about that on the website.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
How unsusual! My grandfather lived near here when I was young (late 80s). Riding along the Rockaway Freeway (the road under the A-train tracks) I used to be so enthralled by the sudden absence of property on the oceanside. 30 some-odd blocks of dunes with marked streets cut into them.

Is there any dedicated 55+ housing? I didn't see any info about that on the website.
Not sure. I was going to call them about the housing lottery for the development. I'll post what I learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning