Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 12:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Are you saying US cities are not growing at the rate has cities in Canada? Canada seems to stick the poor in little pocket areas in high density areas where as the US poor is stuck in ghetto areas with lower density more spread out.
Right now no - Canada is growing at a rate of 2X that of the U.S.

Back in the late 50's not sure but I think the U.S's immigration growth surge preceded Canada's. Canada followed suit but at a later time. The U.S was also better equipped to spread that growth around to a lot more areas and population centre's which is different from Canada.

I'm not sure about where the two countries 'stick' their poor. Typically though, poorer individuals in Canada live in higher density buildings built in the 60's to 80's. They are there because they are or at least were more affordable abodes than SFH's or mid-rise development. In Toronto, regardless where you live you are essentially well served by frequent PT transit options. A lot are bussing routes feeding more mass transit options (and just feeding themselves). but they are well served, so these individuals would be able to rely on PT and not have a car even if they weren't and are not to this day on a mass transit line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 12:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
You might enjoy this bubbles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZDZtBRTyeI&t=363s

Old 09-12-2023, 03:41 PM

537 posts, read 188,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_deLight View Post
The example given was simply to illustrate that the absence of a particular resource in one area is not a bar to development.

...and their answer would be importing more water from elsewhere. Just like every city out there must bring in resources from outside of the city.

Your country has an energy and resource crises. Yet it is simply importing more from elsewhere.

California had a water crises before yet some thought it would be great to develop/"densify" in Southern California. More people in the area increased the water needed well beyond the water available. Political weight enabled diverting water away from areas that had it to feed Los Angeles through expensive aqueducts, canals, and pipelines.

Densification as you promote does not solve resource shortages - it tends to exacerbate them for the most part.
You failed to illustrate anything. California is struggling with providing enough drinking water for its population. It has the highest water bill in the country. And the expensive infrastructure for providing water needs to be paid. This only supports my point, that the lack of a resource can be a problem for development in an area.

Quote:
Hmmm.
How sad.
Don't see anything particularly "exciting" about the dense "walkable" area. If anything the appearances seems a bit depressing. Don't think you'll find many wanting to trade in a house on a lot for a graffiti-laden multifamily unit.
You mean those single family homes look depressing right?

Well you haven't seen these here yet:

https://goo.gl/maps/Xsy6Bg88zakPR8zV9

https://goo.gl/maps/2PLWY8HGhVj49YTn7

https://goo.gl/maps/gJerer5fxViZKLMV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't know about Brazil, but the govt owns the land, not individuals, don't they? Second is...they don't need it, since the build UP, centering around big cities, or separately on farms. Third is...lack of citizens owning vehicles to travel the distance to work? Also, lack of extensive road system? Also, citizens can't afford to own homes? Just some guesses.

Those are different cultures, different way of life.
In Brazil land is owned by citizens. Why do so many Americans always think that people in other countries don't have rights? That's crazy.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
America is a car culture. Infrastructure and communities were build with that in mind. When more people have a vehicle, then they can live a little further from their job/shopping/healthcare/school/etc... That encouraged the housing developments, strip malls, drive thrus, and beltways we have today. It's an unfortunate reality for those that want denser housing, mass transit, and 15 minute cities. However, the culture of the US is not likely to change. Cars grant individuals with freedom of movement, independence, and a sense of ownership of something. They might be an expensive mode of transpiration, but most Americans like that!

And that is why American suburbs are unique.

I was in Europe this summer, and I enjoyed the walkability of most places I went to. But I also enjoy my Subaru, and having the liberty to get in it and drive to the mountains if I want! Or stop at Buccee's when I drive in the south.
Imagine you can have both in Europe.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:57 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
You failed to illustrate anything. California is struggling with providing enough drinking water for its population. It has the highest water bill in the country. And the expensive infrastructure for providing water needs to be paid. This only supports my point, that the lack of a resource can be a problem for development in an area.
None of what you claim is relevant.
Many cities are struggling to provide adequate water, now.
That did not stop them from being built or growing to start with.

Quote:
You mean those single family homes look depressing right?

Well you haven't seen these here yet:

https://goo.gl/maps/Xsy6Bg88zakPR8zV9

https://goo.gl/maps/2PLWY8HGhVj49YTn7

https://goo.gl/maps/gJerer5fxViZKLMV8

Nope I was referring to the multifamily housing you portrayed.
Your video of “worst hoods in Houston” shows that even in the worst neighborhoods the residents enjoy detached SFH as compared to average housing you portray for Europe

Old 09-12-2023, 04:25 PM

1,230 posts, read 989,118 times
If you look at China topographic the only building can be done in the east and south area because of the mountains.

https://images.fineartamerica.com/im...k-ramspott.jpg

Old 09-12-2023, 06:38 PM

What is this map of northern Ontario https://www.itmb.ca/shop/images/samp...Back_small.jpg

It looks like millions of rivers in northern Ontario? If that is what the map is showing than northern Ontario can’t really have any city there.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:57 PM

Quote:
None of what you claim is relevant.
Many cities are struggling to provide adequate water, now.
That did not stop them from being built or growing to start with.

Nope I was referring to the multifamily housing you portrayed.
Your video of “worst hoods in Houston” shows that even in the worst neighborhoods the residents enjoy detached SFH as compared to average housing you portray for Europe
ESPECIALLY the worst neighborhoods do have detached SFH in the US and around the world as well. They are called slums. Most multi unit buildings are an upgrade compared to those.

And not all cities are struggling equally to provide adequate water, because location and access to resources makes a difference. In some areas it makes it so expensive, that building there doesn't make any sense.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:01 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,994,990 times
Quote:
ESPECIALLY the worst neighborhoods do have detached SFH in the US and around the world as well. They are called slums. Most multi unit buildings are an upgrade compared to those.

And not all cities are struggling equally to provide adequate water, because location and access to resources makes a difference. In some areas it makes it so expensive, that building there doesn't make any sense.
Detroit didn't have a water problem due to access. It had a water problem because not enough people were paying their water bills. I would beg to differ about a multi unit building being an upgrade. They would have less space, more noise, less choice about what they an do with and in their property and multiunit building areas can be crime filled as well.

Old 09-12-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:

That’s what I was getting at Canada puts there poor into high rise apartments where the US poor are in ghetto homes and low rise apartments a very different culture. The US has large section of city ghetto area and Canada as pockets here and there. And the US land value cost is much lower in the US.

The land value cost in Vancouver and Toronto is so high you would never get city block abandon like Philadelphia that alone ghetto areas like Philadelphia. The land value cost is just so high that you really can’t have ghettos in Canada.

The homeless are mostly moved from one area of street to other street every day and gone are days of the 90s and before of squatters.

The land value cost is just very costly in Vancouver and Toronto area.The Vancouver east side open drug market and homeless is being replaced by new buildings being build in the area. The homeless and drug users are by million dollar condos.That how out of control cost of housing is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning